Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Electrosensitivity - Real or Not?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Sensitivity to mobile phone masts etc. The NHS doesn't recognise it as a real health condition, whereas in Sweden they do. Anyone any experience of it? Know anyone who suffers from it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is what is known as fake science.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know H, I also know a couple of people who are selling up and moving to the sticks as a result of this (unproven) condition. Hmmm

Tell them the sticks have powerlines everywhere. I live in a wilderness, and I have electricity in my actual house, FFS. How come I'm not dead? ???

:lolol::cheers:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sensitivity to mobile phone masts etc. The NHS doesn't recognise it as a real health condition, whereas in Sweden they do. Anyone any experience of it? Know anyone who suffers from it?

Some 4G networks in the UK operate at 2.6GHz (some of Vodafone for example). Microwave ovens typically operate at 2.45GHz, right in the middle of the unregulated ISM band of 2.4-2.5GHz, as does 802.11ab wi-fi.

This nearness in frequency is what has lead to the concern about electrosensitivity. However, the power differential between a microwave oven (which would obviously do you a great deal of harm!) and a mobile or wi-fi is huge - this drives the school of thought that says it’s not possible to do anything to humans. It’s not dissimilar to the pro and anti homeopathy arguments.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Some 4G networks in the UK operate at 2.6GHz (some of Vodafone for example). Microwave ovens typically operate at 2.45GHz, right in the unregulated band of 2.4-2.5GHz.

This nearness in frequency is what has lead to the concern about electrosensitivity. However, the power differential is huge - this drives the school of thought that says it’s not possible to do anything to humans. It’s not dissimilar to the pro and anti homeopathy arguments.

Impending 5G seems to be one of their main concerns.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I know someone who cannot be near electricity as it makes them ill. They have no electricity and manage without.

It's certainly very real if you are sensitive to it, though obviously not everyone is.

Same reason why you might not be able to sleep well with lots of power cables running around/near the bed.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You probably only suffer from mobile phone masts if you are after some compensation from the owners of the masts.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

In the UK, the vast majority of 5G will be running at between 3.4 and 3.6GHz. This is a very long way from the frequencies used in microwave ovens, which is what they refer back to. Again, it’s the power they should be focusing on, not the frequency itself. Put enough power behind any frequency and it’ll damage you... the power being used in wireless comms is very small.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its amusing how all the fears and impending health problems associated with mobiles, then 3G, then 4G are being regurgitated for 5G. and with each increase in frequency the range and potential for impact decreases. 5G will be blocked by a shirt, wont penetrate buildings, but there are people saying its used as a death ray or mind control by government. it actually going to be a pain in the arse, being sold something no one needs and can bearly use.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
No idea about mobile signals but if taking the word at its truest then I do but not in a way you might expect.

Since I can remember if I walk past certain street lights in my current neighbourhood [and going back to when I lived in Brighton] they go out. When I move away from them they turn back on.

I also suffer a disproportionate amount of electrostatic discharge or build up and often unwittingly give people shocks or receive shocks from seemingly inert objects.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
No idea about mobile signals but if taking the word at its truest then I do but not in a way you might expect.

Since I can remember if I walk past certain street lights in my current neighbourhood [and going back to when I lived in Brighton] they go out. When I move away from them they turn back on.

I also suffer a disproportionate amount of electrostatic discharge or build up and often unwittingly give people shocks or receive shocks from seemingly inert objects.

Please could you post a video of the lights (assuming you can find a camera tough enough to stay powered on in your presence...)?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I definitely have a 'thing' with early Bluetooth. I get a slight buzzing and odd headache with Nintendo Wii and old smartphones. No idea why and doesn't seem so much of a thing with modern phones but I guess it is a frequency thing.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

:eek:

Never heard of that before.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I lady on our little business park said she hard-wires her router and has turned off the wi-fi.... as the wi-fi waves seriously affect her health. She said since she did that she feels completely better, had no migraines and doesn't feel sick. :shrug:

I whipped out my mobile phone, turned wi-fi on, it did a scan, then found a total of 17 hotspots and wi-fi routers - all with almost maximum strength, all coming from the 15 or so little business units surrounding her. ???

Added to the fact that literally hundreds of mobile phone and radio waves whizz around at any given time, I call bullshit on the theory....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here