Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Parking Eye- Penalty Notice. A Rant.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
So this morning a penalty notice arrives from these delightful folk.

Not a problem.

They have charged me for legitimately parking whilst at a doctor's appointment. I rang the surgery who inform me they will get it cancelled. I always register my car on arrival although they cannot confirm if this was processed properly.

For me this is not enough.

I have no beef with the surgery but I do with the parking company.

Let's say I was an older patient prone to worry about such notices. I might be scared and simply pay up. This is wrong.

I try to call the parking company to vent my reasoned rage and the number only takes automated payments. So, again, an older person may not be so savvy when it comes to gathering evidence to appeal. They might not even be sure how to go about it in the way the parking company requires.

I have time on my hands, and knowledge, I can deal with this. It's others who may struggle.

How do deal with these organisations ?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Far too many companies out there making money from those not savvy, disgusting really

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
One thing I'm glad about is that this kind of stuff won't be around forever. The generations below the "old" (75+ years old?) are internet savvy, know their rights (or can at east look them up online) and won't stand for this kind of thing. These bottom feeders will run out of food, and I can't wait for them to starve and die...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Not a problem.

They have charged me for legitimately parking whilst at a doctor's appointment. I rang the surgery who inform me they will get it cancelled. I always register my car on arrival although they cannot confirm if this was processed properly.

Let's say I was an older patient prone to worry about such notices. I might be scared and simply pay up. This is wrong.

I try to call the parking company to vent my reasoned rage and the number only takes automated payments. So, again, an older person may not be so savvy when it comes to gathering evidence to appeal. They might not even be sure how to go about it in the way the parking company requires.

I have time on my hands, and knowledge, I can deal with this. It's others who may struggle.

Go straight to to the top: https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-79139

Countless times, I've had disputes with bellends down the food chain at companies. Copied in the boss on the email thread I've been using and all of a sudden the problem goes away. The only time I can see it not working is when the guy at the top is the problem (Ryanair and Stuart Paskin are the only exceptions I can think of), but I don't know that mob well enough to comment.

Good luck.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Too many organisations are contracting out policing their car parks to firms who were more or less cowboy. clampers who had to find new revenue streams when the clamping laws came in a few years ago. Travelodge and Network Rail have done it, for example.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Not a problem.

You say you have no beef with the surgery - but aren't they employing these hoodlums? If so, they are deserving of your wrath too I reckon.

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
You say you have no beef with the surgery - but aren't they employing these hoodlums? If so, they are deserving of your wrath too I reckon.

I think you have a point. I should re-think. The receptionist, who was most apologetic and helpful, did say they have had a number of complaints.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think you have a point. I should re-think. The receptionist, who was most apologetic and helpful, did say they have had a number of complaints.

In their defence, that may not necessarily have much oversight of the practice of the company they've partnered with to police their carpark. They'll have been excited by however much money was being waved at them. The reality is, though, that they have a duty of care to their patrons and should make sure it is clear the parking regulations and what to do if their patients are given a ticket.

Do you think they've got reasonable signage up to try and help people? If not, there's some feedback for the surgery straight away.

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
In their defence, that may not necessarily have much oversight of the practice of the company they've partnered with to police their carpark. They'll have been excited by however much money was being waved at them. The reality is, though, that they have a duty of care to their patrons and should make sure it is clear the parking regulations and what to do if their patients are given a ticket.

Do you think they've got reasonable signage up to try and help people? If not, there's some feedback for the surgery straight away.

The signage is fine. Although I'm sure it could be missed by someone running late. My concern is that I would have registered my number and it was suggested that the system may not have logged it properly.

I don't want to let this go. I'm concerned for folk who could be stung.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
All these private parking firms should be outlawed, they should have no legal right to levy fines or clamp people unless it is done through a court of law

Clamping is already outlawed but how do you suggest that an office near Gatwick can deter people from parking in their car park? Barriers don’t work, notices don’t work - block trespassers in with another vehicle and the police tell you move it.

All very well suggesting court action but that doesn’t help the office worker whose space is filled and so has to pay to park in a car park!

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I think there should be a compensation fee equal to the amount of the ticket for any ticket issued where there is a successful appeal. This can be used to compensate the victim, as this is what they are, for their time and effort when they have done nothing wrong. Why should someone have to take time to write to a company, provide proof they were not illegally parked, sometimes take time out to attend a review meeting or whatever they call it and get nothing for it?

The companies, and I'm including Brighton traffic wardens here, are too quick just to slap a ticket on a car as they know that either the owner pays up, or it's appealed and they just don't get their money, no loss to them. Maybe they would think twice if there was some form of financial consequence to getting it wrong.

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's interesting though, what do you do if you pay rent for land and need parking spaces for your business and Joe Public keeps rocking up, ignore the signs and park because it's free? Should I pay to police the area myself or get an expert company in to police it and then they take a fee from each fine for doing so?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I think there should be a compensation fee equal to the amount of the ticket for any ticket issued where there is a successful appeal. This can be used to compensate the victim, as this is what they are, for their time and effort when they have done nothing wrong. Why should someone have to take time to write to a company, provide proof they were not illegally parked, sometimes take time out to attend a review meeting or whatever they call it and get nothing for it?

The companies, and I'm including Brighton traffic wardens here, are too quick just to slap a ticket on a car as they know that either the owner pays up, or it's appealed and they just don't get their money, no loss to them. Maybe they would think twice if there was some form of financial consequence to getting it wrong.

I really like that idea. The problem at the moment is that there is no downside for them if they just carpet-bomb as many cars as possible. A percentage will pay up regardless. If there was some onus on them to get it right, it would certainly help.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is the same firm that won a recent County Court case against a driver who being tired stopped at a motorway service station and slept for more than 2 hours.

CheeseRolls

Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Clamping is already outlawed but how do you suggest that an office near Gatwick can deter people from parking in their car park? Barriers don’t work, notices don’t work - block trespassers in with another vehicle and the police tell you move it.

All very well suggesting court action but that doesn’t help the office worker whose space is filled and so has to pay to park in a car park!

I think this principle applies just about everywhere.

I have an outstanding ticket for parking at Three Bridges station in January, where I paid for a full days parking. I am hopeful this will expire next month, but like the OP I don't think people should have to go through all this.

On the other hand if there weren't so many selfish and lazy people around, parking wouldn't need to be enforced. If parking charges create a sense of urgency around moving on as quickly as possible, it frees up the space for the next person. Who hasn't huffed and puffed waiting for a parking space?

If you agree there is a legitimate argument for parking charges, the next thing is to understand how frustrating it is, if you are paying, whilst someone else is taking the piss, which is another justification for enforcement. I suspect that serious and wilful offenders know there way around the loopholes in legislation well enough. What I don't approve of, is parking organisations looking to cream money off the vulnerable, in order to avoid tackling the serial offenders and I think this is what is really irritating so many people, me included.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Not a problem.

Firstly the doctors surgery IS to blame - they hired Parking Eye. Parking Eye are one of the biggest scammers out there when it comes to private parking. Owned by Capita.

When they managed the Aldi car park in Portslade I was verbally abused by one of their parking 'wardens' when every car he tried to take a photo of I stood in front of their number plate :lol: They now use ANPR.

If you want a rant then the CEO email for Capita is - Jonathan.Lewis@capita.com

Good luck - I've had hundreds of their tickets cancelled but the real champion is [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION].

Parking Eye are scum, scum, scum, scum, scum,scum !!!!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Barriers with fob access do work.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Barriers with fob access do work.

Not when the spaces are part of a larger car park!

Other than trying to deter trespassers with a financial penalty what can be done? To park in the public spaces costs £11 for 8 hours which has to be paid by the employee when their space has been blocked - why shouldn’t a trespasser be issued with a penalty?

One car blocked a space for 3 days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here