Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Uefa Nations League

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quite a day of football ahead on Sunday then:

14:00 - Nations League 3rd place playoff (ok, utterly pointless, but...)
17:00 - England v Scotland, Female World Cup
19:45 - Nations League Final

Looks like I'd best get some tinnies in.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
This is an official UEFA tournament in which they present silver wear to the winner. If we win it is undoubtedly the biggest win since 1966.

Anyone questioning the validity of that statement should consider the approach teams have taken to the tournament (for example the Spain attitude to the away game). All games have had far more intensity than friendly games.

Also, as another poster mentioned, we were criticised after the world cup for not beating anyone meaningful, to reach this stage we have topped a group of Spain and world cup finalists Croatia beating both in the process. If we then get past the Netherlands and Portugal/Switzerland then that is a genuinely impressive achievement than would be worthy of celebration.

I think it would be a great feather in the cup to be the first country to win this tournament.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Not desperately interested in this. It's cricket season and I'm enjoying the One Dayers. Other than the World cup and Euro's I do actually like to have the odd summer off from football.

Next you'll be telling the fixtures are out soon!

sir_gullahad

Dec 20, 2013
Cheltenhamshire
Its a new tournament so obviously attracts cynicism cos that's they way things go.

It has got off to a better start than many expected so may gain prestige. At this stage probably best seen as a barometer for larger things and matches that have been entertaining in their own right (more so than friendlies).

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Quite a day of football ahead on Sunday then:

14:00 - Nations League 3rd place playoff (ok, utterly pointless, but...)
17:00 - England v Scotland, Female World Cup
19:45 - Nations League Final

Looks like I'd best get some tinnies in.

As well as :

Straya v India at the cricket

Canadian grand prix - normally one of the better ones.

#cans

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've really enjoyed it. Yes it helps we've done well but THANK GOD for the Nations league. It has replaced the AWFUL friendlies and the teams have genuinely cared. The performance away in Spain was just brilliant and I'm really hoping we can bring home the first Nations League title. Yes, it's not the world cup but I've really liked it....AND GERMANY GOT RELEGATED.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
There is only 1 finals tournament for the 4 groups winners from League A (England, Netherlands, Portugal and Switzerland). The winners will get a nice trophy but won't qualify for the Euro 2020's automatically.

There is no finals for the winners of Leagues B, C and D.

The winners of each of the 4 groups at every level will take part in the play offs should they fail to qualify through the normal Euro 2020 qualification groups.

Currently those teams are

League A - England, Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland.
League B - Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden.
League C = Scotland, Serbia, Norway, Finland
League D - Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus

Should a team listed above qualify then the playoff place goes to the next ranked team outside the 4 group winners that hasn't qualified via the normal process.

There is one playoff place up for grabs for each League over a single legged semi final and final. So, for example, one of Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo and Belarus will be at the Euro 2020 finals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs

Cheers, saved me looking like a right Bell.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Any tournament or Cup where you’re beating the best in the world can only be a good thing. Treat it as if it’s the semi and finals of a World Cup or Euros. All fantastic experience.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The previous matches seemed to mean something, to the manager, the players and the fans. My guess …. when the football starts, you’ll feel like this is more than just a friendly and if we win our two games, we’ll be shaking the champers like we mean it

oh and yes, a magnificent weekend of sport

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Was a soft pen, but there WAS the slightest of touches which caused the guy to then trip himself up

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Great decision, nothing wrong with that. Shame the ref couldn’t check his decision in the first half to award the free kick that lead to the goal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Very soft penalty award. Almost as if the ref wanted to keep the game alive, as had he given Portugal a chance to make it 2-0 it would have been all but over.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ref had it wrong, not VAR. He tripped over himself!

I think the Swiss got clipped, the his leg touched his other leg. Pen for me.

A precedent has now been set, it will be interesting to see if other refs follow suit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here