Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Uefa Nations League

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did indeed, and smiled to myself imagining Hughton on the sidelines watching such absolutely appalling defending. I did think on quite a few occasions “**** me, we defend better than that” :smile:

I fear we are going to have plenty of opportunities to praise the way we defended under Hughton next season as we get caught in possession going forward and are caught short at the back. Price to pay and I hope we have got this right (I am fully behind it too as I was dying of boredom in most games last season) or we are going down.

For all our laymen’s knowledge, I think there’s a balance where:
1. The defence stay in position and DEFEND.
2. If one fullback goes forward, the other stays in position.
3. The CM sitter stays there all match, protecting the CB’s.
4. If a fullback goes forward, another midfielder covers that space.

That still leaves 5 players involved in attacks.

Goes for England or Brighton.

Just IMHO.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I agree with the points made thus far : our defenders (and GK) are all prone to mistakes - they seem to believe that calmness on the ball means slowing down and Stones in particular seems to struggle to dominate in the air defensively, mostly because his Opposite number is able to run off him too easily. Stones still not trusted by his Club manager and I have never quite got the fuss over Harry Maguire. Walker likewise - there are too many mistakes in him, but I appreciate Trent Alexander-Arnold is probably the future, and he can struggle defensively too! The starting midfield three was an average PL midfield at best. All will work hard, but not seen as good enough by their Club managers to be trusted to start whenever they are available and Rice plays for a mid-table, horribly inconsistent side - needs better players around him. But that's just where we are - we have players who can score, and take us away from teams but along-way to go to believe we are consistently at the very top level. Thats OK - we haven't been a top side for a long time have we? I enjoy watching England play, but it is interesting to consider that England players such as Delph, Barkley might not be that much better than what we have at Brighton right now?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So apart from the Semi final of the world cup, which other games are you throwing in there as 'big'?

Seeing as no other games in the world cup appeared to count as big.

Remind me how Kane did in the 3rd/4th play off game against Belgium the only other big team we played.

We are clearly not going to agree on this.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Remind me how Kane did in the 3rd/4th play off game against Belgium the only other big team we played.

We are clearly not going to agree on this.

You're counting the 3rd/4th place games as a 'big game' but not the games to get out the group in a world cup or the game against Columbia?

:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ok. For England he has won the golden boot at a world cup

He has scored against the following 'better' nations:
Switzerland, Germany, Turkey, France, Columbia, Croatia

He hasn't played against Brazil and Argentina as far as I can see.

He didn't score against Spain but was brilliant in that win.

He has 22 goals in 38 caps.

I really don't know what he would have to do to impress you in his 4 year England career thus far.

Pass the ball to a better placed colleague instead of going to goal with a crappy angle against Croatia?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You're counting the 3rd/4th place games as a 'big game' but not the games to get out the group in a world cup or the game against Columbia?

:lolol:

Laugh all you like but Kane does not do it for England against big teams in big games. Scoring a penalty against Colombia doesn’t count, for me anyway, as putting in a world class performance either.

You obviously think he’s world class I don’t. Flat track bully for me still.

It may have passed you by but Belgium are also a top side and Kane was useless against them but WOW those goals against the minnows make him world class.

As you like

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Laugh all you like but Kane does not do it for England against big teams in big games. Scoring a penalty against Colombia doesn’t count, for me anyway, as putting in a world class performance either.

You obviously think he’s world class I don’t. Flat track bully for me still.

It may have passed you by but Belgium are also a top side and Kane was useless against them but WOW those goals against the minnows make him world class.

As you like
Just this season

He absolutely battered Spain this season away, didn’t score but created all three goals.

Goal and assist Vs Croatia in the final must win game in the group to get to the finals.

International Level is way below CL level in which he’s scored and created goals against Barca among others.

Whilst not being fully fit

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He absolutely battered Spain this season away, didn’t score but created all three goals.

Goal and assist Vs Croatia in the final must win game in the group to get to the finals.

International Level is way below CL level in which he’s scored and created goals against Barca among others.

Whilst not being fully fit

I know I’d feel VERY differently if he was an Albion player. As a Spurs fan I get why you rate him so highly :thumbsup:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Laugh all you like but Kane does not do it for England against big teams in big games.

What would you count as the games where he has played a 'big team' in a 'big game'? Genuinely. Because, to make a statement that he 'does not do it' in such situations would surely mean it's something which has occurred enough times to see it as a trend.

Let's not be silly and include the 3rd place playoff game in that (you have two sets of disappointed players trying to win a game no one cares about).

I can think of 1. Croatia in the semi final.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What would you count as the games where he has played a 'big team' in a 'big game'? Genuinely. Because, to make a statement that he 'does not do it' in such situations would surely mean it's something which has occurred enough times to see it as a trend.

Let's not be silly and include the 3rd place playoff game in that (you have two sets of disappointed players trying to win a game no one cares about).

I can think of 1. Croatia in the semi final.

I know he isn’t fit but yesterday he looked awful. Top players show glimpses even when not fit, and for me he showed nothing against an up and coming team in a moderately big game.

As you say we don’t play that many big games against big sides but I just don’t rate him as highly as the hype and you (and others) do.

Can we just agree to differ?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Because he’s one of the best strikers in the world?

Don't be silly, we all know that
Penalties don't count
Friendlies don't count
Playing well but not scoring doesn't count
Golden boots because the goals weren't all against big teams in big games don't count
Goals in the Nations League, even against big teams don't count

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Don't be silly, we all know that
Penalties don't count
Friendlies don't count
Playing well but not scoring doesn't count
Golden boots because the goals weren't all against big teams in big games don't count
Goals in the Nations League, even against big teams don't count

Club goals don’t count.

It’s a mindset with England fans, skate out best players.

Saw the same with Rooney

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Because he’s one of the best strikers in the world?

Best strikers in the world tend to win things, by being the best, carrying their team on occasions and scoring when it REALLY counts, what has Kane won apart from the Golden Boot?

The best teams also break the bank to get the best strikers, not seeing that happening either.

Anyway I’m out on this discussion I’ll let you and Mejona carry on with your sarcasm

Aug 19, 2017
RE: Kane

The manager needs to shoulder the blame for this. Kane was anonymous in the CL final and so was clearly unfit!

He's a class act but should never have been on the pitch yesterday.

Lucas Moura must have been fuming to benched for the CL.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Best strikers in the world tend to win things, by being the best, carrying their team on occasions and scoring when it REALLY counts, what has Kane won apart from the Golden Boot?

Anyway I’m out on this discussion I’ll let you and Mejona carry on with your sarcasm

Shearer won 1 thing, with Blackburn.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Love the look on Maguires face in this picture :lolol:

maguire.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here