Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Is Anthony Joshua going down to the fat man?

D

Deleted member 18477

It's pretty funny listening to all the analysis from casuals.

He got out boxed and out countered. Ruiz is a worthh winner.

AJ didn't win medals in the Olympics for his power. Will be a good rematch, AJ underestimated him, big.time

I agree he underestimated him big time! At least he take’s some risks though and was a worthy champion. Whilst i’m a big Fury fan, one thing even casuals know though is AJ hasn’t ducked anyone... the undefeated Miller can’t fight so he fights another dangerous opponent in Ruiz who only lost to Parker - a former world champ himself.

Breazeale was already softened up for Wilder by... AJ.

We all know Fury is the best boxer but I have massive respect for Parker, AJ, Whyte and now Ruiz. Wilder will forever be a bum until he fights Fury again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
e2fa90bc807f2e5724db03e30c2ae5af.jpg

Nothing new here - it was a body shape favoured by several American heavies back in the 80s. Vaguely remember Tim Witherspoon as one such (and he beat the much more athletic looking Frank Bruno).

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Joshua has no chin, Ruiz is a decent fighter but not a real banger. Let's put it this way Wilder and Fury will be queueing up to take those belts now.

He’s knocked 22 out so must have
a reasonable dig
AJ not much of biscuit as Klichko proved
Always going to happen to him
It will make him better I’m sure

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Joshua got exposed totally tonight, not even a poor mans Frank Bruno. He knocked over a load of bums and has beens, wouldn't go near Klitschko till Fury had softened him up and even then Klit nearly beat him, Povetkin was an elderly punch bag and got totally beaten up by Ruiz who is a poor imitation of Butterbean. Wasn't even a freak KO like Lewis got done by , it was a beating up by someone Fury wouldn't even get touched by.

Back to York Hall for Joshua and leave the big fights to Fury from now on.

Spot on.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Blimey. Didn't see such a comprehensive loss coming.

It reminded me a bit of Lewis v Rahman. Joshua looked off from the first bell, didn't look like he had much of a game plan at any stage of the fight(at least not that I could discern). About the only thing he did well all night was take the defeat with grace. He's a classy guy even when he gets shown up for massively underestimating his opponent.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Surely every boxers career should be constructed to make as much Money as possible?! This is a classic example of what I am talking about, we create massively unrealistic expectations of our sportsmen and what they do in and out of the sporting arena.

Wilder is the most protected fighter in heavyweight boxing history, he has a 42 fight record which consists of fighting mostly nobody's and gained massive plaudits from fighting Ortiz who is also in his 40s and who is now rematching! He only faced Fury because he believed that with 2 years out of the ring and a poor comeback fight that he was passed his best and as it was he should have lost.

If Joshua had this record he would be absolutely slaughtered in the UK. People have been constantly on his back since he won olympic gold, criticising all the opponents that he has had rather than celebrating his achievements as a unified heavyweight champion as a relative novice.

I don't create massively unrealistic expectations- I understand that in the early stages of a boxing career you have to fight bums to get to a better level. But when you get world championship belts you should be looking to fight the best to prove yourself soon after. Whether you think that Wilder is any good or not he and Fury are clearly the front running opponents for a massive fight.

I just respect Tyson Fury much more as a boxer than Joshua as he came out and fought Wilder after such a long layoff. I don't hate Joshua whatsoever, he has been advised well in terms of the financial side of things - fair play to him.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Got reckless trying to finish Ruiz and got tagged around the top of the head, never really recovered from it. I think he will learn a lot from that and come back stronger.

Never understand all the haters in British sport, rather than get behind a guy who's won a Olympic Gold medal for his country and become unified heavyweight champion seems like some people on here couldn't wait to see him lose.

I am so happy AJ finally got exposed. Such an overrated fighter and guided by the absolute tool Eddie Hearn. Eddie looked like the fat kid who dropped his ice cream at the end. Well done Ruiz but gutted it wasn’t Fury.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I am one of those casuals you're all angry about, got drawn to the sport by GGG and AJ.

The obsession with the undefeated streak is ruining what I see of the sport, in 12 months time we could have AJ back as champ and both Wilder and Fury with an L, at bare minimum one of them will have. Then what? According to this forum, twitter, legit analysts who get paid for their opinions, it would just be two cans fighting each other because they have a loss on their record. Personally if AJ and Wilder or AJ and Fury were to fight in 2020 I'd be hyped as shit, it doesn't seem to be the case now though, simply because someone lost. Heavyweight boxing attracted me because it's so wheels off in that one punch can change a match and the landscape, that happened last night and my favourite boxer got convincingly beaten. But man the way we were all hyped for the mega fights and now everyone is shitting on them is depressing for me. The sooner boxing gets rid of this undefeated fetish the better, I'm hoping that happens when one of Wilder or Fury lose to the other but as of right now, with GGG and AJ I don't think it will, I worry it just discounts another top HW.

As for AJ his career hangs on the rematch, not because he lost his undefeated streak but because mentally he looked totally out of it, I dunno if its the pressure of the streak, the pressure of big matches, the current training regime he's on or what, but something clearly wasn't right out there last night and it's up to him to work it out and decide if he wants to carry on mentally. If AJ says the rematch is on in December, I'm already excited as hell. If Fury or Wilder lose in the mean time, I'll still be excited as hell if they announce any AJ/Fury/Wilder fight regardless of losses, even if I am in the minority.

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
Looked like he bulked too much for this fight, possibly because he was preparing for miller, but he looked way too heavy with his feet. One of his main attributes is his ability to move quickly, especially as a heavyweight, when you gain weight it makes that less difficult and it showed in this fight.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Joshua hasn't got a chance against Fury and Wilder.

If Wilder lands once on Joshua it's game over. Fury won't get touched by Joshua. He'll school him into exhaustion with all the missed punches.

Joshua has so many weaknesses and we saw a fair few of them exposed last night. His head movement is non-existent, his chin is extremely glassy and his heart and desire to dig deep when he's hurt doesn't look like it'll get him out of trouble in the future. He's a massive hype job who's had the public tricked with his embarrassing 'James Bond' persona. It was funny how after the fight he was still holding that goofy smile and walking and talking as if he was still the star of the night but yet got heavily booed by the crowd once he was on the micro-phone. It was clear Eddie told him "stay in the ring and show everyone what a great bloke you are. That's what's important about you, not just the boxing. Oh and don't forget your one liner 'stay humble'" Joshua just looked like a massive prat after the fight still trying to win over the public. Why the hell didn't he look gutted and annoyed with himself? Why didn't he just get out of the ring instead of prancing about as if he gave the crowd what they were expecting? He looked like a true loser after that fight.

I found it refreshing that he got battered all over the ring last night by a 16/1 underdog. I remember hearing interviews with Joshua talking about his desire to become a billionaire through the sport of boxing. That's exactly the attitude I can't stand in any sport, the desire for money instead of success and development. He's just a massive cash cow for Eddie Hearn and Matchroom. Eddie just wanted to see how much money he could con the public through all these has been's and bum fights Joshua has been challenged with. He knew he had no chance against the elites hence why he ducked Wilder regardless of the massive money involved.
I honestly believe Whyte and Parker would have a good chance of beating Joshua if they were given the chance of a rematch. Parker lost because the ref wouldn't let him trade and Whyte lost because he was very inexperienced and unfit when they last fought.

This is the end for Joshua. The rematch for his belts back will have the same outcome. He'll get outboxed and look clueless against the faster hands. The counter punches were destroying Joshua last night, how will he nullify them in the rematch being so stiff and predictable? He won't.

Last edited:

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Joshua's father had to be dragged off Eddie at the end, not a happy camp there anymore. The bubble well and truly burst now for Matchroom

Someone mentioned he was complaining about the ref stopping the fight? I saw the discussion but have no idea of what was said.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Joshua hasn't got a chance against Fury and Wilder.

If Wilder lands once on Joshua it's game over. Fury won't get touched by Joshua. He'll school him into exhaustion with all the missed punches.

Joshua has so many weaknesses and we saw a fair few of them exposed last night. His head movement is non-existent, his chin is extremely glassy and his heart and desire to dig deep when he's hurt doesn't look like it'll get him out of trouble in the future. He's a massive hype job who's had the public tricked with his embarrassing 'James Bond' persona. It was funny how after the fight he was still holding that goofy smile and walking and talking as if he was still the star of the night but yet got heavily booed by the crowd once he was on the micro-phone. It was clear Eddie told him "stay in the ring and show everyone what a great bloke you are. That's what's important about you, not just the boxing. Oh and don't forget your one liner 'stay humble'" Joshua just looked like a massive prat after the fight still trying to win over the public. Why the hell didn't he look gutted and annoyed with himself? Why didn't he just get out of the ring instead of prancing about as if he gave the crowd what they were expecting? He looked like a true loser after that fight.

I found it refreshing that he got battered all over the ring last night by a 16/1 underdog. I remember hearing interviews with Joshua talking about his desire to become a billionaire through the sport of boxing. That's exactly the attitude I can't stand in any sport, the desire for money instead of success and development. He's just a massive cash cow for Eddie Hearn and Matchroom. Eddie just wanted to see how much money he could con the public through all these has been's and bum fights Joshua has been challenged with. He knew he had no chance against the elites hence why he ducked Wilder regardless of the massive money involved.
I honestly believe Whyte and Parker would have a good chance of beating Joshua if they were given the chance of a rematch. Parker lost because the ref wouldn't let him trade and Whyte lost because he was very inexperienced and unfit when they last fought.

This is the end for Joshua. The rematch for his belts back will have the same outcome. He'll get outboxed and look clueless against the faster hands. The counter punches were destroying Joshua last night, how will he nullify them in the rematch being so stiff and predictable? He won't.

Well put. I think he’s finished and can’t see him coming back strong. I think they will mess EH around with the rematch as well. Ruiz should fight bums for next two years like AJ has done.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Freak fight. He was clearly (to me) concussed after the third. asked at least 2 or 3 times "how did he hit me?" during rounds. he had no idea where he was and was motionless after the third. i've been concussed and it felt like that

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Freak fight. He was clearly (to me) concussed after the third. asked at least 2 or 3 times "how did he hit me?" during rounds. he had no idea where he was and was motionless after the third. i've been concussed and it felt like that

It's the punches you don't see which hurt the most. Concussed or not he didn't see the punches coming, thats why he was asking what hit him. He just couldn't cope with the fast hands

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
AJ finally got exposed to a b division fat stand in. This was no lucky punch win Ruiz took his soul in there and comprehensively beat him into submission. I am struggling to see how AJ has any chance in a rematch. Beyond all though I'm finally glad that this has highlighted the absolutely LEVELS that Tyson fury is above the body builder.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here