Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Royal Navy Field Gun Competition

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Today at HMS Collingwood Fareham open day, good day out if anyone fancies a trip West today, I represented HMS Dryad in 93 down there and whilst not quite the real thing it was tough never the less and the team spirit was superb.

Get down there if you can

Last edited:

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
It is proper though,my Dad took part in it back in the late 1960's representing the fleet Air Arm between commissions on H.M.S. Ark Royal,I was very young but seem to remember it being part of "Navy Day" down in Portsmouth.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Every year my mother used to take me up to Earls Court to watch the Royal Tournament - this was always a particular highlight.

One could never fail to be impressed by the strength and teamwork on display.

Men and women of the armed forces, thank you for your service.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Every year my mother used to take me up to Earls Court to watch the Royal Tournament - this was always a particular highlight.

One could never fail to be impressed by the strength and teamwork on display.

Men and women of the armed forces, thank you for your service.

This.
Same here with my father, who used to take me every year, when I was a yoof.
Especially the music.
One time they had a Harrier in the arena, great stuff :)

Navy Days were also in attendance.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I definitely recommend this. I’ve been the last few years and it is a really good, family day out overall. The field gun is something special to see.

In the same neck of the woods, HMS Sultan in Gosport have their summer show on the weekend of the 15th/16th June which is a great day out. All of my family from 3 up to 70 love it.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Remember watching the Field Gun Crew train at Excellent back in mid 70's when I was on draft there.
Never seen so many broken arms, legs and various other bones on blokes as they all tried to impress to get into the team.
It's very watered down and H&S conscious now sadly and not a jot on the Earl's court days

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I used to love the Royal Tournament.

Locally in the Pompey are there was the Brickwoods trophy. I went to the Collingwood open day a couple of years ago. I tried my hand at morse again after many years in the radio shack.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Remember watching the Field Gun Crew train at Excellent back in mid 70's when I was on draft there.
Never seen so many broken arms, legs and various other bones on blokes as they all tried to impress to get into the team.
It's very watered down and H&S conscious now sadly and not a jot on the Earl's court days

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Same when I was in basic training at Daedalus, training section was full of guys who’d broken bones etc and needed somewhere to recuperate.
As I understand it this is basically the old Brickwoods competition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Same when I was in basic training at Daedalus, training section was full of guys who’d broken bones etc and needed somewhere to recuperate.
As I understand it this is basically the old Brickwoods competition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct, the Royal Tournament full version was competed between Commands such as Devonport, Portsmouth FAA etc where as this and the Brickwoods Trophy is/was a competition by individual shore establishment’s and ships/boats.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here