Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Back the Babes

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The 2015 Women's World Cup smashed global viewing figures reaching 750m. This one will beat that record convincingly. Fifa is expecting over a billion this time round.

So 1 person in 7 on the planet will be watching the ladies World Cup....?

r95422_2017810_16345368927.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Despite all the record breaking attendances last seasons all around Europe...

You're being a little selective with the truth. There were some big attendances for some one-off exhibition games here and there, primarily because of free tickets and school parties being let in for nothing.

The attendances for League games across all the major Womens leagues, including Englands, are in decline. The English WSL is down to an average of about 830 now (from about 1200 5 years ago).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
These figures are misleading, for example 3.5bn were said watched the men's World Cup in 2018... but it considers anyone who tunes in to be a viewer.

In other words, viewing figures should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Is women’s football, as a spectator sport, really on the rise? Or does it appear to be because the BBC is obsessed with promoting and the FA essentially “fundscrowd”

Possibly also as the BBC has so little live sport nowadays, they're happy to take anything they can get.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's pointless gauging the popularity of Women's football by looking at average league attendances, for example watch that average increase significantly next season now that Man Utd are back in the WSL. It doesn't mean that it's more popular, just that circumstances have changed.

Until Women's football is on the big stage in the league as well, like it is with finals or other big games, which DO get massive record breaking attendances these days, then you won't see a significant increase in league attendances, so it is pointless looking at them.

I'd completely disagree, its FAR from "pointless" looking at League attendances. If you are trying to grow a sport, then surely people actually turning up regularly to support a womens team is vital. At the moment its only sustainable on a professional level because it is being bankrolled by the mens game.

Man Utd Ladies's attendances averaged between 1,500 - 1,800, so above average, but when they enter a 12 team division next season, its not going to give a significant boost to the overall average of the League.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some of the comments on this post are awful.:sick:

You should have been on here back in 99 if you think these are awful. This place is incredibly sanitised to what it was back then. Have a look at some of the Gold threads

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Appears to have significant interest at National / major competition level, but then so do many sports when theres a chance to wave flags and get behind ‘your’ team (he says without being able to name one player for Cricket, Hockey etc!). As a spectator sport, do the Albion and others attract many thousands on a weekly basis? I’ve no idea having no real interest in.

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
You should have been on here back in 99 if you think these are awful. This place is incredibly sanitised to what it was back then. Have a look at some of the Gold threads

I understand it used to be worse, but for there to be a thread about woman’s football, and within 10 posts someone already posting a picture of the team and rating each one of them based on their looks is just odd.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I understand it used to be worse, but for there to be a thread about woman’s football, and within 10 posts someone already posting a picture of the team and rating each one of them based on their looks is just odd.

It is VERY NSC though

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Wahey! Casual Sexism.

LADZ LADZ LADZ. Look at our wicked banter. We’re so cool.

What about you with your ‘casual outrage’? I’d say that’s more problematic these days, entire generation now hard wired to instinctively look for offence first, in EVERYTHING!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Never mind all that shit. There's a FINGER BUFFET. I, for one, am genuinely interested as to what will be in it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
.... and you don’t think women look at blokes without rating them? They’re just a bit more subtle about it.

I reckon women are just as bad as men these days in that respect, especially younger sports orientated ones.

SAC

May 21, 2014
What about you with your ‘casual outrage’? I’d say that’s more problematic these days, entire generation now hard wired to instinctively look for offence first, in EVERYTHING!

Just finished Ben Elton's new novel which is based on this.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I reckon women are just as bad as men these days in that respect, especially younger sports orientated ones.

Yes, you can just feel it cant you? A group of women walk past and you immediately know they are all scoring you out of 10. I’m not sure how much longer I can put up with it before I become outraged. Similarly when they laugh at me when I’m in the supermarket looking for bread.

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

I’m not particularly offended. In fact the main thing I take offence with is just how boring and predictable it was. Only missing a joke about them taking their tops off for the full set of jokes you’d expect an edgy 14 year old to make. It’s just boring isn’t it?

I just find it strange that this forum goes in to total meltdown if a nasty man on another teams forum makes a homophobic joke about our fans but sexism is fair game. This forum is an avalanche of snowflakes half the time, just think what is and isn’t a joking subject on here is a bit all over the place.

Brighton has lots of gay men. Their fans are gay = thick northern knuckle dragger.
Women playing football = funny because they’re women.

.... and you don’t think women look at blokes without rating them? They’re just a bit more subtle about than blokes.

This is such a f*cking stupid point I’m not even going to bother replying to it properly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here