Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why we looking at league 1/Championship players at best ??? (If True)

Says the poster supporting a team chock full of league 1/Championship players.

It would be nice to have a 'Glen' in the 25 man squad next season.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I live in Scotland so see a lot of Tavernier. I didn't think he could cut it under Hughton as he isn't defensively disciplined enough but is great going forward, an excellent passer and a tremendous crosser both from open play and set pieces. I think under a more attack minded possession focused manager he would be an excellent signing.

I am not convinced Kamara is of a standard where he could improve our first team however.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
From October 18:
James Tavernier is also wanted by Brighton, who were linked with the Rangers full-back during the summer and have since ramped up their interest. Hughton sent scouts to watch Tavernier play in his side’s midweek Europa League win over Rapid Vienna, a performance that earned him a place in Uefa’s Europa League team of the week. Asked about Brighton’s interest, Rangers manager Steven Gerrard hinted he’d be open to offers, but only those of an extremely generous kind. “I know the CEO at Brighton very well,” he said. “I used to work alongside him at the FA. He’s got my number and he knows where I am, but he best go to the owners and ask for an awful lot of money if he wants James Tavernier.”

It's on.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
I live in Scotland so see a lot of Tavernier. I didn't think he could cut it under Hughton as he isn't defensively disciplined enough but is great going forward, an excellent passer and a tremendous crosser both from open play and set pieces. I think under a more attack minded possession focused manager he would be an excellent signing.

I am not convinced Kamara is of a standard where he could improve our first team however.

What’s not to love about the idea of 5-4 wins?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll always be sceptical of players from Scotland. Back in the day, Scotland produced world class players and this reflected well on their league. Nowadays Scotland are shite and their league is shite (look at their European record). Oh and look at Conor Goldson - seemingly highly regarded at Rangers, but nowhere near the required level in the Premier league (and I liked Conor Goldson!).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't think either would cut it in the Prem personally

I fear this could well be our attitude to most of of upcoming signings. We are set up to bring through youth now it seems. This is a sea change to what we have had for the last few years. One it will take time to adjust and two we will be taking a risk on young lower/inferior league players (Scotland, Holland again?). Interesting times that could see something really exciting or could see us relegated well before the end of the season. I’m up for it, exciting times I think with plenty of wobbles on the way.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nowhere near? That's seems a bit revisionist to me
Opinions eh..

In my view he was a solid Championship player who could feasibly have been a starter for a play-off chasing team - he wasn't good enough for us to do that. The season we just missed out, Goldson played in that 2-2 draw against Burnley that ultimately left us just short of the top 2. They scored in the last minute from a corner after wrongly having one chalked off moments earlier. Anyway I heard that Hughton felt Goldson could have done better in that one.

He did have mistakes in him, and wasn't quite strong enough for the very highest level, yet he had a good attitude and would have walked into 95% of our sides since I've been watching from the 70s!

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
I'll always be sceptical of players from Scotland. Back in the day, Scotland produced world class players and this reflected well on their league. Nowadays Scotland are shite and their league is shite (look at their European record). Oh and look at Conor Goldson - seemingly highly regarded at Rangers, but nowhere near the required level in the Premier league (and I liked Conor Goldson!).

Neither players are Scottish. Tavernier is English and Kamara is Finnish

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here