Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Beware dyke Road and North street bus lanes are now 24 hours !

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
8am.jpg

My son has been driving down Dyke Road into North Street at approximately 8.50 ish each evening for the past two weeks past the sign below that shows 8am to 8pm.
Since last week each day he has been receiving fixed penalty notice for driving in a restricted bus lane, 12 at the last count. He has been contesting these each day, but as the number increased he became concerned that he maybe have not read the signs correctly and started to doubt himself.

We told him that he needed to go to the town hall and sort it, if he had been mistaken, he needed to put some payment plan in action (he has limited income) so that the problem did not become too big, debt collectors adding fee etc.

He was initially fobbed off with “its all dealt with online” you need to appeal ect, but eventually with persistence he got someone to talk to him.
When they looked into it they admitted it was a known problem and that a “contractor had put the wrong signs up” and it was now restricted 24 hours a day !

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 roads down...

...just the rest of Brighton to go!

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Keep dated evidence showing that sign.

The BHCC person who verbally admitted the issue, might acquire selective amnesia later on.

With persistence, your son should win. Keep copies of all your son’s letters sent to them and send them ‘signed for’.

Good luck.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sorry I don’t get this...why would anyone drive in a bus lane? I never take a chance of driving in a bus lane at any time. Certainly when driving, very rarely, in Brighton, I always avoid western road, north street etc as there is no point in taking a chance.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Sorry I don’t get this...why would anyone drive in a bus lane? I never take a chance of driving in a bus lane at any time. Certainly when driving, very rarely, in Brighton, I always avoid western road, north street etc as there is no point in taking a chance.

I wondered how long that would take. First page. Well done.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He was initially fobbed off with “its all dealt with online” you need to appeal ect, but eventually with persistence he got someone to talk to him.
When they looked into it they admitted it was a known problem and that a “contractor had put the wrong signs up” and it was now restricted 24 hours a day !

i believe legally they have to put the correct signage in place to enforce changes. and there should be a change of road use, planning permission somewhere.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Slightly different position but the A27 at Falmer had road works overnight recently. I drive from the A270 Lewes Road and join the A27 with bollards closing all but one lane. Just beyond the bridge going east there was a speed camera van. I checked my speed which was about 55 but suddenly realised it may be 40 or less..Next evening I went slow but still saw no speed signs and the van was there again. I've stored all my dashcam footage as evidence.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I kinda agree though. Even though it would appear the fella is in the right but wouldn't you after the first penalty go well its not worth the hassle having to fight these so I won't drive in the bus lane until its sorted? Perhaps thats just me.
Agreed but surely the lad was following the signage so was totally unaware that he was in the wrong (I don't think he was btw)
, Whenever there's another forum member penalised for a ridiculous motoring offence, there's always someone lining up to wag their finger at them. The innocent party is clearly OPs son so why be all "it's his own fault" ? Bev was maki g that point.

I just don't get it.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Agreed but surely the lad was following the signage so was totally unaware that he was in the wrong (I don't think he was btw)
, Whenever there's another forum member penalised for a ridiculous motoring offence, there's always someone lining up to wag their finger at them. The innocent party is clearly OPs son so why be all "it's his own fault" ? Bev was maki g that point.

I just don't get it.

Agreed. Wasn't saying he was in the wrong for what he did far from it in fact.

I've had two parking fines of late, both of which were wrong, I appealed and had them both over turned without issue but they were both hassle I could have done without.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
View attachment 110767

My son has been driving down Dyke Road into North Street

Must admit I haven't driven there for a while, but I was under the impression that you couldn't drive from Dyke Road into North Street, given that at the traffic lights with the junction of Upper North Street, had a no entry sign and bus lane only sign without any time show, whereas the photo you have posted is going up North Street not down

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Must admit I haven't driven there for a while, but I was under the impression that you couldn't drive from Dyke Road into North Street, given that at the traffic lights with the junction of Upper North Street, had a no entry sign and bus lane only sign without any time show, whereas the photo you have posted is going up North Street not down

Yes, you're right - I cycle that way some days and I'm pretty sure that you can only drive down Dyke Road so far as the turn off before Pizza Hut/opposite the entrance to the Imperial Arcade. You can take a right to access the office buildings there but I don't think that you can drive down past the Pizza Hut. This may be where the ticketing is coming from - I'm curious as to what the signs say now, I might cycle home that way!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes, you're right - I cycle that way some days and I'm pretty sure that you can only drive down Dyke Road so far as the turn off before Pizza Hut/opposite the entrance to the Imperial Arcade. You can take a right to access the office buildings there but I don't think that you can drive down past the Pizza Hut. This may be where the ticketing is coming from - I'm curious as to what the signs say now, I might cycle home that way!

If you look on Google Street View, there's clearly a no entry sign there. The image was from March 2019, so it's unlikely that's changed.

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 12.18.48 PM.png

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I kinda agree though. Even though it would appear the fella is in the right but wouldn't you after the first penalty go well its not worth the hassle having to fight these so I won't drive in the bus lane until its sorted? Perhaps thats just me.

He did just that, the first one came through 12 days after the first drive down it. He stopped after getting that thinking he may have got it wrong, buy then he had done 12 times ! hence they kept coming.

birthofanorange

Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
He did just that, the first one came through 12 days after the first drive down it. He stopped after getting that thinking he may have got it wrong, buy then he had done 12 times ! hence they kept coming.

So he did drive 'down', not 'up'? If so, it's harsh but understandable, as it's only buses and taxis that can enter in that direction, as shown on the signs.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Oh blimey. Well he has my sympathies. Hopefully you'll get someone half sensible who'll be able to cancel all 12 in one pop.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Because it's twice as fast if cars are using two lanes instead of one.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I predict this thread going viral after reddit picks up on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here