Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Parking Eye- Penalty Notice. A Rant.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
One thing I'm glad about is that this kind of stuff won't be around forever. The generations below the "old" (75+ years old?) are internet savvy, know their rights (or can at east look them up online) and won't stand for this kind of thing. These bottom fe

O eders will run out of food, and I can't wait for them to starve and die...

Speaking now as one of the older people, may I say that the older you get, the harder it is to deal with things even if you know the answer really.
One's powers of savvyness wane with passing years.
Sadly , I fear that the scammers will always be around

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Firstly the doctors surgery IS to blame - they hired Parking Eye. Parking Eye are one of the biggest scammers out there when it comes to private parking. Owned by Capita.

When they managed the Aldi car park in Portslade I was verbally abused by one of their parking 'wardens' when every car he tried to take a photo of I stood in front of their number plate :lol: They now use ANPR.

If you want a rant then the CEO email for Capita is - Jonathan.Lewis@capita.com

Good luck - I've had hundreds of their tickets cancelled but the real champion is [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION].

Parking Eye are scum, scum, scum, scum, scum,scum !!!!!

No longer Capita.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Email the surgery and ask them if they think their parking measures could in anyway discriminate against the elderly or infirm. These firms thrive on the most vulnerable, quite appalling really.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's interesting though, what do you do if you pay rent for land and need parking spaces for your business and Joe Public keeps rocking up, ignore the signs and park because it's free? Should I pay to police the area myself or get an expert company in to police it and then they take a fee from each fine for doing so?

I’m not sure the surgery will get any money at all. They may even be paying for the parking company’s service. That’s how it works in our flats. They’re absolute scumbags unfortunately but, without them, we have a real problem with non-residents nicking all the spaces.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's interesting though, what do you do if you pay rent for land and need parking spaces for your business and Joe Public keeps rocking up, ignore the signs and park because it's free? Should I pay to police the area myself or get an expert company in to police it and then they take a fee from each fine for doing so?

It’s not easy to ‘police’ yourself, you can’t easily get the details of the registered owner.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Email the surgery and ask them if they think their parking measures could in anyway discriminate against the elderly or infirm. These firms thrive on the most vulnerable, quite appalling really.

In which case a GP might have to, on fitness to be able to drive safely grounds, report to DVLA ?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

The ones who are really causing the harm are the inconsiderate drivers who fill up the parking spaces!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Clamping is already outlawed but how do you suggest that an office near Gatwick can deter people from parking in their car park? Barriers don’t work, notices don’t work - block trespassers in with another vehicle and the police tell you move it.

All very well suggesting court action but that doesn’t help the office worker whose space is filled and so has to pay to park in a car park!

Ensuring the errant parker returns to four flat tyres might be a good deterrent - perhaps with a helpful note on the windscreen saying 'care - you have flat tyres'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So this morning a penalty notice arrives from these delightful folk.

Not a problem.

They have charged me for legitimately parking whilst at a doctor's appointment. I rang the surgery who inform me they will get it cancelled. I always register my car on arrival although they cannot confirm if this was processed properly.

For me this is not enough.

I have no beef with the surgery but I do with the parking company.

Let's say I was an older patient prone to worry about such notices. I might be scared and simply pay up. This is wrong.

I try to call the parking company to vent my reasoned rage and the number only takes automated payments. So, again, an older person may not be so savvy when it comes to gathering evidence to appeal. They might not even be sure how to go about it in the way the parking company requires.

I have time on my hands, and knowledge, I can deal with this. It's others who may struggle.

How do deal with these organisations ?

I do. These are the ****ers who employ the parking nazis. We have it here in Faversham. Calling [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION]

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Ensuring the errant parker returns to four flat tyres might be a good deterrent - perhaps with a helpful note on the windscreen saying 'care - you have flat tyres'.

Not sure that would be legal but a ‘note’ asking the driver not to park there again, printed on A3 paper attached to the windscreen with copious amounts of treacle seems to be effective - the problem is though that there is always another selfish idiot willing to take their place.

I’ve not seen any suggestion from those who call the parking management firms names how land owners could control trespass parking without their use. I would lay odds that there would be all sorts of name calling if they found people parking in their driveway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’ve not seen any suggestion from those who call the parking management firms names how land owners could control trespass parking without their use. I would lay odds that there would be all sorts of name calling if they found people parking in their driveway.

agree, its the methods and ethical standards that are the problem. no one would be happy with someone parked in their driveway, or indeed unable to park in their local supermarket/surgery because people use the spaces while pop off elsewhere for a few hours.

the businesses need to choose well behaved parking enforcement companies, with some stick from government regulation. im surprised they havent cleaned up their game, super aggressive seems to the only method they use, should have been driven out by better services.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not sure that would be legal but a ‘note’ asking the driver not to park there again, printed on A3 paper attached to the windscreen with copious amounts of treacle seems to be effective - the problem is though that there is always another selfish idiot willing to take their place.

So employing firms that work on the very edge of the law ..... many times actually breaking the law .... is the answer ?? The tickets are easy to get cancelled anyway. I don't condone inconsiderate parking ( it's not illegal parking ) but it should be managed without the use of criminals. You might as well suggest it's OK for one of these parking companies to employ a heavy who gives an errant parker a good beating when they return to their car. You've dismissed a barrier but a vast majority of the car parks these criminals 'manage' ( they don't really manage them despite their claims ) aren't large shared car parks so a barrier would be more than suitable. After all you wouldn't leave your front door unlocked to allow any old person to come and watch your telly .... why leave your car park unsecured ?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It’s not easy to ‘police’ yourself, you can’t easily get the details of the registered owner.

That's my point though, they may be a necessary evil, at the moment I pay £,000s of pounds for six parking spaces and they get used by people using the station, Mum's dropping kids off and my team have to go and find parking half a mile away + causing unnecessary angst.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
agree, its the methods and ethical standards that are the problem. no one would be happy with someone parked in their driveway, or indeed unable to park in their local supermarket/surgery because people use the spaces while pop off elsewhere for a few hours.

the businesses need to choose well behaved parking enforcement companies, with some stick from government regulation. im surprised they havent cleaned up their game, super aggressive seems to the only method they use, should have been driven out by better services.

And picking up on TOW's point above

I don't know (and I'm certainly not justifying these companies), but could it be that the current law is insufficient for a well behaved parking enforcement company to profitably operate ?

As far as I am aware, if you dispute a penalty notice (and I've done it myself) they eventually have to take you to court to get payment and this is unprofitable ? That may be one of the reasons they pump out as many notices as possible at every opportunity, because it's not possible to generate an honest number profitably and so it just turns into a numbers game.

Ironically, could it be that the laws need to become more stringent in order for a 'reasonable' company to operate :shrug:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
And picking up on TOW's point above

I don't know (and I'm certainly not justifying these companies), but could it be that the current law is insufficient for a well behaved parking enforcement company to profitably operate ?

As far as I am aware, if you dispute a penalty notice (and I've done it myself) they eventually have to take you to court to get payment and this is unprofitable ? That may be one of the reasons they pump out as many notices as possible at every opportunity, because it's not possible to generate an honest number profitably and so it just turns into a numbers game.

Ironically, could it be that the laws need to become more stringent in order for a 'reasonable' company to operate :shrug:

Where else can you "steal" from a company, which is what is is, they are taking something from me I've paid for. I pay over £1,800 per parking space, I can't add a barrier or bollards and I don't have the will or time to police this myself. At the moment I am providing community parking as most of the times it's full when staff arrive. Locals know there's no impact on using this so my best option is to give the "fine opportunity" to one of these organisations and at least, over time, I should get my spaces back.

* BTW it's not as bad as this now due to polite notices on cars etc, but it's a never ending battle

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
So employing firms that work on the very edge of the law ..... many times actually breaking the law .... is the answer ?? The tickets are easy to get cancelled anyway. I don't condone inconsiderate parking ( it's not illegal parking ) but it should be managed without the use of criminals. You might as well suggest it's OK for one of these parking companies to employ a heavy who gives an errant parker a good beating when they return to their car. You've dismissed a barrier but a vast majority of the car parks these criminals 'manage' ( they don't really manage them despite their claims ) aren't large shared car parks so a barrier would be more than suitable. After all you wouldn't leave your front door unlocked to allow any old person to come and watch your telly .... why leave your car park unsecured ?

Simply not possible in all cases to put up barriers in a car park that is shared with the public on a pay and display basis - all that can realistically be done is put notices up and employ a deterrent for when these are ignored.

Your analogy of leaving the front door open is not applicable - if you did come home and someone was sat in front of your TV then the police could and would take action, not so with a car park space, (quite the opposite if you try to block anyone who does use it). More appropriate is the analogy of a car parked in your driveway.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
So this morning a penalty notice arrives from these delightful folk.

Not a problem.

They have charged me for legitimately parking whilst at a doctor's appointment. I rang the surgery who inform me they will get it cancelled. I always register my car on arrival although they cannot confirm if this was processed properly.

For me this is not enough.

I have no beef with the surgery but I do with the parking company.

Let's say I was an older patient prone to worry about such notices. I might be scared and simply pay up. This is wrong.

I try to call the parking company to vent my reasoned rage and the number only takes automated payments. So, again, an older person may not be so savvy when it comes to gathering evidence to appeal. They might not even be sure how to go about it in the way the parking company requires.

I have time on my hands, and knowledge, I can deal with this. It's others who may struggle.

How do deal with these organisations ?

I am in the midst of a dispute with Parking eye.

I was at a conference in a hotel in Bournemouth and was told to where to park by a receptionist and that as I was attending the conference I would not have to pay. A notice on the Reception desk confirmed this. A month later I received a demand for payment of a fine from Parking eye. I told them (by letter and email) of the circumstances but this so called 'appeal' was rejected. I have refused to pay and regular letters threatening increasing fines, payment of their legal costs and court action have followed. For a while I responded to each one in writing but I now throw their letters in the bin. This was two years ago and whilst I haven't heard from them for a couple of months, I have no doubt their computer will throw out another threatening letter soon.

I am fully prepared to go to court and counter sue for harassment. I don't know why this has particularly got under my skin but it has and because I am perhaps young enough to not feel intimidated and I have adequate means to fight a court case, I will do so. However I suspect it will never happen because Parking Eye's tactic is to worry people into paying rather than risk court action.

If there is a clear cut case they might take it further and will no doubt win. However if there is any doubt (and there clearly is in your case) I do not believe they will. However it is profitable for them to send out continuous letters threatening action because many people will pay either out of fear or just to make the subject 'go away'.

So my advice from my own experience is to just ignore them and eventually they will give up. They are bullies operating on the very edge of the law but they will, like all bullies, eventually turn their attention to the easier targets (which is morally wrong again as the 'easier targets' are likely to be the elderly) and give up on those that stand up to them.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I am in the midst of a dispute with Parking eye.

I was at a conference in a hotel in Bournemouth and was told to where to park by a receptionist and that as I was attending the conference I would not have to pay. A notice on the Reception desk confirmed this. A month later I received a demand for payment of a fine from Parking eye. I told them (by letter and email) of the circumstances but this so called 'appeal' was rejected. I have refused to pay and regular letters threatening increasing fines, payment of their legal costs and court action have followed. For a while I responded to each one in writing but I now throw their letters in the bin. This was two years ago and whilst I haven't heard from them for a couple of months, I have no doubt their computer will throw out another threatening letter soon.

I am fully prepared to go to court and counter sue for harassment. I don't know why this has particularly got under my skin but it has and because I am perhaps young enough to not feel intimidated and I have adequate means to fight a court case, I will do so. However I suspect it will never happen because Parking Eye's tactic is to worry people into paying rather than risk court action.

If there is a clear cut case they might take it further and will no doubt win. However if there is any doubt (and there clearly is in your case) I do not believe they will. However it is profitable for them to send out continuous letters threatening action because many people will pay either out of fear or just to make the subject 'go away'.

So my advice from my own experience is to just ignore them and eventually they will give up. They are bullies operating on the very edge of the law but they will, like all bullies, eventually turn their attention to the easier targets (which is morally wrong again as the 'easier targets' are likely to be the elderly) and give up on those that stand up to them.

I’ll be looking out for you on Can’t Pay Take It Away. [emoji23]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here