Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay *** SIGNED from Brentford - 4 year deal - undisclosed fee ***

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'm not meaning to rain on this at all but looking at the YouTube montage of all his goals, aren't they all a bit... sh!t?

Almost all of them are bundled in off his knee, shin, bum, toe poke or a penalty. I don't expect all of them to be worldies but if we're expecting all of our goals to come from poor goalkeeping resulting in the ball falling conveniently at the striker's feet, we're in trouble. There aren't many Wayne Hendersons in the Premier League these days.

Can he score with his cock?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Goal poachers are worth their weight in gold.

Go and take a look at the show reels of Lineker, Solskjaer, Inzaghi, Klose and Michael Owen. It's about being in the right place at the right time that gets a player 20 goals a season.

Having team mates in the opposition half might help, as well.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don't know why the jury is out - what are they waiting for? His goals for us show what he's good at, you give him a chance in the box and bang, goal. As we all know, the team wasn't set up to get the best out of individuals last season and we rarely created chances for him. And when he did play, he was marooned out in a deep wide left position which is a comedic waste of his talent - finishing.

Would Ruud van Nistelrooy have been asked to play deep wide left? Never.

It amuses me how little respect he got for the turn and volley against Millwall, simply outstanding strength and execution.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
From the Argus today. Interestingly the Maupay bit at the end is the least interesting part of the article. That Maguire bloke seems to know his onions :wink::bowdown:

"Albion are better placed than ever to fend off unwanted big money offers for their players.

Details will emerge today of the massive financial contribution the club’s promotion to Premier League football has made to the city’s economy.

At the same time, football finance expert Kieran Maguire has underlined the huge cash backing - more than £300 million - offered over a decade by chairman Tony Bloom.

Albion have dismissed speculation linking their skipper Lewis Dunk with Leicester while interest from Fulham in Anthony Knockaert is not yet believed to have led to a bid.

Fans will be aware anything an happen in the last three weeks of the transfer window but Albion have a record of resisting bids for players they do not want to lose, including both Knockaert and Dunk.

Maguire told The Argus: “The Albion don’t need to sell from either a cash position, thanks to Tony Bloom, or a Financial Fair Play position.

“They can lose £105 million over three years but made a decent profit in 2017-18.

“The only reason for Lewis Dunk, for example, leaving is if the club think an offer from Leicester is too good to refuse or the player has a contract clause which allows him to go.

“Leicester pay bigger wages than the Albion.”

Financial results for last season are not yet available but Albion are highly likely to have further enhanced their position during their second Premier League campaign.

Maguire said relaxation of a wage cap under FFP rules would help Albion fend off any unwanted offers for star men, offering potential for new contract awards and modest pay rises should clubs outside the Prem’s biggest hitters come calling.

Albion are still expected to sign a striker and a right-back this summer and are interested in Brentford frontrunner Neal Maupay."

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But don't you think the game has changed a little bit? All those examples are 15 to 30 years ago. Strikers these days are expected to have more strings to their bow. There's no striker in the Premier League now who you would say does nothing except poach from 6 yards.

Goal poachers are worth their weight in gold.

Go and take a look at the show reels of Lineker, Solskjaer, Inzaghi, Klose and Michael Owen. It's about being in the right place at the right time that gets a player 20 goals a season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He's found his level then

Nah, I'm joking that was a tidy finish. I don't think anyone is claiming that Locadia has shown nothing. The question is more around whether he will he finish consistently enough to lead the line in a premier league team who hope to stay up

It amuses me how little respect he got for the turn and volley against Millwall, simply outstanding strength and execution.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
But don't you think the game has changed a little bit? All those examples are 15 to 30 years ago. Strikers these days are expected to have more strings to their bow. There's no striker in the Premier League now who you would say does nothing except poach from 6 yards.

You may be right, for a poacher to be effective the team needs to exert consistent pressure on the opposition goal, this is difficult to do if they are carrying one player who only 'goal hangs'.

Cruyff once said Inzaghi can’t actually play football but He just always seems to be in the right place in the right time.

This wouldnt work in modern football and is a reason Pep dropped Aguero for a period, until he started to do more for the team.

The same would be true of any modern day goal poacher, but the skill of being a fox in the box should still be cherished, and not sneered at.

The post to which I responded originally was being a bit sneery, seeming to forget that tap ins count the same as worldies.

LVGull

May 13, 2016

If you can bang in 20 goals a season you can bang in 20 goals a season. It doesn't matter how.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

As lazily stated (from me), he's a lower prem Aguero type.

Aguero only has a 10% outside the box ratio (excl pens). That means if we hope Maupay scores 15, he only needs to score 1-2 goals from outside.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As lazily stated (from me), he's a lower prem Aguero type.

Aguero only has a 10% outside the box ratio (excl pens). That means if we hope Maupay scores 15, he only needs to score 1-2 goals from outside.

But it’s fine if a striker doesn’t score goals from outside the penalty area (I don’t remember Murray ever scoring one) as long as they are contributing to the team generally. Maybe Maupay does, don’t know never seen him play. If a team plays one up front the striker needs to have a good all round game.

Oh and 15 would be an incredible return of goals. First he has to displace, Murray, Andone and Locadia, (and possibly hold off Connolly) for probably a single striking slot. It’s far from clear that Maupay would jump to the front of the queue, whereas if we signed, as an example, Rondon, they almost certainly would. To me, Maupay would represent a speculative, might come to something at some point, signing. How many of those do we need? My instinct, and like I say I’ve never seen him play, is that we should be aiming a little bit higher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here