Not open for further replies.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yet Zaha did hear it.

No supports.
No stewards.

Just Zaha stood x feet away from any supporters, on the pitch

Quite often he is the only person in the stadium to have detected any contact with an opposition player, to cause him to fall to the ground too.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
He’s talking shite and doing a disservice to those properly being discriminated against due to the colour of their skin.

Exactly the same as a women falsely crying rape. The damage done is unmeasurable

The other side of the coin is that for decades women who cried they were raped were simply not believed and ignored.

Unless you can walk in the shoes of someone being abused it is easy to say that the abuse never happened.

I’d rather believe someone who claims they have received abuse until such time that the claims be disproved rather than dismiss the abuse out of hand.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The other side of the coin is that for decades women who cried they were raped were simply not believed and ignored.

Unless you can walk in the shoes of someone being abused it is easy to say that the abuse never happened.

I’d rather believe someone who claims they have received abuse until such time that the claims be disproved rather than dismiss the abuse out of hand.

At the same time, there are women out there who genuinely pull the "rape card" in the same way there are people of ethnic minorities who pull the "racism card" as it's regularly being labelled now. I've had experience of this with one woman I'd not so much as kissed, let alone had sex with. There are always two sides to every story and being called a racist or a rapist is just as bad as receiving abuse. Thankfully, that's why the law states you're innocent until proven guilty.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

And their are some who have cried rape where a conviction, or sometimes even a charge, never happened. Until proven either way, and sometimes even after, we may have differing opinions of the real truth. But discussion can never be a bad thing.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
At the same time, there are women out there who genuinely pull the "rape card" in the same way there are people of ethnic minorities who pull the "racism card" as it's regularly being labelled now. I've had experience of this with one woman I'd not so much as kissed, let alone had sex with. There are always two sides to every story and being called a racist or a rapist is just as bad as receiving abuse. Thankfully, that's why the law states you're innocent until proven guilty.

Of course you are right that there are false claims of rape, false claims of child and sex abuse and false claims of racial abuse that can cause unjustified stress and pain to those being accused.

The simple truth however is that these cases are vastly outnumbered by genuine claims and, as thankfully seems to be the case with claims of sexual assault, deserve to be investigated and not treated with disbelief in the first instance.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The football match isn't just the 90 minutes. It is the before and after, walking to and from the changing room, coach etc. I think it is pretty deplorable making out Zaha is playing the racist card and saying he is delusional. Have a pop for his diving and sulks. Having a pop over something we know very little of day to day as we are not in his shoes is out of line. Bit surprised so many people have jumped on it to stick the boot in again. We are better than that

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
And their are some who have cried rape where a conviction, or sometimes even a charge, never happened. Until proven either way, and sometimes even after, we may have differing opinions of the real truth. But discussion can never be a bad thing.

Discussion is fine but comments like these?

”Zaha is obviously making this up”

“He’s talking shite”

“I don’t believe him”

“Haha is a stranger to the truth”

. . . . . . . . . .

Plus many more such remarks.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
He gets a lot of shit because he's a good player but also because of his antics.

People are being a bit pedantic around the words "nearly every game I'm called a monkey or n*****".

That could be every other game, or most away games, it doesn't really matter on the exact numbers or even the exact phrase.

What matters is that he hears stuff that he interprets as racist a lot.

The fact that he trails his leg behind him to win fouls or whinges to refs etc and generally winds up opposition fans doesn't mean he would lie about hearing racist abuse.

I would also think that he's probably much more aware and picks up on it more than the fans or stewards because it is directed at him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Remember earlier in the season when Zaha claimed he had been racially abused by our fans online before we played them? Remember how there wasn’t a single screenshot taken by him or anybody else to support that claim? Remember how quickly screenshots appeared all over here and Twitter when Palace fans mocked Knockaerts dad dying?

Funny, that.
Has anyone got a counter argument to this point?
Where's the evidence that he claimed he had been racially abused by our fans online before we played them, and (if he did) where's the evidence he was telling the truth?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The football match isn't just the 90 minutes. It is the before and after, walking to and from the changing room, coach etc. I think it is pretty deplorable making out Zaha is playing the racist card and saying he is delusional.
If what he says is true, where is the evidence, and why aren't people being prosecuted?

When he walks from the coach etc, fans are there filming with their phones. If opposing fans are being racist towards him then, why isn't it being filmed and then shown on youtube, with prosecutions to follow? If it's in the changing rooms, are you saying it's by his teammates, or by staff (which is even more ridiculous)?

These accusations are extreme, and if they're true I want to see people prosecuted and measures taken to stop it. But if it's true, why has no evidence appeared yet, when we're talking about something that's alleged to have happened in public where many people are filming?

The claim seems extremely far fetched.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Discussion is fine but comments like these?

Plus many more such remarks.

All four of those can be surmised in the ‘I don’t believe him’ quote. Why should he be unreservedly believed given his reputation for acting/diving/cheating? Perhaps you think that everything should be taken at face value.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If what he says is true, where is the evidence, and why aren't people being prosecuted?

When he walks from the coach etc, fans are there filming with their phones. If opposing fans are being racist towards him then, why isn't it being filmed and then shown on youtube, with prosecutions to follow? If it's in the changing rooms, are you saying it's by his teammates, or by staff (which is even more ridiculous)?

These accusations are extreme, and if they're true I want to see people prosecuted and measures taken to stop it. But if it's true, why has no evidence appeared yet, when we're talking about something that's alleged to have happened in public where many people are filming?

The claim seems extremely far fetched.

If people were prosecuted for abuse, there would be about 10 000 away fans in jail over the 8 years at the Amex for homophobic abuse. Has there even been 1 ? So the Police have too much to do and stretched resources. To claim Zaha is just making it all up discredits the efforts being made and putsoff other people saying anything for the exact reason of the responses he has had

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What matters is that he hears stuff that he interprets as racist a lot.

What the actual fxxk! Someone’s very personal interpretation is more valid than real life facts?

Your opinion really is that of a millennial snowflake liberal, what ever your age maybe.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If people were prosecuted for abuse, there would be about 10 000 away fans in jail over the 8 years at the Amex for homophobic abuse. Has there even been 1 ? So the Police have too much to do and stretched resources. To claim Zaha is just making it all up discredits the efforts being made and putsoff other people saying anything for the exact reason of the responses he has had

I don't think he's making it up entirely. No doubt at times he has been on the end of some vile racist abuse

However, I think that him saying he's on the end of it "nearly every game" (ie its very rare that he DOESN'T get called monkey/****** by the crowd) is what is questionable. We are talking about a man who has complained publically and bitterly that he is singled out by teams for rough treatment. He does have something of the 'victim' card he likes to play regularly.

I don't think he's lying. I think he's exaggerating though. Not that it makes any racist abuse he receives any less deplorable, but its not helpful to make claims that are (likely) not factual.

What I would like to see him do (and anyone else being abused), is when he hears it, if he actually sees the person in the crowd who said it, or made the monkey noises, then stop playing. Pick the ball up. March over to the stand and POINT at the person. The onus is then on the stewards to come over and remove them. CCTV can be checked later if necessary to lead to some prosecutions.

At the moment, these racist neanderthals are spilling their bile with relative impunity. If they actually start getting called out on it by the players, then we might end up getting somewhere closer to reducing it and ideally, eventually, all but eradicating it.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Has anyone got a counter argument to this point?
Where's the evidence that he claimed he had been racially abused by our fans online before we played them, and (if he did) where's the evidence he was telling the truth?

There was a thread on here about it, I would find it but the search function on this site is absolute pony.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not entirely comfortable in the way this thread is playing out, and I include my own contribution in that.

Racism is abhorrent and has no place in the game nor wider society. I don't doubt that Zaha has been racially abused as, sadly, it does seem to be the type of abuse used by some supporters when they want to get at a standout opposition player.

Whether he has been abused once, is abused every game or somewhere in between it is wrong, and I'm not sure our debating of this does anything to further the issue of racist abuse in football, so I'll close this one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here