Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Does anyone on here use a DASHCAM ?

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
Check out the Nexar phone app. You can use your phone’s camera or bluetooth connect to a compatible camera. They provide a list of units that are compatible.
The app starts as soon as you start you journey and records hard breaking moments etc and stores them in the cloud.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've a NextBase that cost £120 a few years back and includes GPS. I checked the SD card recently and picture quality was good plus, using the free software, I can plot my journey via a map.
Recently purchased a couple of cheap £10 units for van and as a rear camera. Hope they're working.
On a round-a-bout this week a car came from my right and went flying off to my left, totally cutting me up, all illegal and missing me by inches. The camera would have caught it all and even now I could inform the Police as I will have his reg.

Its a no brainer. My nephew avoided a scrap when a cockwomble decided to start some road rage. All he had to do was point at the dashcam and the tough guy turned round and went away.
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] just get Halfords to fit it. They'll do a much better job.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I always laugh when I see cyclists and Motorcyclists wearing helmet cams. If I was a Copper aiming for promotion I'd be topping up my arrest count by regularly stopping these people and reviewing their footage. kerching !

I hear you!! Particularly the wannabe Barry Sheens!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I invested in a nextbase last year, I do a lot of driving in London and noticed over the years how the standards of driving have dropped, I’d be amazed if half the drivers within the M25 hold a valid UK license, it’s quite amusing sometimes to have a look back at some of the clowns on the roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should see the clowns on the Brexit thread !

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I’m also quite interested in getting one for exactly the same reasons as [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]. It’s a matter of time before I have a collision on the Holmbush roundabout due to the lack of lane discipline displayed by so many morons. Are you meant to have a camera in the back too or is it just, as the name suggests, one for the dashboard?
Those lanes are diabolical though.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
You should see the clowns on the Brexit thread !

Are they on camera?
e1be671e020290f02b4b6917487e9fa2.jpg

If this mess bounced across my bonnet she would write the ****er off!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He must have to do a frightful amount of editing when he gets home from work, I very much doubt he would just hand over the footage without it.

So your take away isn't:-

Blimey that's evidence of a lot of traffic law violations by cars.
It's
I bet the one cyclist was worse.

Genius.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Out of interest, how much info does the recording show? Is it just the image, or does it include vehicle speed, time of day etc?

Is it true you can decline to share the images if they are to your disadvantage. Isn't that like withholding evidence from emails?

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If I didn't feel so self conscious about looking like a (slightly) underweight tellytubby, I'd probably get a camera to strap to my bike helmet. I've lost count of the number times drivers pull such manoeuvres around me or cyclists ahead of me - coming from behind, speeding up outside of them and barging across the bike lane. They think it's ok because there was (usually*) no accident, without realising that there was no accident because the cyclist (and the OP in his car) break to avoid one. It's probably why so many bad drivers (yes, and cyclists) continue to to behave so badly - other people around them avert serious accidents, and since no accident occurs they think their behaviour is fine. No one got hurt.

*my colleague had her arm broken when knocked off her bike by a van pulling this move at the bottom of moulsecoomb way.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Out of interest, how much info does the recording show? Is it just the image, or does it include vehicle speed, time of day etc?

Is it true you can decline to share the images if they are to your disadvantage. Isn't that like withholding evidence from emails?

Mine shows location [GPS] time, date, speed of my car and registration plate. I believe all these data points can be switched on/off in settings if you so wish.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So your take away isn't:-

Blimey that's evidence of a lot of traffic law violations by cars.
It's
I bet the one cyclist was worse.

Genius.

No, my take was he only saw motorists breaking the law ? I'm sure this cyclist was a paragon of virtue when on the road himself but must have had some kind of blinkers on when a cyclist infringes the law ? Thanks, but hardly a genius level of deduction.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I always laugh when I see cyclists and Motorcyclists wearing helmet cams. If I was a Copper aiming for promotion I'd be topping up my arrest count by regularly stopping these people and reviewing their footage. kerching !

I wish I had one. Countless times of cars changing lanes without signalling or possibly looking. Also seen loads of mobile phones clutched in one hand while driving. I guess it's to tell everyone on facebook when they stopped in traffic.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Like the OP I'm thinking of doing the same. So thanks for all the advice.

On a side note, has anyone had any front sensors installed? My car has loads of gadgets but seems to be missing this one. Any recommendations for them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here