Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Supporting the wrong team.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So I'm sat in row P of the East Upper, which is six rows closer than my normal seat, watching England take on New Zealand. Now I'll be honest, I've no idea of any of the players. So the pre match warm up and the teams are announced, still no ideas. Kick about over and the big flags are draped over the pitch. And here come the players. One team in White and one in Claret. One thing I do know about England is that they play in White!
For seven full minutes I supported the team in white and the more I think about it the more I'm convinced most of the crowd around me had no idea either and sat on the fence a bit.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
So I'm sat in row P of the East Upper, which is six rows closer than my normal seat, watching England take on New Zealand. Now I'll be honest, I've no idea of any of the players. So the pre match warm up and the teams are announced, still no ideas. Kick about over and the big flags are draped over the pitch. And here come the players. One team in White and one in Claret. One thing I do know about England is that they play in White!
For seven full minutes I supported the team in white and the more I think about it the more I'm convinced most of the crowd around me had no idea either and sat on the fence a bit.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one!!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
One of the few things I know about New Zealand is that their football team are nicknamed the All-Whites.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I supported the All Whites for the 90 minutes

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

:lolol:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Was at a wedding in Manchester on a Friday, late 90's. Following day managed to convince my wife to spend a day in Chester with our new born daughter. As it turned out, BHA were playing there as well ;)
Being a last minute negotiation with my wife, we were late. I dropped my wife and newborn at hotel, and rushed to the Deva. Knocked on doors to get in as match was about 20mins in, handed over fiver to steward to let me in, walked around corner, and as I turned corner,team in blue and white stripes score. Jumping up and down, quite happy until I realise no one else is. Turns out Chester play in blue and white stripes...........

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Once upon a time England teams wore home kits when playing at home (World Cup finals excepted) and once upon a time all teams wore their home shirts for away matches unless there was a clash of colours. The world’s gone mad.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Did you not notice the 3 lions badge on the shirts and shorts of the England players?

No. Took our seats 35 minutes before KO and just presumed the team in white warming up on pitch were England. It's not as though a player had Kane, Dier or any other name I recognised. Heck, it was 22 women with ponytails.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Why did you start the post with "So"?

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010

I watched some highlights on TV and thought
Exactly the same
Thought New Zealand would play in black but that
creates a problem with the officials

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Their basketball team is called the... wait for it... Tall Blacks.

Their ski-jumping team are the oxymoronic Flying Kiwis.

The West Indian swimming team are the Wet WIpes.

Whereas the Queensland snooker team are known as the Cueing Q’s.

Apparently, Putin promoted calling the national female beach volleyball team the Russian Dolls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here