Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] No social media profiles, no US Visa...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
First finger prints and eye scans

Now, nearly all applicants for US visas will have to submit their social media details under newly adopted rules.

The State Department regulations say people will have to submit social media names and five years' worth of email addresses and phone numbers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48486672

Proper authoritarian stuff.

Do you have to share NSC user name as well?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I don't think it would apply to UK citizens anyway as we don't (currently) need a visa to go there, thanks to the Visa Waiver Program and ESTA.

Ultimately though, their country, their rules.

Jul 7, 2003
Fairly sure this was a non-mandatory field when I applied for my last ESTA

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Whilst not completely clear from the article, I read this as those applying for work, educational and residency visas, not those applying for holiday visas

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Now, nearly all applicants for US visas will have to submit their social media details under newly adopted rules.

The State Department regulations say people will have to submit social media names and five years' worth of email addresses and phone numbers.

Good job we don’t need a visa to go to the US then.......5 minute online ESTA application (and no social media requirement) and job done unless you’re a scallywag.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Thank you for your order.

You have ordered: double pepperoni with extra pepperoni.

All transactions require confirmation. Please insert your DIGITAL SOUL now.

Please note that this order is not available to certain CATEGORIES of citizens. Please refer to WRONG'UNS.GOV to view the current accepted categories of citizen.

Sorry, no valid soul has been detected, failure to confirm this transaction may result in the submission of a SEARCH QUERY.

Please not that if you are the subject of a search query you may be traced and identified through the government's new innovative FACIAL-RECOGNITION system, situated in all public and commercial buildings.

Because we value your safety.

Have a nice day.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

There country they decide , I don’t have a problem with it. As for visas, as Frutos said UK residents don’t need a visa for 90 day travel.

Can I ask when you’re next heading there?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
You can tell more from somebody’s social media than any filled out forms.

Saying that, they’re never having a nose through everyone’s instagram who applies to go there.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don't think it would apply to UK citizens anyway as we don't (currently) need a visa to go there, thanks to the Visa Waiver Program and ESTA.

My last application for ESTA there was a question about social media accounts but it was labelled "optional", my understanding is travellers will now be required to hand over this info.

The Economist Intelligence Unit now classifies the US was a "flawed democracy", with intrusion such as this I can understand why. Its no secret Trump is trying to follow the Orbán or Erdoğan model

No plans to travel the US apart from for business, and apart from NSC I have no social media presence

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Only applies to Mexicans.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Are you sure? What is that thing you have to fill out before you get off a plane in the US then? Isn't that some sort of visa? Honestly, not sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here