Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dakota D-Day Flypast

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As for those having a moan up about not seeing them properly, you've missed the point.

Reminds me of being in Greece in a hotel regarding during the London Olympics opening ceremony. The locals were astounded by the "reality" of it, warts and all.

My fellow English holiday makers were having a right old moan up about the Red Arrows not being there.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
The Lancaster flies over my house 2-3 times a week this time of year. Never fails to impress me. Bucketing down here today, hopefully better weather tomorrow as we get the Lancaster, Dakota, and the B-25 flying over.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Didn't come down to Sussex to see it, was completely unaware of it until midday. I work "from home" there about twice a month. Glad I did. They flew right over the village.

Today was very poignant because I witnessed a little something in the same spot as my late Dad. The family have lived the same place for years and experienced the war there. My Dad would have been 9, evacuated somewhere "safer" for a bit, but was back in the village before D Day,

Came straight towards us across the valley in a seemingly never ending train, then banked towards Eastbourne, Simply amazing. Me worrying about "health and safety" but then thinking back about my Dad (and the villagers) worrying about whether the soldiers would come back.

Just a few minutes of my life, but the first time for me that sympathy regarding the Second World War transcended into empathy

My mum then cuts through my misty eyed moment, by telling me that my Dad "loved" the war with all the bits falling from the sky to collect and gave himself a hernia jumping too "enthusiastically" into an air raid shelter.

:lolol:

Great day.

It is a strange thing the impact has an on an innocent mind. As a kid, if I could have gone back thirty years, I wanted to stand in a Kent field on a clear summer night, watch the silhouettes, and hear the distant engines of a thousand bombers heading toward London. To me it was a thing of crude beauty- a bit like 'Jim' in Empire of the Sun. The war films were awesome.

Of course, I now see it for what it was. A terrible stain on humanity and an awful loss of life in its prime.

Reminds me of Squeeze, one of my favourite bands, and the lyrics of 'Labelled with love'

'During the wartime and American pilot..Made every air-raid a time of excitement..'

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
View attachment 110870
Spent all afternoon sitting by Eastbourne pier, I was disappointed, I thought they would be nearer. Oh well.

Ha! I bought an ice cream at that very stall (the one on the end, next to the "Beach & Gift Shop") when I was over visiting family over Easter. By the looks of your photo, I enjoyed the better weather! It was gorgeous all that weekend.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It is a strange thing the impact has an on an innocent mind. As a kid, if I could have gone back thirty years, I wanted to stand in a Kent field on a clear summer night and watch the silhouettes and hear the distant engines of a thousand bombers heading toward London. To me it was a thing of crude beauty- a bit like 'Jim' in Empire of the Sun. The war films were awesome.

Of course, I now see it for what it was. A terrible stain on humanity and an awful loss of life in its prime.

To add, my Mum also said imagine what it's like to live in Syria now. I love my Mum.

So yes absolutely, I've also had the privilege (and I really mean that) to talk to people who fought and they really don't like to talk about it.

On the way back to London, I got a taxi to the nearest station. Driver was telling me his dad hated the war in England because he was as a fireman.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
To add, my Mum also said imagine what it's like to live in Syria now. I love my Mum.

So yes absolutely, I've also had the privilege (and I really mean that) to talk to people who fought and they really don't like to talk about it.

On the way back to London, I got a taxi to the nearest station. Driver was telling me his dad hated the war in England because he was as a fireman.

Quite. I think that gives an accurate summary. If you were living in London your experience would have been somewhat contrary. As a kid my romantic ideal of the conflict was bedded in a safe place and peaceful times. I could just imagine the awesome site of those killing machines without worrying about their impact.

It's one of the reasons I rally against the jingoistic glorification of the conflict. The least triumphant of all were the service personnel themselves. They had seen too much and lost too many to feel any sense of glory. My uncle was among the first to liberate Belsen. He spoke nothing of the war despite being involved from early on.

Early on I saw pictures from France of today's commemorations. Some folk, doubtless serving or ex-personnel, were in uniform. Quite rightly so. Their forbears were being remembered. Then I saw a picture of a chap, dressed like Ken Baily at a home international, and I recoiled at it. I know the PPF's of this world might approve, but from those I have spoken to it was never 'two world wars and one world cup' but 'two world wars and a lot of my friends lost'.

It's a bit unconnected with what we're talking about but I guess I'm typing this because what I saw today bothered me. I hope folk watch this video of a veteran who saw the film Dunkirk, and his reponse to it. It will move folk to tears and remembering the sacrifice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwaJcZnR7us

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Update to our day.
My Mum and I managed to get to Beachy Head and stood on the grass opposite the Beachy Head pub, right underneath the planes as they came over. I expected a few people to join us but nothing like the 1000's up there. Wonderful scenes, especially the plane that flashed its lights and dipped its wings. With flags waving and people waving their arms I hope there is an aerial view looking back down on us. Worth the wait.
As for leaving! Over two hours to cover four miles to the A27 Polgate roundabout.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Update to our day.
My Mum and I managed to get to Beachy Head and stood on the grass opposite the Beachy Head pub, right underneath the planes as they came over. I expected a few people to join us but nothing like the 1000's up there. Wonderful scenes, especially the plane that flashed its lights and dipped its wings. With flags waving and people waving their arms I hope there is an aerial view looking back down on us. Worth the wait.
As for leaving! Over two hours to cover four miles to the A27 Polgate roundabout.

We were right opposite the pub too - luckily we had reserved a table as the place was rammed when we arrived! I was also expecting just a few people up there, not the amount that did actually turn up! As it was all delayed we spent a good couple of hours in the warm, before heading out to watch the aircraft....Really was something special to see.

IMG_20190605_225208_403.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here