Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Uefa Nations League

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
How big a deal will it be to win this ?

Lots of "its coming home " things getting getting about on social media.

Really looking forward to it and be great to win something but

Does it really matter ?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It would mean we qualify for the Euros so I guess yes it does matter.

However in terms of actual silverwear I cant see it being more than winning a trophey pre-season or charity shield.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
So, how does the ticket allocation work ?

for example 15k fans per team semi finals are Ok you know where & when the game is played

does that ticket then get you to the final or 3/4 play off 3 days later ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It would mean we qualify for the Euros so I guess yes it does matter.

However in terms of actual silverwear I cant see it being more than winning a trophey pre-season or charity shield.

Winning the Nations League doesn't automatically give us a place at the Euros. By winning our group we have given ourselves a second chance of qualifying for the Euros through a playoff system should we fail to qualify through the normal Euro 2020 qualifiers (this applies to all group winners across all 4 of the Nations League levels).

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

for example 15k fans per team semi finals are Ok you know where & when the game is played

You can apply for conditional tickets. If you are successful, and they go through, the tickets are then confirmed.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Bit like winning the League Cup in club terms.

This really. It would be the most major trophy England have won since 1966.

Which, obviously, isn't hard....

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019

If you are a member of the Englandfans travel club then you could have bought tickets for the semi final - as you said, easy as you know where it is. For the other game they have what is called 'SuperSunday' tickets - so you register and after the results of the semi finals are known then you have an electronic ticket sent over on a phone app whether it is for the final or 3/4th play off. I am going to Porto on Saturday so hoping England can win on Thursday night - would obviously rather go to a final than 3/4th place playoff (don't know if anyone would give a sh*t about the difference between 3rd and 4th !).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Saw a good interview with John Stones over the weekend, and he made the point that whilst winning the Nations League is not like winning a WC or Euros, just winning a tournament like this can act as a real catalyst to START winning things. We've seen it at the likes of Chelsea and Man City, where a manager comes in, and the first trophy they go and win is the League Cup. Not overly grand in the great scheme of things, but silverware is a stepping stone that can spur players on to bigger and better things. It engenders a winning mentality that can be taken forward.

I really hope we manage to give a good account of ourselves this week, and would love to see England win it. There have been some brilliant performances along the way this season to reach this stage, and maybe it could just be the start of something...

*dreamer*

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I actually think this tournament will increase in prestige over the years, so well worth winning in my opinion.

I like it, if nothing other than it stops the endless meaningless friendlies we get.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
would be more interested if it was on TV also it feels slightly irrelevant I guess.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Winning the Nations League doesn't automatically give us a place at the Euros. By winning our group we have given ourselves a second chance of qualifying for the Euros through a playoff system should we fail to qualify through the normal Euro 2020 qualifiers (this applies to all group winners across all 4 of the Nations League levels).

Really? I was under the impression the winners of each final would recieve a place at next years Euros.

Who would be in these Playoffs?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I actually think this tournament will increase in prestige over the years, so well worth winning in my opinion.

I like it, if nothing other than it stops the endless meaningless friendlies we get.

I recall Martin Tyler saying on commentary when we beat Croatia at Wembley in the autumn that it would increase in importance and both the Euros and the World Cup grew and weren't as big as they are now when they started.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think we will lose against the Dutch given how off the pace most of the English players were in the CL finals and how badly England perform historically at this time of year.

That said, I'd love us to win it. The main criticism of the WC was that we failed to beat anyone. If we were to win it, we'd have got past Spain, Croatia, Holland and in all likelihood Portugal. That's not bad by anyone's standards. Given the next big tournament is Euro 20 hosted at Wembley, we'd be well placed for it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Really? I was under the impression the winners of each final would recieve a place at next years Euros.

Who would be in these Playoffs?

There is only 1 finals tournament for the 4 groups winners from League A (England, Netherlands, Portugal and Switzerland). The winners will get a nice trophy but won't qualify for the Euro 2020's automatically.

There is no finals for the winners of Leagues B, C and D.

The winners of each of the 4 groups at every level will take part in the play offs should they fail to qualify through the normal Euro 2020 qualification groups.

Currently those teams are

League A - England, Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland.
League B - Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden.
League C = Scotland, Serbia, Norway, Finland
League D - Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus

Should a team listed above qualify then the playoff place goes to the next ranked team outside the 4 group winners that hasn't qualified via the normal process.

There is one playoff place up for grabs for each League over a single legged semi final and final. So, for example, one of Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo and Belarus will be at the Euro 2020 finals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Is this bigger than the 1997 Tournoi de France ?

That was an invitation tournament (four teams)... and yet England list it under 'honours' in the matchday programme.

Agree. Winning would clearly be England's biggest achievement since 1966.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I think it will grow and I definitely think the players are keen on it, just look at their performances in the qualifiers.

Also, David seaman on talk Shite this morning, said of they beat Holland, look at the players reaction to see if they are up for it.
In theory this could be shown in their disappointment if we were to lose.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Think it’s worth going for it, the under 17s and 20s have won their world cups and the women’s team has had more modest successes in recent years, but the men’s senior squad has a noticeably bare trophy cabinet. Obviously not a Euro or World Cup in terms of prestige, but it’s a winnable trophy which can build the squad’s good momentum.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Is this bigger than the 1997 Tournoi de France ?

Has to be as it is a full European event. Hopefully it will be subject to sensible development.

My preference was a European league, of four divisions (division four sub-divided in two), played over two years to replace friendlies. Eleven in each of the leagues- 10 matches, five home and away.

Promotion and relegation. Three up/down between divisions one to three. Four down from division three taking two from from each of the sub division four.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here