Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Does anyone on here use a DASHCAM ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've had one 3 years now - cheepo £40 and I don't set to continuous recording [to avoid overwrite] - I have a 2nd 32Gb micro SD card in the car and swap them over when 1 is full. I then download all the full one to PC and keep for about 2 months.

Never needed it to be my perfect unbiased witness in an accident situation [fortunately]

I would really like CrimeStoppers to encourage receipt of illegal or dangerous driving dash-cam footage - maybe not a prosecution, but a knock on the door from the boys in blue to remind dodgy drivers that evidence is being captured and to stop driving like idiots. Hell no, public flogging far more appropriate, that'll learn 'em.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wish I had one. Countless times of cars changing lanes without signalling or possibly looking. Also seen loads of mobile phones clutched in one hand while driving. I guess it's to tell everyone on facebook when they stopped in traffic.

I had a week in Malta last year, I fully appreciate what you are saying. We had a bus pass for the week and in a weird piece of symmetry, our bus was almost T-Boned by lorries at roundabouts on the way from the airport to the hotel and on the return journey to the airport !

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I've had one 3 years now - cheepo £40 and I don't set to continuous recording [to avoid overwrite] - I have a 2nd 32Gb micro SD card in the car and swap them over when 1 is full. I then download all the full one to PC and keep for about 2 months.

Never needed it to be my perfect unbiased witness in an accident situation [fortunately]

I would really like CrimeStoppers to encourage receipt of illegal or dangerous driving dash-cam footage - maybe not a prosecution, but a knock on the door from the boys in blue to remind dodgy drivers that evidence is being captured and to stop driving like idiots. Hell no, public flogging far more appropriate, that'll learn 'em.

If you are in Sussex you can do that here:

http://www.operationcrackdown.org/

I think you have to provide a link to the footage (e.g. to a YouTube channel) rather than upload it. Presumably Shropshire Police have something similar.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Err....out of interest, why ?

Whats the point, if nothings happened ?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I had a week in Malta last year, I fully appreciate what you are saying. We had a bus pass for the week and in a weird piece of symmetry, our bus was almost T-Boned by lorries at roundabouts on the way from the airport to the hotel and on the return journey to the airport !

The Maltese highway code states that the largest vehicle has right of way at roundabouts. Problems occur when arguments start over whose vehicle is biggest! :clap2:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Maltese highway code states that the largest vehicle has right of way at roundabouts. Problems occur when arguments start over whose vehicle is biggest! :clap2:

Ha ha Lorry v Bus ! Now I know how it came about I was three feet away from a very angry lorry driver !

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Like the OP I'm thinking of doing the same. So thanks for all the advice.

On a side note, has anyone had any front sensors installed? My car has loads of gadgets but seems to be missing this one. Any recommendations for them?

No front sensors :eek:

How on earth do you manage?

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
No front sensors :eek:

How on earth do you manage?

On a side note, my landlord once told me that I was the best parker of a car that he'd ever known, because every night I was parked exactly 5" from a large concrete post.
What he didn't know, was that I used to smash into that post every night, and bounce back five inches...

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2018
I invested in a nextbase last year, I do a lot of driving in London and noticed over the years how the standards of driving have dropped, I’d be amazed if half the drivers within the M25 hold a valid UK license, it’s quite amusing sometimes to have a look back at some of the clowns on the roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Refer to the Uber thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They are one step ahead of you:-

helmet cam cyclist shops 325 drivers in a year

https://road.cc/content/news/261826-west-midlands-helmet-cam-cyclist-shops-325-drivers-year

...oh

#NotWhatYouMeant. [emoji38]
I hooted one of these goons a few years back for cycling in the middle of the road instead of his cycle lane, could see him in my rearview mirror pointing at his camera.
Didn't hear anything so assume he worked out his mistake..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
I thought these were only used by Russians to get video footage of asteroids burning their way across the sky.

Is there a suggestion they serve another purpose?

I unwittingly caught one of those spaceballs on my dashcam last year.

On the A272, rather than in Novosibirsk though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I got one for about £30 on Amazon and its great quality picture even at night. Also bought a hard wiring kit from Amazon for about £10 and following a YouTube guide video hardwired the cam into my cars fuse box (piggybacked the cigarette lighter fuse slot) so it automatically comes on when the ignition turns on. Plus I hide the wires behind the roof and A pillar trims so you don't have any ugly exposed wires.

Got one for the Mrs after someone hit her in the side last year and claimed it was her fault (Mrs in main road and hit on back wheel but driver pulling out from side road). Claim still being challenged and is going to court as the other driver is claiming my wife drove into the back of her even though the damage is on the front of the other car and side of ours. Whole fiasco would have been solved if A. The Mrs had a dashcam B. Admiral weren't the worst insurance company in the world

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Err....out of interest, why ?

Whats the point, if nothings happened ?

Bit like having insurance and not having a claim [although that's mandatory obviously].
I guess I've been lucky not to have needed to produce my own video evidence to defend my word against someone elses.
So, yes, been pointless up until now, but who knows what might happen tomorrow ...

Edit: just re-read and now realise you are referring to why I keep the footage for a couple of months. I've several times heard an appeal for passer-by / dash-cam footage to an incident that, at the time, I either didn't see or didn't think was relevant. Likelihood of it ever happening is slim, granted - but maybe, one day, my camera may have captured something quite innocuous but turns out to be a serious crime in progress. So why not hang on to it for a short while ....

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Does that mean it stops recording the instance it detects a collision or very hard braking? If so, doesn't this mean that recording ceases just before any consequential road rage incident starts?

No, it keeps recording until the 32Gb micro SD card is full - shows "Card Full" so I rotate with a second card when safe to do so.
It can be set for continuous revolving door type recording set to e.g. every 10 mins. But that means anything that happened more than 11 mins ago will have been overwritten so I choose not to use that setting.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Edit: just re-read and now realise you are referring to why I keep the footage for a couple of months. I've several times heard an appeal for passer-by / dash-cam footage to an incident that, at the time, I either didn't see or didn't think was relevant. Likelihood of it ever happening is slim, granted - but maybe, one day, my camera may have captured something quite innocuous but turns out to be a serious crime in progress. So why not hang on to it for a short while ....

It's quite common for police to appeal for dash cam footage from a certain area at a certain time if there was a serious incident and they're hoping to see anyone running away etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here