Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bury FC.

Shaker01

Jun 6, 2019
Hi all-lifelong Shaker (55) here.

Pretty tough times at Gigg Lane with our previous owner vastly over-spending and our new one proving
difficult to say the least. Suffice to say we have a winding up order deferred to the 19th June but the prospect of administration to save the club.
I once got to the old Goldstone Ground, Liam Robinson put us 1 up, only for Brighton to triumph 2-1 (03rd October 1987).
Can't recall the last meeting at Gigg and it's highly unlikely we''ll play you in the league for some time-assuming we stay in business.

Genrally get to Brighton once a year when I visIt relative in Surrey and have seen 'Lanci' at Hove many times.
Also found a pub with an old fashioned jukebox,2nd left as you walk down from the station and about 150 yards on the left-something of a rarity these days!

If you can assist ladies/gents fivers, tenners or whatever you can afford it would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

https://www.gofundme.com/save-bury-football-club

Jul 7, 2003
Sadly we've been here before. I think I still have family names on a couple of seats at Gigg Lane after a previous plea for help.

Shaker01

Jun 6, 2019
Thanks guys appreciated and yes we have been here before.
Hopefully never again!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I always have massive respect for the smaller clubs in our larger cities.
Bury are one of those clubs it is impossible to dislike for any reason, although I think I remember a bundle or two back in the day.
As a Brighton fan my conscience is always pricked when clubs like Bury need some help and I will do what I can to help.
I think Brighton fans should always be towards the front of the queue for any assistance in helping a club like Bury.
I hope we never forget that, whatever our future brings

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Sorry to hear of your struggles. It does seem that this is a regular problem for Bury, this being the third time I can recall pleas for help. How does a team like Bury break out of this cycle ?
PS I'm not intending to be critical this is a problem for a lot of lower league clubs, and without Tony Bloom we would be at risk too.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sadly we've been here before. I think I still have family names on a couple of seats at Gigg Lane after a previous plea for help.
Me too...gave £100 to a previous appeal...assumed I had a row to myself!!
The actual seat naming didn't ever happen last appeal for reasons lost in time.

Good cause nevertheless.

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Remember back in the day sponsoring a seat at Bury. £10 I think it was to have your name put on to help them out. Did this ever happen?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
My only visit coincided with Zamora’s exquisite chip on the run. My favourite goal for a long time...

Had a great experience in the social club pre match and recall being served by Gary Neville’s mum and seeing Neville Neville.

Have you thought of reaching out to the family? [I know they’re busy up the road but shouldn’t forget their roots I’m sure]

Sadly my own finances make a donation impossible atm but sending lots of goodwill and happy to spread the word.

Football United will never be defeated.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry to hear of your struggles. It does seem that this is a regular problem for Bury, this being the third time I can recall pleas for help. How does a team like Bury break out of this cycle ?
PS I'm not intending to be critical this is a problem for a lot of lower league clubs, and without Tony Bloom we would be at risk too.

Indeed. All clubs, regardless of level, are involved in their own arms race. They all spend money they haven't got to achieve league positions they can't sustain. Currently the only business model that works is to have a really wealthy owner; even in the PL with all its riches that's still largely the case. And yes, thank God for Tony Bloom. And yes it is madness. Clubs without wealthy owners constantly go through this depressing cycle. When their unsustainabilty gets to a certain level they pass round the begging bowl and/or go into Administration and/or get a new owner. This solves the problem and then the cycle starts again.

Only it doesn't solve the problem as Bury have proved. So what can we (football) do? A tempting answer is to say 'Make the PL clubs share the TV money with the rest of football', but I don't think that alone would work. If all League 2 clubs where given an extra 20 million a year, sure initially it would be great as they'd all clear their debts. But then this handout would be factored in to their incomes, and the temptation to live beyond their means (again) will be irresistible to some. All that will happen is clubs will go bust with way bigger debts!

Like you I don't want to sound unsympathetic or critical, and I am aware that this post can be taken as the sort of pompous lecture that a rich relative may give to a hard-working but poorer one (not meant in that spirit though), but we have been here before. What's going to change?

All the best to Bury and their loyal fans.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Hi all-lifelong Shaker (55) here.

Pretty tough times at Gigg Lane with our previous owner vastly over-spending and our new one proving
difficult to say the least. Suffice to say we have a winding up order deferred to the 19th June but the prospect of administration to save the club.
I once got to the old Goldstone Ground, Liam Robinson put us 1 up, only for Brighton to triumph 2-1 (03rd October 1987).
Can't recall the last meeting at Gigg and it's highly unlikely we''ll play you in the league for some time-assuming we stay in business.

Genrally get to Brighton once a year when I visIt relative in Surrey and have seen 'Lanci' at Hove many times.
Also found a pub with an old fashioned jukebox,2nd left as you walk down from the station and about 150 yards on the left-something of a rarity these days!

If you can assist ladies/gents fivers, tenners or whatever you can afford it would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

https://www.gofundme.com/save-bury-football-club

Shame you got your new 'owner' rather than the Salford lot.

Maybe the time has come for the nursery club system in the Football League?

Rather than the Under 23 league in the Premier, should say Manchester City or United effectively take over the ownership of Bury and run it as a youth/reserve/development club?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Shame you got your new 'owner' rather than the Salford lot.

Maybe the time has come for the nursery club system in the Football League?

Rather than the Under 23 league in the Premier, should say Manchester City or United effectively take over the ownership of Bury and run it as a youth/reserve/development club?

I agree that that sounds sensible but I don't know how the smaller club's fans would react. Say for example when were on our uppers in the mid 90s (as we were) and Chelsea had come in to save us with the proviso that we blood their younger players who can then move on up to their parent club when the parent club needs or wants them - would that take it away from us as a going concern ? Especially if Chelsea had then said - we want these players "blooded" in the league but we want them playing in this particular way and we'll install our own managerial/coaching team and we'd effectively lose our own identity and become just a nursery for the Chelsea starlets. I'm using Chelsea as the example as they're near to us but it could, just as well be Liverpool using Tranmere or West Ham using Orient.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

I'd forgotten all about that. Was a few years ago. I believe my name is on a seat there somewhere. I have friends who are lifelong Bury supporters so happy to help. Bury was one of the better awaydays compared to some of their near neighbours.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd forgotten all about that. Was a few years ago. I believe my name is on a seat there somewhere. I have friends who are lifelong Bury supporters so happy to help. Bury was one of the better awaydays compared to some of their near neighbours.
Your name isn't on a seat, for whatever reason that never happened in the end - but that hardly matters in the overall picture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here