Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone read the book A Natural by Ross Raisin?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've just finished it. It's a novel about a gay footballer at a lower-league club and the relationship that he tries to conceal from team-mates, family members etc. It's had pretty good reviews.

The footballer plays for a team referred to only as "Town" but all the other teams that crop up in the story are real. Brighton get a mention, a reference to the homophobic chants that our fans have been treated to over the years.

Some sections of the book are presented as excerpts from the web forum that Town fans inhabit. Some of the posts read like the kind of thing you'd see on NSC or elsewhere but the homophobia that emerges is something you definitely wouldn't see on here without it being closed down pretty quickly and the perpetrator banned. So that element of the book jarred with me a bit, as did a lot of the casual anti-gay "banter" among the players and the heckling from fans. But maybe we're just lucky to support a club where that kind of thing is seen as part of the dark ages, along with racism and the like.

Anyway, it's an interesting read, partly for the way it deals with the issue of footballers coming out (or not), but also an insight into life as a lower-league player. It feels like the author has done a lot of research.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some sections of the book are presented as excerpts from the web forum that Town fans inhabit. Some of the posts read like the kind of thing you'd see on NSC or elsewhere but the homophobia that emerges is something you definitely wouldn't see on here without it being closed down pretty quickly and the perpetrator banned. So that element of the book jarred with me a bit.

It jarred with you because NSC is your reference point. If you've ever clicked through the links people have posted to threads about us on forums like Huddersfield, Burnley, Palace, etc, you'd probably feel that the author's imagined forum is sadly, fairly realistic.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It jarred with you because NSC is your reference point. If you've ever clicked through the links people have posted to threads about us on forums like Huddersfield, Burnley, Palace, etc, you'd probably feel that the author's imagined forum is sadly, fairly realistic.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping wouldn't be the case but you're probably right.

It's not easy being part of the metropolitan liberal elite ... you miss so much of what's going on in the real world.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Yes, we're a right bunch of wet pinko liberals here (with a few notable exceptions...)

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I read it last year and really enjoyed it but I've got a memory like a sieve and am strugggling to recall much about it.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
So that element of the book jarred with me a bit, as did a lot of the casual anti-gay "banter" among the players and the heckling from fans. But maybe we're just lucky to support a club where that kind of thing is seen as part of the dark ages, along with racism and the like.

Why did the casual anti-gay banter among the players jar? Unfortunately that’s exactly what I’d guess goes on during training at a lot of clubs.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Why did the casual anti-gay banter among the players jar? Unfortunately that’s exactly what I’d guess goes on during training at a lot of clubs.

I don't know, maybe I'm just never in an environment where I hear that kind of stuff. But then I'm not a footballer, although I am a member of the metropolitan elite, and a snowflake to boot.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Read and enjoyed it, but rate his other one - God's Own Country - a grisly North Yorkshire Wasp Factory style novel - higher.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here