Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Is Anthony Joshua going down to the fat man?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Delighted with that result, although I’d have loved it more if Fury beat him. Hearn’s over hyped puppet has come unstuck due to having no stamina. His physique is too muscle bound to be a 12 round fighter.

All down to Fury & Wilder now next year for the big prize.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Got reckless trying to finish Ruiz and got tagged around the top of the head, never really recovered from it. I think he will learn a lot from that and come back stronger.

Never understand all the haters in British sport, rather than get behind a guy who's won a Olympic Gold medal for his country and become unified heavyweight champion seems like some people on here couldn't wait to see him lose.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Got reckless trying to finish Ruiz and got tagged around the top of the head, never really recovered from it. I think he will learn a lot from that and come back stronger.

Never understand all the haters in British sport, rather than get behind a guy who's won a Olympic Gold medal for his country and become unified heavyweight champion seems like some people on here couldn't wait to see him lose.

In the words of Alexandra O'Neil he's nothing but a fake. Media trained to say the right things so not to damage 'brand' Joshua.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
In the words of Alexandra O'Neil he's nothing but a fake. Media trained to say the right things so not to damage 'brand' Joshua.

Always something wrong with our best sportsmen isn't there? Either they are too media trained or always running off at the mouth to much!

Rather than focusing on our sports peoples frailties it would be nice if we got behind them like other countries do and celebrate their achievements.

After all do we really expect our boxers to be perfect human beings as well as good boxers?!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Always something wrong with our best sportsmen isn't there? Either they are too media trained or always running off at the mouth to much!

Rather than focusing on our sports peoples frailties it would be nice if we got behind them like other countries do and celebrate their achievements.

After all do we really expect our boxers to be perfect human beings as well as good boxers?!

I’m fully behind Tyson Fury and most other British fighters. I just can’t stand Joshua & Hearn.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

There's nothing 'wrong' with Joshua. I think some people are just pointing out that his career has been carefully constructed to make his record appear better than it was, just to extract as much money as possible. The only boxer of note who Joshua has beaten was Klitschko who was in his early 40s. Why has he constantly avoided the likes of Fury and Wilder?

It was supposed to be another routine win tonight- Hearn will be concerned that his cash cow will run out of milk.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
There's nothing 'wrong' with Joshua. I think some people are just pointing out that his career has been carefully constructed to make his record appear better than it was, just to extract as much money as possible. The only boxer of note who Joshua has beaten was Klitschko who was in his early 40s. Why has he constantly avoided the likes of Fury and Wilder?.

Surely every boxers career should be constructed to make as much Money as possible?! This is a classic example of what I am talking about, we create massively unrealistic expectations of our sportsmen and what they do in and out of the sporting arena.

Wilder is the most protected fighter in heavyweight boxing history, he has a 42 fight record which consists of fighting mostly nobody's and gained massive plaudits from fighting Ortiz who is also in his 40s and who is now rematching! He only faced Fury because he believed that with 2 years out of the ring and a poor comeback fight that he was passed his best and as it was he should have lost.

If Joshua had this record he would be absolutely slaughtered in the UK. People have been constantly on his back since he won olympic gold, criticising all the opponents that he has had rather than celebrating his achievements as a unified heavyweight champion as a relative novice.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I like Joshua as a person but when you're in the boxing arena you need total focus and a ruthless streak, AJ probably got lazy and started to believe all the media hype.

It's not about physique but heart, if your heart's not in it then you've no chance. Ruiz wasn't a lucky 'chancer' but a powerful mass of will, determination and raw power.

Only one thing for AJ now, get back to basics and be true to yourself, forget the media stuff and go out and find that raw boxer in you or it'll be curtains for your boxing career.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Delighted with that result, although I’d have loved it more if Fury beat him. Hearn’s over hyped puppet has come unstuck due to having no stamina. His physique is too muscle bound to be a 12 round fighter.

All down to Fury & Wilder now next year for the big prize.

Absolutely this. Just watched the highlights and he was blowing out his arse as soon as he got knocked down. I'd also question his desire to dig deep for a win, he just looked like he didn't want to carry on when the ref stopped it.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I like Joshua as a person but when you're in the boxing arena you need total focus and a ruthless streak, AJ probably got lazy and started to believe all the media hype.

It's not about physique but heart, if your heart's not in it then you've no chance. Ruiz wasn't a lucky 'chancer' but a powerful mass of will, determination and raw power.

Only one thing for AJ now, get back to basics and be true to yourself, forget the media stuff and go out and find that raw boxer in you or it'll be curtains for your boxing career.

I think that’s the crux of it. He overlooked Ruiz and it has cost him. The whole build up to last night for AJ has been focused on Wilder. He should have concentrated on Ruiz and then worried about the next fight.

I expect AJ to win the rematch. Those saying he has faced no one of note apart from Klit clearly don’t know much about boxing - Whyte, Povetkin and Parker are all decent opponents. He’s moved up in levels quickly and faced more credible opponents a lot sooner in his career than Fury and Wilder. Until Wilder fought Stiverne he literally fought 31 bums and Audrey Harrison. I understand the distaste for Hearn and the brand etc - but I’m not sure what people are expecting of AJ? He’s a working class kid and has taken his opportunity and you cannot begrudge him that. He’s worked hard and earned his fame - unlike so many of these talentless reality pond life types.

A quick look on Twitter this morning gives you a measure of the type of bloke Wilder is with his comments about Joshua’s loss. I expected Fury to put something similar but he’s actually shown a lot more class and showed support for AJ.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I think that’s the crux of it. He overlooked Ruiz and it has cost him. The whole build up to last night for AJ has been focused on Wilder. He should have concentrated on Ruiz and then worried about the next fight.

I expect AJ to win the rematch. Those saying he has faced no one of note apart from Klit clearly don’t know much about boxing - Whyte, Povetkin and Parker are all decent opponents. He’s moved up in levels quickly and faced more credible opponents a lot sooner in his career than Fury and Wilder. Until Wilder fought Stiverne he literally fought 31 bums and Audrey Harrison. I understand the distaste for Hearn and the brand etc - but I’m not sure what people are expecting of AJ? He’s a working class kid and has taken his opportunity and you cannot begrudge him that. He’s worked hard and earned his fame - unlike so many of these talentless reality pond life types.

A quick look on Twitter this morning gives you a measure of the type of bloke Wilder is with his comments about Joshua’s loss. I expected Fury to put something similar but he’s actually shown a lot more class and showed support for AJ.

Parker never the opportunity to box AJ as the ref didn't allow it.

D

Deleted member 18477

Absolutely this. Just watched the highlights and he was blowing out his arse as soon as he got knocked down. I'd also question his desire to dig deep for a win, he just looked like he didn't want to carry on when the ref stopped it.

He couldn’t carry on. There is absolutely no way he didn’t want to.

1 punch flush to the jaw/head knocks most people down and most people will also be blowing out of their backsides.

Boxing is cruel and AJ will either learn or become a bum because he actually isn’t good enough, we don’t know yet, all depends what happens in rematch.

Smart move by Eddie Hearn to sign Parker.. the only man to have beaten Ruiz... AJ vs Parker was a lot closer than the scorecards would say and Parker was stopped by the ref from actually fighting AJ properly.

What this result does do though is open the door for Dillian Whyte, as he has a chin and a half and has improved massively since AJ beat him.

The result is the best thing that could have happened to the heavyweight division as every promoter now will respect the sport of boxing again more than their wallet. Wilder needs to be careful as Ortiz should have beaten him the first time around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
It's pretty funny listening to all the analysis from casuals.

He got out boxed and out countered. Ruiz is a worthh winner.

AJ didn't win medals in the Olympics for his power. Will be a good rematch, AJ underestimated him, big.time

Jul 7, 2003

I’m not a fan of Fury but was impressed by the class showed in his tweet after the fight. It’s easy enough to kick a man when he is down but that showed a new maturity around Fury I hadn’t seen before.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Joshua got exposed totally tonight, not even a poor mans Frank Bruno. He knocked over a load of bums and has beens, wouldn't go near Klitschko till Fury had softened him up and even then Klit nearly beat him, Povetkin was an elderly punch bag and got totally beaten up by Ruiz who is a poor imitation of Butterbean. Wasn't even a freak KO like Lewis got done by , it was a beating up by someone Fury wouldn't even get touched by.

Back to York Hall for Joshua and leave the big fights to Fury from now on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
e2fa90bc807f2e5724db03e30c2ae5af.jpg

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Joshua will still prove to be the best of the lot, if he wants it enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here