Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay *** SIGNED from Brentford - 4 year deal - undisclosed fee ***

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Certainly in the first half, he was asked to do a lot with passes from a distance.

Irrespective of how high a line Chelsea played, their centre backs were never going to get caught out having been given a few extra seconds notice.

Quite and because we are becoming very predictable in terms of always ‘working out from the back’, we are easy to play against.

We still lack pace in the team IMO (I know we disagree), and when Gross is out wide that is reflected even more. I actually thought we looked better when he replaced Mooy.

But as per my post, we rarely got numbers around Maupay, which in essence is the same as last season....

Certainly feel Maupay is worth an extended run, which seems likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Maupay was a prolific championship striker who is making the massive step up.
He is doing about as well as can be expected.
He’s not the problem.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As we seem to suggest exactly the same issues with all our strikers 'isolation' perhaps we need to start looking at the position of centre forward differently.

As soon as we failed to sign a mobile Murray type replacement, this was always going to happen.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Maupay will not thrive if he is asked to be involved in the attacking build up, he’s a poacher, he’ll with pop up in the 6 yard box or can make a run in behind.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Maupay was a prolific championship striker who is making the massive step up.
He is doing about as well as can be expected.
He’s not the problem.
The personnel and the style/standard of football expected of them is the problem.

Agree with that.
He is not an all round forward player. For that, you need to spend £45-50m ( e.g Haller at West Ham ) Maupay is just a poacher. A one track finisher, with one thought in his mind. He doesn't think of assists ( e.g at Newcastle, where a simple ball to Alzate would probably have brought a goal and he tried to do it himself ) He needs service. Quick accurate balls into the box from wide or slide rule passes from midfield. At the moment, we lack that class and accuracy. He needs to be reacting to rebounds but we don't shoot accurately enough to create these situations. Until we get Trossard, March and Izquierdo back in the side, creating more action around the edge of the box, Maupay will find his life very frustrating.
Our midfield is too slow, predictable and lacks inventiveness. No striker would flourish in this Brighton team.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I was ready to suggest dropping Maupay.
(good thing I'm not the manager eh?!)

He had looked so lost for so long.
He'd scored 3 in 21 games. And only 3 assists the whole 19/20 season.

I was watching some attacking duos like Everton's Richarlison & Calvert-Lewin, Tottenham's Kane & Son, and thinking about how these great strikers were able to assist each other.

Maupay woke up today. Incredible performance. He really needed it. The goals were great but I was more impressed by his positioning, passing and the assist for Connolly. He was playing for the team.

I think maybe the EFL match inspired the first team and/or Potter's man management.

Whatever it was it was glorious stuff! I really hope he can continue to replicate the type of display we saw today.

(I've probably said this all before in another thread but I'm still buzzing - can't help it)

Final note: I still think we need at least one more PL standard striker - an injury or two and we are in real trouble.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Maupay plays better when he's not the lone striker, one up top. He's not in the Muzza mould of being able to hold onto the ball or draw fouls, allowing others to catch up.

As part of a front 2 or 3, he thrives imo.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was ready to suggest dropping Maupay.
(good thing I'm not the manager eh?!)

He had looked so lost for so long.
He'd scored 3 in 21 games. And only 3 assists the whole 19/20 season.

I was watching some attacking duos like Everton's Richarlison & Calvert-Lewin, Tottenham's Kane & Son, and thinking about how these great strikers were able to assist each other.

Maupay woke up today. Incredible performance. He really needed it. The goals were great but I was more impressed by his positioning, passing and the assist for Connolly. He was playing for the team.

I think maybe the EFL match inspired the first team and/or Potter's man management.

Whatever it was it was glorious stuff! I really hope he can continue to replicate the type of display we saw today.

(I've probably said this all before in another thread but I'm still buzzing - can't help it)

Final note: I still think we need at least one more PL standard striker - an injury or two and we are in real trouble.
Love to know who for ???

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Maupay plays better when he's not the lone striker, one up top. He's not in the Muzza mould of being able to hold onto the ball or draw fouls, allowing others to catch up.

Exactly this. Yesterday demonstrated that 100%

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Definitely.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

I think that applies to Connolly too.... so begs the question, are we still looking to recruit a classic centre forward to supplement the Franco-Irish duo when a change of formation is deemed necessary?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think that applies to Connolly too.... so begs the question, are we still looking to recruit a classic centre forward to supplement the Franco-Irish duo when a change of formation is deemed necessary?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I would say a similar type player hence why Murray played about twice last season.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Every seasons the same ,starts well then you can see his confidence gradually ebb away

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed - can’t understand dropping a striker in decent form and then wondering why he looks off the pace when we throw him back in

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
All strikers miss chances.

But is there anyone now who seriously believes Neal is going to turn into the striker we want him to be? Someone who can at least match their xg.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here