Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] D-Day Anniversary- Keeping Calm And Carrying On- June 6th 1944

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Very few of our heroes will be left for the next significant anniversary.

This one has captured my heart as I see the images of those who are still with us and ponder, like a few NSCers will, about those in their own families who fought and some of whom were lost.

My Dad passed away last year and I uncovered a group of letters he received at the time in his hunt for autographs. Below is the one that got me so focused on today's events. Received on 8th March 1945 from the local mayor's office. The last paragraph showing that Dad had proudly mentioned Charlie's contribution to the war effort. This was three months before his brother, my uncle, made the journey across the channel going on to join the liberation of Belsen.

Letter.jpg

Perhaps others have memories and stories they would wish to share.

Anyone in Twitter may like to know that Bletchley Park have given their feed over to the intercepted messages timeline as coded on the exact times during the day itself. It's very gripping.

Follow: #BletchleyParkDDay

Due to Bletchley Park's work, prior to the Normandy landings on D-Day in June 1944, the Allies knew the locations of all but two of Germany's fifty-eight Western-front divisions.

[tweet]1136508516309639173[/tweet]

Keep calm and carry on..

654f23a6-e60a-4c0f-9f3a-888dc7863836.jpg

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Interesting and thanks for sharing!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’ve read ‘em all regarding D-Day, but Giles Milton’s latest book on had one particular story about George (?) an 18 year old frogman charged with clearing underwater mines, in the pitch black, the sea pitching him around, just off Sword beach at midnight on the eve of D-Day. Forget courage for the moment, that’s exceptionally skilled just not to blow himself up. But the responsibility on such young shoulders, the very success of D-Day weighed on them, is astonishing. Think - what were you doing aged 18 by comparison?!

They didn’t boast, the didn’t fuss, they simply did their duty: the greatest generation. Thank you.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Visited by D-Day beaches a few years back, its a very moving experience and everyone try and visit if they can.

Incredible men...

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
My grandfather landed at sword as part of the first wave. His job was to keep everything moving off the beach once they had a stronghold. Similar role to the part Kenneth More played in the Longest Day. Needless to say but it was not a subject my grandfather really talked about. He saw his role as a job and serving his country as best he could. Never would he consider himself to be a hero, but he is to me. He died many years ago but I have fond memories of a man who lived quite a simple life. I will remember him today. My children know his story as best as I know it and hope they will it pass down. He visited the landing area numerous times after the war for reflection I believe. He was a religious man and held strong Christian beliefs. I will have a moment to myself this morning. I hope many thousands of others do as well. God bless the memories of my grandfather a Captain and MBE as he was then, and all others who served and were there that game changing but awful day.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Very emotional watching the service this morning particularly when the veterans stood at the memorial and one amongst their number gave the order "Normandy Veterans - Salute". Won't ever happen again.

Lest We Forget

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
75 years doesn't seem all that long ago in the wider scheme of things.
It's all about remembering what those heroic people did for 'king and country' and world peace.
A lot of todays worries pale into insignificance compared to then.
I don't pretend to understand how or what these heroes were feeling at the time, before the initial d day push.
Just that today is a sort of a better world because of it.
I'm in a sort of a privileged position where I can see all the behind the scenes events of yesterday and today.
So I know that todays military will breathe in and experience the moment.:thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
75 years doesn't seem all that long ago in the wider scheme of things.
It's all about remembering what those heroic people did for 'king and country' and world peace.
A lot of todays worries pale into insignificance compared to then.
I don't pretend to understand how or what these heroes were feeling at the time, before the initial d day push.
Just that today is a sort of a better world because of it.
I'm in a sort of a privileged position where I can see all the behind the scenes events of yesterday and today.
So I know that todays military will breathe in and experience the moment.:thumbsup:

It is a wonderful thing regarding the military and all the traditions they observe dating back hundreds of years. My cousin is an officer in the Royal Navy and said they don't have to stand when toasting to royalty because they were accorded the privilege of sitting when Charles II bashed his head replying to a toast in the late 1600s on board the Naseby with it's low timbers.

There are all these various traditions, honours and memories of regimental achievements that get passed through the services which highlight ultimately the part they play, and the parts played by all those before them.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Although none of my family was involved in D Day itself, my grandfather was in the Navy during the War - and my great grandfather served in the Somme during WW1. I've always found WW2, and especially Operation Overlord, a fascinating subject - & we visited the beaches a few years ago with the kids. I would definitely encourage people to go over there if they can....the museums and cemeteries etc are emotional, but well worth the trip.

I guess its being a local lad still living in the area (& being a history buff!) but the whole story of D Day is brought closer to home for me than for some - as we had thousands of troops stationed in this vicinity in the weeks leading up to the day itself. Stanmer Park, Saltdean, Telscombe Tye & Balsdean (the valley behind Rottingdean) were all used to billet the (mainly Canadian) soldiers before they embarked at Newhaven.

Neptune / Overlord was truly an amazing feat that thankfully brought about the end of the war.

And to round it off today, me and my 16yr old son are off to watch Saving Private Ryan at the cinema tonight....himself signing up for the forces (via MOD Military College) in September to start his career & serving his country.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
[tweet]1136542707487322112[/tweet]

If this doesn't bring a tear to your eye..........

Naga was in absolute bits after that...she found it very difficult to carry on.

It was a brilliant interview from start to finish not just this bit.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sword Beach. A week ago it was Ascension Day - a National Holiday in France - and the people of Ouistreham and Caen were out in force enjoying the amusements and cafes that are there now. My initial reaction was disappointment, even a mild resentment but then when I really though about it I was glad because freedom is really what it's all about.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I put this on another thread, but would hope it reaches more here.

Ken Sturdy, recently passed on, talks of his experience at Dunkirk. Not D-Day but the point of his words resonates for anyone who wants to learn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc4wBfh3lwk

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I put this on another thread, but would hope it reaches more here.

Ken Sturdy, recently passed on, talks of his experience at Dunkirk. Not D-Day but the point of his words resonates for anyone who wants to learn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc4wBfh3lwk

Quite possibly one of the most heart wrenching veteran interviews I've seen in a long time. What a man. RIP Ken....you and your friends will not be forgotten.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have just this very day ordered the Antony Beevor book 'D-Day: The Battle For Normandy' off Amazon. Ashamed at my lack of knowledge of our country's breathtaking contribution to saving the world from fascism. Far more ashamed that it was never even touched upon in my four years of doing history (til I dropped the subject as being utterly irrelevent) at grammar school. Know all about the invention of Hargreaves Spinning Jenny and the causes of the Crimean War, but have been playing catch-up on WW1 and WW2 ever since. What gives?

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Although none of my family was involved in D Day itself, my grandfather was in the Navy during the War - and my great grandfather served in the Somme during WW1. I've always found WW2, and especially Operation Overlord, a fascinating subject - & we visited the beaches a few years ago with the kids. I would definitely encourage people to go over there if they can....the museums and cemeteries etc are emotional, but well worth the trip.

I guess its being a local lad still living in the area (& being a history buff!) but the whole story of D Day is brought closer to home for me than for some - as we had thousands of troops stationed in this vicinity in the weeks leading up to the day itself. Stanmer Park, Saltdean, Telscombe Tye & Balsdean (the valley behind Rottingdean) were all used to billet the (mainly Canadian) soldiers before they embarked at Newhaven.

Neptune / Overlord was truly an amazing feat that thankfully brought about the end of the war.

And to round it off today, me and my 16yr old son are off to watch Saving Private Ryan at the cinema tonight....himself signing up for the forces (via MOD Military College) in September to start his career & serving his country.

Wasn't until I watched a documentary on the war of deception in WWII that I realised what my Grandad had done for much of the time. He was part of the troops building fake tanks and planes out of wood in Africa trying to give the impression they were gathering here to distract the Germans. I'm not even sure he really knew that's what they were doing at the time, or the greater reason for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here