Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Does anyone on here use a DASHCAM ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm kicking around the idea of getting one. I've thought about doing it a few times but never quite got round to it. Then the other day I was westbound on the inside lane of the Old Shoreham Road near Benfield, and some utter NIMROD cut right across me from the outside lane, jammed on his brakes and pulled straight into that offroad parking bit just before the library, almost taking my front wing with him. I've only had this car a couple of weeks, so frustratingly couldn't find my HORN in time to give him a good BLAST.

Anyways, its got me back to thinking about installing a dashcam. I've heard it can also slightly reduce your insurance premiums. Anyone else invested ? Recommendations ? Looks like there's some decent ones floating about for £25-£30. Over to the wise sages of NSC (and I await Enrests inevitable thread with anticipation).

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I've had one in the glove box of my car for about 6 months as I've never got round to fitting it, the more I drive the more I need to find time to fit it.

I'm no angel when it comes to driving but some of the stuff I've seen is an argument for capital punishment, my problem is I hate having wires all over the place so I want it to be hardwired in and the wires tucked away out of sight.

From what I found when I did my research the cheap ones can be fine in daylight but virtually useless at night, the extra money goes towards a better sensor that has better low light performance.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Ive got a Next base Dash cam. Was around £100 a couple of years back. Came in very handy after an accident I had on the M42, long story short I was hit in the back by a van [fleet vehicle]. The driver admitted responsibility at the scene however the companies insurance did everything they could to avoid paying up, saying I was changing lanes, braking unnecessarily etc. Because it was a motorway crash no other driver stopped / no witnesses so the dash cam was the only evidence available and enabled me to claim back costs / prove the accident was their fault. Would 100% recomend,

Edit: This is the one I have - if buying use Bozzas link! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-3...&s=gateway&sprefix=nextbase+da,aps,130&sr=8-3

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
You’ll want one with automatic saving upon impact.
No good crashing, taken to hospital etc., meanwhile the dash cam is still recording (as plugged in etc.) and overwriting the SD cars that has the footage/evidence you need.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
The wife has one but never remembers to get it out the glove box and use it. Its an ugly thing (cam not my wife) with a wire to the power. You have to remember to set it up and record every journey just in case which is a pain.

As more and more cars have parking cameras now, it would be easy be factory fitted, then it would be neat, discrete and the car can have a hidden hard drive making life and insurance much easier.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have always just left mine plugged in all the time. It turns itself on and off with the engine, and is always recording while the power is on. Not painful at all.

Same. I feel much more comfortable having it too, as there is some seriously shit driving going on. In the event of an accident at least you have the footage. If it’s your fault remember to remove the dash cam before you get out of the car though :wink:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Mine was about £30 from Amazon. Leave it plugged in. It has impact and proximity sensors so records anyone that comes near the front area of the car. Can't remember the name off hand. Wires are tucked into edge of windscreen and edge of door lining under the carpet and to the power outlet (cigarette lighter).

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
I bought a very cheap one through 'Amazon'. The name shows as 'Isyoung' and after buying an SD card total cost was less than £25. It works fine and video picture has good definition even at night.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No good crashing, taken to hospital etc., meanwhile the dash cam is still recording (as plugged in etc.) and overwriting the SD cars that has the footage/evidence you need.

Guess its OK as long as its not your fault

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Got a nextbase from Halfords who fitted it well quite cheaply. Think all in about £120 for decent one Which approved. Just sits there recording over and over. You get the software to download stuff to your pc. Takes a bit of getting used to on the screen but after a while you don’t notice it. There just in case of personal issue or helpful if some clown f**ks up someone else’s life.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I don't have one, and I've no idea why I think 't.wat' when I see one pointing at me from the rear window of the car in front, as to be fair they're a good idea in principle. Not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way, and I've no real idea why I do.. :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Mine goes into emergency mode even if you brake hard and all emergency recordings are saved. In fact it does it if you even move the machine by hand when it’s on. I filled mine up with emergency recordings, mostly by moving it when it was on, over a couple of months and it flashed up that it was full, so had to delete everything. It was about £100 to buy so not sure if the cheaper ones do the same.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't have one, and I've no idea why I think 't.wat' when I see one pointing at me from the rear window of the car in front, as to be fair they're a good idea in principle. Not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way, and I've no real idea why I do.. :shrug:

I bet you love it when the car also has personalised plates too :smile:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought these were only used by Russians to get video footage of asteroids burning their way across the sky.

Is there a suggestion they serve another purpose?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I always laugh when I see cyclists and Motorcyclists wearing helmet cams. If I was a Copper aiming for promotion I'd be topping up my arrest count by regularly stopping these people and reviewing their footage. kerching !

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've a NextBase that cost £120 a few years back and includes GPS. I checked the SD card recently and picture quality was good plus, using the free software, I can plot my journey via a map.
Recently purchased a couple of cheap £10 units for van and as a rear camera. Hope they're working.
On a round-a-bout this week a car came from my right and went flying off to my left, totally cutting me up, all illegal and missing me by inches. The camera would have caught it all and even now I could inform the Police as I will have his reg.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cheers for the comments, comrades. I think I might invest in a mid-range one, if I can finds me a way of tucking the wire away nicely. That loggerheaded six-toed felching COCKSPANGLE who cut me up this week has given me the little nudge I need.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I invested in a nextbase last year, I do a lot of driving in London and noticed over the years how the standards of driving have dropped, I’d be amazed if half the drivers within the M25 hold a valid UK license, it’s quite amusing sometimes to have a look back at some of the clowns on the roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here