Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Simon Rusk interview - The Guardian

4 Not allowed!
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...ach-simon-rusk

Interesting piece, spelling out just how hard the path is to bridge the gap from the U23's to actually playing in the PL.

Hughton was reluctant to promote too many youngsters. “I can’t blame him for not giving younger players an opportunity,” says Rusk. “To play a young player you’ve got to put three, four or five noses out of joint in the dressing room. So, unless it’s an absolute screaming talent, it’s a hard thing to do."

"For some of our players, the perceived gap between 23s and getting in the first team has got a lot bigger and, with that, there is a naturally enhanced level of disillusion in one or two of them"
    "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      So what is it, they’re not good enough (more alleged bad recruitment then) or the manager had favourites he didn’t want to upset?

Something else we’ll find out next season then.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff
      Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

10 Not allowed!
      Reckon the whole U23 concept is fatally flawed, in terms of being a boilerhouse for the PL first team. Face it, its a bit of a footballing ghetto. If you're still languishing there at age 22 then you're not going to set the footballing world on fire. Which leaves the club little option other than to farm the player out for maybe a modest profit that probably does little more than cover the club's initial investment in the player. Harsh maybe, but what's the alternative?
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So what is it, they’re not good enough (more alleged bad recruitment then) or the manager had favourites he didn’t want to upset?

Something else we’ll find out next season then.
      Good enough for me.
      It would be a lot easier to be critical of any manager for not ‘blooding’ them if we were in the championship.

Every potential point in the PL surely you’d go for ‘tried and tested’.

Of course as I’ve mentioned many times, I’d make it a rule that with 7 subs, at least 2 should be U23s. Then when we’re 3-0 up against an inferior team, say Palace, you could give them an initial 20 mins.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed!
      "In scouting players, Manchester United don’t have the organisation to deliver the best players in my opinion. Then with the education of players, you cannot say that the education of Manchester United is very good. How many players are coming through?"

"With Manchester United, you have a fantastic performance department and that is under the guidance of the doctor. But this performance department needs also the guidance of an experienced technical director. You have to use that department not only for the first team but also intensively for the youth education. Then young players are more educated in the philosophy of Man United and the big step to the first team is much easier. These are the important aspects that you have to develop as a technical director."
      - L. van Gaal

Step forward Dan Ashworth...
      In those terms, perhaps the writing was on the wall for Hughton as soon as Ashworth was coming on board.
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      "In scouting players, Manchester United don’t have the organisation to deliver the best players in my opinion. Then with the education of players, you cannot say that the education of Manchester United is very good. How many players are coming through?"

"With Manchester United, you have a fantastic performance department and that is under the guidance of the doctor. But this performance department needs also the guidance of an experienced technical director. You have to use that department not only for the first team but also intensively for the youth education. Then young players are more educated in the philosophy of Man United and the big step to the first team is much easier. These are the important aspects that you have to develop as a technical director."
      - L. van Gaal

In those terms, perhaps the writing was on the wall for Hughton as soon as Ashworth was coming on board.
      I believe our U23s were a league higher than Man Utd last year......

Just saying.....

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by One Teddy Maybank View Post

Just saying.....

...and will be for the forthcoming season, as Man U U23s languished in mid-table in PL2 Div 2.
      Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post

- L. van Gaal

The first tranche of back office resignations can only be a matter of weeks away now as Dan! Dan! starts treading on toes with size 10 DMs. There's absolutely no way he can advocate a radical new way forward without explicitly or implicitly criticising what came before
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by One Teddy Maybank View Post

Just saying.....
      Doesn't contradict anything van Gaal has said then does it. Despite the infinite resources Man Utd have at their disposal, their youth policy was and is clearly failing. It probably stagnated even further under Mourinho, who wouldn't recognise a youth player if he was wearing a nametag and had a seagull on his head.

Bloom seems keen to engender a culture where there is a clear path from U23's to the first team squad, and perhaps just didn't see that happening under Hughton. I wouldn't entirely blame Hughton for that btw, because he's under huge pressure to get results and if the kids aren't there then, well, they're not there. But the Potter / Ashton appointments look like being a clear statement of intent to change that.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by schmunk View Post
      ...and will be for the forthcoming season, as Man U U23s languished in mid-table in PL2 Div 2.
      Didn’t our U18s knock them out of the cup as well @AZ Gull