Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 63 Up starts tomorrow

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's wonderful stuff. The degree of honesty around and ability to deal with difficult things is striking and humbling.

But one thing that I noticed last night was that at least two of the participants said that they do not enjoy doing it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's wonderful stuff. The degree of honesty around and ability to deal with difficult things is striking and humbling.

But one thing that I noticed last night was that at least two of the participants said that they do not enjoy doing it.

Yes, both citing the degree of difficulty it poses in making them think about the truth of their lives, their relationships, and now their health/mortality. We all, to varying degrees, hide the truth, even from ourselves.

That the participants are willing to subject themselves to such a difficult process every seven years is testament to Apsted’s skills of persuasion and ability to forge a deep personal relationship with each participant. It’s even more of a testament to each participant who, so far at least, seem to recognise a sense of “duty” to see it through. They all deserve our thanks a respect for doing it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
What I love about this is that these are complex & interesting folk, with all their flaws and imperfections. The seminal moment in last night's episode was Tony - the little East End, taxi-driver geezer - who you just knew would be very right wing and reactionary...……...and who then said he'd be voting Green

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What I love about this is that these are complex & interesting folk, with all their flaws and imperfections. The seminal moment in last night's episode was Tony - the little East End, taxi-driver geezer - who you just knew would be very right wing and reactionary...……...and who then said he'd be voting Green

LOL, don't read a book by its cover

Really looking forward to this. Took my misses to this on our 1st date back in 1999, a cinema in New Zealand!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
the lad from Liverpool is Neil (I believe?) So sad what happened to him after seeing him as a chirpy 7 year old.

Quite. I can't help wondering whether being on the programme affected him, or whether it was simply a case of mental health issues.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
63 up is fantastic , it seems to illustrate that most of the time if you start off not very academic & working class you struggle your whole life. If you are fortunate enough to be fairly bright and middle class you usually end up a success.

There are obviously some exceptions but this seems to be the case in point made by the producer.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Life's hard enough without it being intrusive to the TV cameras. I admire their honesty - does any personal grief that they've had has to be aired or do you get the option of it being edited?

Even the lure of money wouldn't force me into this programme and my parents hardly had a pot to pee in when my sister and brother were young.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Yes, both citing the degree of difficulty it poses in making them think about the truth of their lives, their relationships, and now their health/mortality. We all, to varying degrees, hide the truth, even from ourselves.

That the participants are willing to subject themselves to such a difficult process every seven years is testament to Apsted’s skills of persuasion and ability to forge a deep personal relationship with each participant. It’s even more of a testament to each participant who, so far at least, seem to recognise a sense of “duty” to see it through. They all deserve our thanks a respect for doing it.

It's almost like attending a school reunion with all its negative connotations with the focus of everybody's attention being solely directed at you and it being publicly broadcast for the nation's consumption. I can understand why it would prove challenging and uncomfortable, unless of course you are totally smug and conceited and totally happy with your lot, which none of the participants appear to be.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Quite. I can't help wondering whether being on the programme affected him, or whether it was simply a case of mental health issues.

I don't think the programme was a catalyst for his problems although it might not have helped having them so publicly exposed. You can see the onset of his mental health issues as early as 14 in the second series. The difference between the 7 year old and 14 year old is very stark. The bubbly, outgoing and happy 7 year old and the slightly withdrawn 14 year old are like two totally different people.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
The difference between the 7 year old and 14 year old is very stark. The bubbly, outgoing and happy 7 year old and the slightly withdrawn 14 year old are like two totally different people.

Isn't that the same for virtually all the participants? The difference between 7 and 14 was jaw droppingly massive.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Isn't that the same for virtually all the participants? The difference between 7 and 14 was jaw droppingly massive.

Of course all the other 14 year olds were going through their awkward teenage phase but with Neil you got the sense that there was something more deep seated, which of course is easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. But there was a distinct sense of melancholia in the 14 year old Neil which was more than mere teenage awkwardness and was in sharp contrast to the happy and outgoing seven year old. I think the difference in him was more extreme than in the others.

Most of the others were displaying classic teenage character traits as characterised and amplified by Harry Enfield's Kevin the Teenager and this was most notably exemplified by Suzy the sullen 14 year old public schoolgirl. She then transitioned to the classic rebellious, cynical phase as the chain smoking 21 year old and by the fourth series was a respectable married with children settled down 28 year old. I think of all the participants she fulfilled all the stereotypical phases of growing up more than anyone, almost to the point of caricature.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
That bit on Lynn made me shed a tear. Proper local woman who worked for the local community her whole life. She was the kind of person our communities were built around.

I balled my eyes out, but it did stir up a lot of stuff in my own life tbh .... God knows what I will be like when Neil is on tonight's episode!

think I meant bawled my eyes out btw :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here