Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So your strategy would be to play them regardless, so that they had more time at the expense of say Kayal, Bong, Andone, Locadia, Burn, Bruno, Bissouma etc. who also weren't getting much game time when the cup fixtures were on?
    So who was playing in the cup games then? I thought most of that lot were involved at some of the time. They certainly weren't being kept out by youngsters being played regardless.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by chaileyjem View Post
      Apart from the 2 regulars who developed massively in Hughton's time, are now premier league stars, and joined the club as teenagers.
      I am asserting that you are joking and don't really attribute the rise of Dunk and March to Hughton?

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by symyjym View Post
      I am asserting that you are joking and don't really attribute the rise of Dunk and March to Hughton?
      For the last 4 and a half years - then yes.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
      So who was playing in the cup games then? I thought most of that lot were involved at some of the time. They certainly weren't being kept out by youngsters being played regardless.
      Exactly. They weren't being kept out by youngsters.

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by symyjym View Post
      Definitely had a huge part to play. March wasn't looking a dead cert Championship player until Hughton turned up, let alone Premier League quality. He has improved year on year under Hughton.

Dunk made 14 league appearances over 2 years 2012 -14. He has been transformed from hot headed needless red cards and mistakes per season, to a £40m+ England international defender. I know Hughton has gone and some people are glad, but not attributing any success of the club or players to Hughton is just downright disingenuous.

0 Not allowed!
      For the last 4 and a half years - then yes.
      He oversaw the rise of two players who were tipped for the top before he came here, but you have sidetracked the point anyway. Why give a U23 player 15 seconds at the end of the game on the last match of the season.

If you can explain the purpose and the psychology behind that decision I will happily concede your side point on March and Dunk?
      Last edited by symyjym; 05-06-2019 at 18:27.

0 Not allowed!
      Our Chris failed to give any U23's a real chance, even tho' they were consistently high-flying in PL2... I am sure that fact contributed to his P45... he certainly helped Dunk and March to develop further, but... look at who he didn't really give a chance to... AC, VC, JM, MS, and so on...
      SockMonster Quote: “I agree with BW… I always agree with BW. He is the font of all knowledge.”

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      Definitely had a huge part to play. March wasn't looking a dead cert Championship player until Hughton turned up, let alone Premier League quality. He has improved year on year under Hughton.

Dunk made 14 league appearances over 2 years 2012 -14. He has been transformed from hot headed needless red cards and mistakes per season, to a £40m+ England international defender. I know Hughton has gone and some people are glad, but not attributing any success of the club or players to Hughton is just downright disingenuous.
      You have completely side tracked my original comment. I wasn't even talking about Dunk and March, of course they were going to develop under Hughton. The point I raised was why give a 15 seconds to a player and if you can let me know the psychology and purpose behind it I would be most grateful?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by B.W. View Post
      Our Chris failed to give any U23's a real chance, even tho' they were consistently high-flying in PL2... I am sure that fact contributed to his P45... he certainly helped Dunk and March to develop further, but... look at who he didn't really give a chance to... AC, VC, JM, MS, and so on...
      It's a little bit rich that though given I don't remember us bringing a huge number of youngsters through in League One or the Championship as a football club either. We get to the top flight for 2 seasons and suddenly CH is the first manager not to dip into the youth set up?

5 Not allowed!
      Apart from the 2 regulars who developed massively in Hughton's time, are now premier league stars, and joined the club as teenagers.

When @chaileyjem has to resort to using Dunk and March as evidence of Hughton's commitment to youth development, it underlines just how few opportunities CH gave the kids.

Dunk had made 75 - that's 75 - league appearances before Hughton was appointed. March had made 30 league appearances (and it would have been more, but he missed the first 18 matches of the 2014-15 season with a stress fracture of the back).

Come on @chaileyjem, you're better than this.
      Brighton and Hove Albion Squad Contract Durations - Updated per February 2019 Premier League Squad List

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      Which is why you are my favourite poster on NSC. Accurate and up to date Albion facts, unadorned, and succinctly put. Use that as your next strapline
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      I love AZ's posts. So many ITK dicks on here, but he just posts FACT.