Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Austria pre-season friendly v FC Liefering - Sat. 13th July

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We actually tried to win games in the first half, not always pretty, granted, but the second half was plain for anyone that has any footballing nuance about them to see that we were scared, rabbits in headlights, bus parking and making sure we didn't lose. Did you miss that bit?

I think you missed the style change, which started the rot.

Momentum is so important at this level, and the things that worked were changed. When we went back to them in April, we started picking up points.

Edit - I would also throw in the absence of Gross made such an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We actually tried to win games in the first half, not always pretty, granted, but the second half was plain for anyone that has any footballing nuance about them to see that we were scared, rabbits in headlights, bus parking and making sure we didn't lose. Did you miss that bit?

I think you missed the style change, which started the rot.

Momentum is so important at this level, and the things that worked were changed. When we went back to them in April, we started picking up points.

Am I wasting valuable typing time?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we’re rock bottom at Christmas and losing entertaining games, do you think Bloom will act?

What in a panto?
I didn't think he was one for threading the boards.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The bus parking was dire as well......it was just necessary (shouldn’t have been though)

Couldn’t agree more.
Shouldn’t have thrown away leads at West Ham and Fulham.....

Just the Stains, Bournemouth and Cardiff games so poor, even Huddersfield we crept over.....

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
No the defensive tactics that were criticised, apparently worked for the first part of the season.

It just feels because we were so poor during February and March, a lot of supporters are writing the first part off IMO.

We were poor a lot more than February and March. We may have put three wins together but we really were quite poor.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We were poor a lot more than February and March. We may have put three wins together but we really were quite poor.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

All opinions - I don’t agree [emoji2]

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We got lucky, we still relied on Cardiff not beating Fulham or Palace at home.

Nonsense - we were unlucky in a number of games, and it is all if’s and but’s.

You finish where you finish.....

Sorry, to be rude, but I’m really not getting back into this discussion again. [emoji2]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We got lucky, we still relied on Cardiff not beating Fulham or Palace at home.

I'm fed up with this 'we got lucky' stuff. If you want to take it to extremes, we got lucky when Willie Mackay shoved Emilio Salah on to a dodgy plane with a not properly licensed pilot and launched him into the night sky - if he'd scored four or five goals for Cardiff that could have meant us, and not them, heading for the Championship (in which case, would Hughton have kept his job as the best man to get a team up from the Championship?)

Fact is, we scraped home through our own efforts in getting enough points.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I think the problem is some people view survival as the be all and end all where as others want to enjoy watching football and are prepared for defeats provided we give it a go. Judging by some posts, it's like it has to be one or the other, ie you play boring and get a point or you attack and you lose. You can attack and win games just as you can be boring and get a lucky goal and win.

At the end of the day you aren't going to change anyone's mindset as to what they prioritise.

I think if you play in a defensive style and win or draw you can get away with pretty dire football , but if you start losing like we did after the New Year then the writing is on the wall

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm fed up with this 'we got lucky' stuff. If you want to take it to extremes, we got lucky when Willie Mackay shoved Emilio Salah on to a dodgy plane with a not properly licensed pilot and launched him into the night sky - if he'd scored four or five goals for Cardiff that could have meant us, and not them, heading for the Championship (in which case, would Hughton have kept his job as the best man to get a team up from the Championship?)

:facepalm:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Bloody Hell.

Early contender for worst post of the year and the season hasn't even started.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

Oh dear oh dear, somebody up past their bedtime again?
Get a grip.
We did get lucky, we were awful last season and LUCKILY, we survived.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here