Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 63 Up starts tomorrow

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The greatest documentary series of all time (?) starts its latest update tomorrow.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've got the previous ones to watch - I expect they live up to the emotional rollercoaster I'm expecting them to be? Really want to get my act together and watch them.

Yes, some of the stories - genuine reality TV this, they cover entire lives - are heartbreaking. Others are uplifting. Many are average. Just like real life. Utterly compelling.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
7 Up and Me was on as a precursor tonight - various people discussing the programme and comparing it to aspects of their own lives. I had a little weep when they were discussing deaths of parents, many of the experiences were similar to that of me and my dear old dad.

Really looking forward to this. I have watched every seven years throughout my life, starting with 14 Up when I was 6.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely can't wait. They are 2 years older than me. We watched 7 14 and 21 as part of a sociology option I took at uni. I was shocked at the reality of the poverty of some of those kids. The poor lad from Liverpool who dropped out of uni and ended up semi destitute. And that public schol boy who became a medic. Bring it on.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
The greatest documentary series of all time (?) starts its latest update tomorrow.

Totally agree , the best in so many ways , having seen every one of the episodes from 7 to 63 . Moving and has mirrored my own years , just watched the 7 up and me program which was very good too .

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Does anyone know if [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] is ill? I was expecting a contribution from him by now. I do hope he’s ok.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Bloody hell.

Where did the years between 21 Up and 63 Up go??

As a 53 year old I can't help but be engaged by this programme. It has effectively documented our lives. One thing that strikes me beyond the individual stories is how much things have changed since when we were kids. I know it's now a long time ago, but it really was a different era (power cuts, no internet, few TVs really round our way, playing on the street. End of the innocence in the 80s I think).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I first saw this as a 12/13 year old in 1991 at the '35 Up' stage as my Dad who'd watched it since 1964 was a fan and told me to watch it and I've seen all episodes since. That's one of the great things about this series - you don't need to have watched it since 1964 to get into it and enjoy it - you could watch it for the first time tonight and pick it up straight away and enjoy it as it's so engrossing.

I did read somewhere in the build up to the new series that it's future is solely linked to the original producer and now director Michael Apted who selected the kids back in 1964. He's now 78 and the participants have said they won't continue doing it when he's no longer around.

Also since '56 Up' in 2012 the first of the participants has sadly passed away.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Does anyone know if [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]is ill? I was expecting a contribution from him by now. I do hope he’s ok.

(7up). Still one of the great German films in my catalogue.(El Pres)

Last edited:

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A triumph.
Have watched most of these over the years.
Enjoyed the catch up programme last night. Richard E Grant talking about boarding school really punched me in the gut as did the death of the parents, all of which have been a huge part of my life.

Truly a great program.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I first saw this as a 12/13 year old in 1991 at the '35 Up' stage as my Dad who'd watched it since 1964 was a fan and told me to watch it and I've seen all episodes since. That's one of the great things about this series - you don't need to have watched it since 1964 to get into it and enjoy it - you could watch it for the first time tonight and pick it up straight away and enjoy it as it's so engrossing.

I did read somewhere in the build up to the new series that it's future is solely linked to the original producer and now director Michael Apted who selected the kids back in 1964. He's now 78 and the participants have said they won't continue doing it when he's no longer around.

Also since '56 Up' in 2012 the first of the participants has sadly passed away.

I didn't know one of them had passed away? One of the public school boys refuses to take part despite making documentaries himself

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Absolutely can't wait. They are 2 years older than me. We watched 7 14 and 21 as part of a sociology option I took at uni. I was shocked at the reality of the poverty of some of those kids. The poor lad from Liverpool who dropped out of uni and ended up semi destitute. And that public schol boy who became a medic. Bring it on.

the lad from Liverpool is Neil (I believe?) So sad what happened to him after seeing him as a chirpy 7 year old.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I didn't know one of them had passed away? One of the public school boys refuses to take part despite making documentaries himself

It was Lynn in 2013 - one of the East End girls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here