Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Best weekend train to London ticketing options?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Two adults and a 9-year-old to and from London tomorrow - what are the best/cheapest ticket options?

National Rail says £38.40 to Victoria (from Worthing), or £50.25 for travel cards - is that as good as it gets?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From playing around with passenger numbers that £38.40 seems to be a form of "kids go free" - it's 40p more for 2 adults than with 2 adults and a child.

DEN_WSU

Jan 5, 2012
Brighton
If you can book specific train times you should get it much cheaper than that. Especially if you don't plan to use the tube much. Be better to get two singles rather than a return and use contactless on the tube.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If you can book specific train times you should get it much cheaper than that. Especially if you don't plan to use the tube much. Be better to get singles two singles rather than a return and use contactless on the tube.

I've just saved myself about £50 a month going contactless on tube. I'd never really though of it before.

My 3 days per week commute is Brighton->Victoria->tube toTottenham Hale->Overland train to Northumberland Park

I always used to buy a monthly travel card, but recently have changed to a monthly ticket to Victoria then go contactless for the rest.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If you can book specific train times you should get it much cheaper than that. Especially if you don't plan to use the tube much. Be better to get two singles rather than a return and use contactless on the tube.

Not on a day's notice with the inconvenience of being tied to trains. You wouldn't beat 38 quid for three people return anyway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Doesn't seem to be the case. £38.40 is for all three, BTW.

I chose a Saturday way in the future and it was slightly cheaper - £31.00, so I think £38.40 is probably as good as it gets at this relatively short notice.

Jul 7, 2003
Get a network card and that takes a third off the cost. Mine repaid itself within a couple of London away games last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here