Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Advice on the best way to sell a knackered car?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
My 2006 Mercedes C class sport edition has a knackered auto transmission. The car is currently sat on my drive and I’m unsure of how to sell it. Obviously it will most likely be used for parts, but what is the best way to go about doing that and to achieve at least a little money. The car has quite high spec, leather seats satnav etc etc. Just the car is in limp mode so I can’t trade it in with a dealer.
Any help or advice is very much appreciated thank you.

JimothyJames95

Jan 2, 2019
Eastbourne
Just advertise it for parts and if someone thinks they can pick it up and drive it away then it should be alright. How much are you looking for a decent working one of a similar age?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Just advertise it for parts and if someone thinks they can pick it up and drive it away then it should be alright. How much are you looking for a decent working one of a similar age?

Parker’s shows about 1500 private and 800 trade in. Realistically I’ll be happy with about £250. It can be driven, it’s just in limp mode. Where would you recommend I advertise it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ebay.

JimothyJames95

Jan 2, 2019
Eastbourne
Parker’s shows about 1500 private and 800 trade in. Realistically I’ll be happy with about £250. It can be driven, it’s just in limp mode. Where would you recommend I advertise it?

I’d try the usually, eBay, Facebook, possibly Friday ad. Either that or ring up Ripleys and see how much you can get for scrap. What ever option is best for you.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I had an MOT failed Nissan Micra and I expected to pay someone to take it away, but Hove car spares gave me £120 for it so maybe its worth giving them a ring?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
£120 is about the going rate for it to go to a scrap yard, it may be worth more as parts.
Personally it's quite a high spec Merc that just needs someone who knows what he is doing to put it back on the road (like wheeler dealers)
I would advertise it where those people look for a project depending on its condition you could get more than you think.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
What’s the problem with the auto box?

Might just need a proper clean out and new fluid/filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
You’d need to check but I think that Mercedes use the “sealed for life” ZF automatic transmission.

If this is the case with your car then your problem sounds very much like the one I had with my Jag which also uses the ZF box - kept coming up with gearbox ‘error’ and going into limp mode. Despite being “sealed for life” you can get the box refilled with fresh fluid. Solved my problem and cost less than £200.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Definitely worth calling automatic gearbox centre in hove

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Google 'We scrap any car', Seriously. I did this a few weeks ago after a disastrous MOT failure that frankly left me no choice. It was collected from my drive same day and I got almost as much as We buy any car.com offered me over a year ago.
Ridiculously, I still had to produce photo ID though.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
What's the model, mileage and condition? I have a friend who buys cars like this and I can suggest it to him. :)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
What’s the problem with the auto box?

Might just need a proper clean out and new fluid/filter

Yes it failed a few weeks back, I got the fluid and filter changed also all new connectors and seals. It went for another 2k miles and has now failed again. My mech thinks it’s the pump system causing the problem but all options like new gearbox, a reconditioned one, or getting mine reconditioned, are too costly. I’ve already spent £800 on it, which included the dpf cleaned out. I’m not prepared to throw more money at it.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
What's the model, mileage and condition? I have a friend who buys cars like this and I can suggest it to him. :)

It’s got a lot of miles 217k. Which is probably why the gearbox has gone. But the engine is a thoroughbred and I’ve always looked after it.
Bodywork isn’t great, mainly down the the lacquer fading on the bonnet only.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Google 'We scrap any car', Seriously. I did this a few weeks ago after a disastrous MOT failure that frankly left me no choice. It was collected from my drive same day and I got almost as much as We buy any car.com offered me over a year ago.
Ridiculously, I still had to produce photo ID though.

Similar story. During the rail strikes when the trains became totally stressful I bought an old banger to go to work. Eventually it died and I got £180 from Hove Car Spares. (They came and picked it up). Interestingly when it was still working (valid MOT and everything), and I was looking to sell it, We Buy Any Car quoted me £75! So I actually got more selling it for scrap!

(I didn't got to HCS directly, I googled car scrapping and entered my address and reg no into some 3rd party portal. Can't remember which one it was.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here