Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Was I the only one mildly irritated

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Boxing second biggest sport in this country behind football now isn't it

I assume your talking about tennis which isn't really that popular ..... and even less popular is womens tennis.

Right order from the BBC

You're making that up!

In terms of playing, Rugby will be well a head of boxing as it probably is with spectator numbers. Unless of course this is a whoosh moment!!!!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Where did you get your information from? May I suggest you look elsewhere.

Seeing this post made me google it to see what the actual list is.

I found it pretty amusing that the first list I find has Tennis at 8th and Boxing at 10th which seems reasonable until you see Speedway and Rounders in at 5 and 6! Not sure how you can judge sports whether it be participation or spectators

Either way, i think that Joshua losing a fight that no one thought he would, in the process losing his world championship belts is a bigger story than Konta getting the the Quarters. If AJ had won then I wouldn't be surprised if his story was second as few would care

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seeing this post made me google it to see what the actual list is.

I found it pretty amusing that the first list I find has Tennis at 8th and Boxing at 10th which seems reasonable until you see Speedway and Rounders in at 5 and 6! Not sure how you can judge sports whether it be participation or spectators

Either way, i think that Joshua losing a fight that no one thought he would, in the process losing his world championship belts is a bigger story than Konta getting the the Quarters. If AJ had won then I wouldn't be surprised if his story was second as few would care

It's difficult to judge as I googled and it came up with swimming as top followed by athletcs and cycling. football in fourth however I suspect the first three include recreational participants rather than organized competition.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
This is an outrage.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Anthony Joshua was the most searched term on Google yesterday. Over 793 million people around the world searched “Anthony Joshua”.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Wasn't Johanna Konta born in Australia? She lives in Eastbourne so she's a Sussex girl now and the best run by a British woman at the French Open since Jo Durie in 1983 is a fantastic achievement.

Anthony Joshua was beaten by a very good boxer. It wasn't a fluke watching the highlights.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Pretty much, yes, I reckon, apart from a few tennis fans (and a few Joshua haters coming out of the woodwork to claim they always thought that the previously undefeated holder of all but one of the world heavyweight title belts wasn't very good!).

I have spoken to a few friends since the fight and none of us were hugely surprised that Joshua lost. The signs have been there for some time. He has been ' wobbled ' in a number of fights against fairly mediocre opposition and was floored by an ageing Klitchko and very nearly lost. There have been doubts about his ability to take a punch for some time and Ruiz found him out. One big shot from Wilder would finish him and he would clearly be outboxed by Fury.
Its not a question of hating Joshua. Its more a case of having your worst fears realised that he hasn't got ' a chin ' He claims post fight that he got caught on the top of the head and never really recovered. Really?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Anyway....lets see if Konta gets past Sloane Stephens in the quarters before we start hailing her great success.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I have as much enthusiasm for Miss Konta as I did for Greg Rusedski.

I wish her all the best and hope she wins at Roland Garros. But she is Australian. Parents are Hungarian!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Good to see Joanna has got her mojo back after a poor run of form; however, I was more interested in the A.J. news.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
So, a 25 to 1 outsider in a two horse race winning is not a major upset? Geez! :facepalm:

While I’d hope that many punters with even a tiny fraction of TBs gambling nous would have seen value in those odds, 25-1 does not rank in the “greatest sporting upsets of all time”

Pickles

May 5, 2014
So, a 25 to 1 outsider in a two horse race winning is not a major upset? Geez! :facepalm:

GT, she wasn't 25/1 to beat Vekic, she was 11/10 at best.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Boxing died for me a long time ago as a serious sport. It's just a circus act now as far as I'm concerned. So yes I agree.

Boxing is brilliant. Full of characters, who unlike footballers, say what they think.
Also it’s unpredictable, as Saturday proved.

the ops original point is ridiculous btw.
One of the country’s biggest sport stars just got flattened in a massive upset. Big news.
I’m sure jo Konta would be embarrassed to think her getting to the fourth round of a slam would be front page news. She’s a high-end player, not number 1000 in the world.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
God I hate the close season in a non WC or Euro year. We all have to pretend to like Plip Plop and Rugger.

I wish the Aussie girl well and all that but everyone knows that it’s association Football in Winter and Cricket in the summer. End of.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Boxing is brilliant. Full of characters, who unlike footballers, say what they think.
Also it’s unpredictable, as Saturday proved.

the ops original point is ridiculous btw.
One of the country’s biggest sport stars just got flattened in a massive upset. Big news.
I’m sure jo Konta would be embarrassed to think her getting to the fourth round of a slam would be front page news. She’s a high-end player, not number 1000 in the world.

“Ridiculous” you say. Hmmmm

I wonder if I had made the original post on a different forum which wasn’t chock full of male football fans whether that comment would hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
“Ridiculous” you say. Hmmmm

I wonder if I had made the original post on a different forum which wasn’t chock full of male football fans whether that comment would hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not realky . I would have said the same if it was Kyle Edmund. Tbh, I didn't realise your post was making a point about male/ female sport . And for the record I've been a konta fan since I saw her in a challenger event in Sussex years ago

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here