Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Smartphone calendars

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The wife and I have gone in different directions, one of us has an iPhone and the other an android. I'm looking for some good recommendations of a calendar app that will allow us to share diaries. Suggestions appreciated, as well as those to avoid

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A shared Google calendar will do the job. When you add an entry decide if it’s something that needs to be shared, in which case add it to your shared calendar, if not add it to your own.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The iPhone is quite old so only has iOS 9 and cannot be updated. Google calendar won't install

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
The iPhone is quite old so only has iOS 9 and cannot be updated. Google calendar won't install

Do you both have gmail email accounts? If not get them and in the iPhone just turn on calendars in the account set up bit. You don’t have to have the gmail email syncing if you don’t want to.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
I've pretty much taken the approach suggested by a couple of people above. My wife and I each have our own gmail accounts for our main Android login, and another account that we share but don't use for email. With two gmail accounts added to the phone, apps such as Contacts and Calendar allow you to select which of your accounts to include, so we make sure both are selected. As you add new entries, you're then able to say which account they go to: personal or shared. I have Albion fixtures in my personal calendar, and things like holidays, birthdays and family visits in the shared one.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
With Google calendar you don't even need to create a shared calendar.
Wife has a calendar and I have one. We are set up to show all of each other's calendar entries in our individual calendar. Conveniently they show in different colours.
For some reason it took me ages to get this working properly but once set up it has been completely smooth.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've pretty much taken the approach suggested by a couple of people above. My wife and I each have our own gmail accounts for our main Android login, and another account that we share but don't use for email. With two gmail accounts added to the phone, apps such as Contacts and Calendar allow you to select which of your accounts to include, so we make sure both are selected. As you add new entries, you're then able to say which account they go to: personal or shared. I have Albion fixtures in my personal calendar, and things like holidays, birthdays and family visits in the shared one.

Schoolboy error. I can see this kind of situation arising:

Wife 'As we aren't doing anything next Saturday, I booked a weekend away in Edinburgh for that shopping trip you promised me....'

You: 'Er, but Albion are playing Liverpool in the final game of the season which decides whether we qualify for Europe and whether they win the league....'

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Schoolboy error. I can see this kind of situation arising:

Wife 'As we aren't doing anything next Saturday, I booked a weekend away in Edinburgh for that shopping trip you promised me....'

You: 'Er, but Albion are playing Liverpool in the final game of the season which decides whether we qualify for Europe and whether they win the league....'

To be fair, it's mainly to share contacts that I do this. As regards calendars, the ones on our phones tend to act as reminders, whereas the planning is done through a paper calendar on the wall (yes, some of us still use these) which of course includes all the football dates. Furthermore, we tend to discuss our holidays before one of us books anything.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Another vote here for Google Calender.
I've got my shift on it, where I can see what I'm working infinitely, plus I dont forget anyones birthday etc......
Most important of all, Albions fixture list gets added automatically:D

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I have managed to get the iPhone to auto update any entries made on the android but cannot get the iPhone entries to go the other way...any suggestions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here