Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Oculus Go / Quest 2

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I've never tried VR before, thinking of picking up one of these as my first venture into VR.

I know it has been designed with some trade offs to balance cost vs tech and to allow it to be a standalone device.

Anyone tried it? Is it any good? Worth getting?

Thanks.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I got one for myself at Christmas. I previously used the Samsung Gear VR. It is a HUGE improvement to not have to put your phone in the headset. For that alone, it's a good buy. Obviously there are better out there for more money but it is a decent compromise.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've got one - it's good for what it is, but bear in mind it is limited by being standalone rather than tethered to a computer.

The games selection isn't bad, but rather basic compared to what's available for the Rift and Rift S. The Go is really best suited for videos and such in VR rather than as a real gaming platform.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I've got one - it's good for what it is, but bear in mind it is limited by being standalone rather than tethered to a computer.

The games selection isn't bad, but rather basic compared to what's available for the Rift and Rift S. The Go is really best suited for videos and such in VR rather than as a real gaming platform.

Yeah that's what I gathered. I don't have a beast PC and I can't justify £1.5k+ spend to buy get one + a Rift. I think the fact that it's standalone is pretty neat, it's one of the reasons I'm quite tempted.

Is it actually comfortable to watch a movie or youtube on a screen so close to your face? Also have you tried any 3D movies? The idea of that I find quite exciting too, assuming it's actually a good experience.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Is it actually comfortable to watch a movie or youtube on a screen so close to your face? Also have you tried any 3D movies? The idea of that I find quite exciting too, assuming it's actually a good experience.

I find it perfectly comfortable - I wear glasses and they don't present any issues either.

The quality of available 3D vids varies wildly, but the good ones are brilliant fun.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I find it perfectly comfortable - I wear glasses and they don't present any issues either.

The quality of available 3D vids varies wildly, but the good ones are brilliant fun.

Awesome thanks.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anyone tried the Oculus Quest 2? Any good? Kids want it to play games on instead of a console.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Anyone tried the Oculus Quest 2? Any good? Kids want it to play games on instead of a console.

I'm interested to find out too. Hoping there will be deals on black Friday.

I had VR for the PS4 but it was crap. That screen door affect spoils it but the reviews for the OQ2 are very good.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I don't have a Quest2 but I do have a first gen Quest and it's absolutely brilliant.

The quality and immersion of some the untethered games is fantastic, and I can plug it into my computer to play higher-end VR stuff like Elite: Dangerous.

From my experience with Quest 1, I would totally recommend it.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Friend of mine works in VR, so I've had exposure to a range of devices over the years.

From everything I've heard, he'd definitely suggest the Oculus Quest 2 as being the best option for untethered VR currently. Significantly better *and* cheaper than the original Quest.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo

A mate has one, it is proper good fun gaming at first but it's limitations can be discovered quite quickly. His young children try to use it but struggle a bit due to the headsets weight and size, with that in mind I briefly considered getting one for my family but ended up deciding to wait for VR to progress a bit further and got a Nintendo Switch. I'm sure they'll be cheaper and better quality headsets available soon.

I think my mate now mostly uses it for watching fights or other sports and feature which can be pretty cool.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
My eldest wants one for Xmas this year, which makes shopping much easier. I’m looking at the 64GB purely because it’s the cheaper option and £100 cheaper than the 256GB version... is it a big mistake getting the lower GB version, will it have a big impact on what he can/can’t do?

I’m clueless when it comes to tech, so any advice greatly received... final question, is £299 a fair price? Is it likely to be discounted anywhere during Black Friday??

Thanks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My eldest wants one for Xmas this year, which makes shopping much easier. I’m looking at the 64GB purely because it’s the cheaper option and £100 cheaper than the 256GB version... is it a big mistake getting the lower GB version, will it have a big impact on what he can/can’t do?

I’m clueless when it comes to tech, so any advice greatly received... final question, is £299 a fair price? Is it likely to be discounted anywhere during Black Friday??

Thanks

We’re looking at 64gb Quest 2 as well. It was, even a month ago available at £279.99 at Argos, so has potential for Black Friday discounts. Also have no idea if 64gb is enough or makes it frustrating? I’m figuring they can load games on and off rather than just have them all available at once.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

Thanks

One YouTube review I saw said 64G will be enough for most users who will only play 2 or 3 games at a time. The 256G is better for more serious gamers.

What I'm also interested to see are all of the VR videos on YouTube. Roller coasters, safari's, sky diving...

Also you can use your Netflix. It's not VR of course but it's like a huge cinema screen.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Bought a Quest 2 yesterday so am looking forward to seeing if it’s money well spent. Will definitely be buying the Star Wars game.
Does anyone know if Rift games etc can be viewed on the Q2? Quite fancy looking at the Twin Peaks immersive game.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Has anyone tried/got the Oculus Go?

Bought a Quest 2 yesterday so am looking forward to seeing if it’s money well spent. Will definitely be buying the Star Wars game.
Does anyone know if Rift games etc can be viewed on the Q2? Quite fancy looking at the Twin Peaks immersive game.

All rift games can be played via a link cable.

You used to need a specific link cable, but I think any USB C will do it now.

Get sidequest and you can get loads of off-store content as well.

Quest 2 is definitely an upgrade on quest, you’ll enjoy tetherless if you’ve only used rift.

It’s still an android device ultimately, so it’s limited in power when not attached to a pc.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
All rift games can be played via a link cable.

You used to need a specific link cable, but I think any USB C will do it now.

Get sidequest and you can get loads of off-store content as well.

Quest 2 is definitely an upgrade on quest, you’ll enjoy tetherless if you’ve only used rift.

It’s still an android device ultimately, so it’s limited in power when not attached to a pc.

For what it’s worth both me and at least one other nsc’er (who I won’t out) work in the VR world so happy to answer any queries [emoji4]

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
For what it’s worth both me and at least one other nsc’er (who I won’t out) work in the VR world so happy to answer any queries [emoji4]

Do you get a screen door affect with the OQ2 do you know? That's what ruined PSVR for me and I don't want to look forward to a OQ2 only to find it has the same. In all of the reviews I've seen no one has mentioned it so I'm assuming not.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Cheers. I’ve not used any version before and have never in my life been a gamer. I’ve just decided to indulge in a purchase I would never normally do, simply because I really like VR!
I may come back to you once it arrives in the post! Thanks!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here