Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 75th Anniversary of D-Day

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It'll be hard not to notice this in the next week as the quiet, dignified and self effacing well known war hero (or rather draft dodger) Donald pops over the pond to help us commemorate the occasion.

Of course the generation that went through the war is now almost gone. The baby boomers they left behind - whose greatest peril, if I am representative, would have been to fall off their platform heels - had it easy, largely thanks to the sacrifices of those who went before.

But you do wonder what the generation who suffered stoically would make of the lot that came after us. Those who lived through the rationing and privations of the war years, whose loved ones 'didn't come back' from the war and often those who did who simply wouldn't talk about it, might watch askance at the traumas of, say, Love Island where intensive counselling follows being giving the elbow by a perma-tanned body builder from Burnley.

I suppose that's progress.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
He won’t turn up if it’s raining like at the 100 1WW commemoration at Aisne-Marne American Cemetery in France last November.

Happy Memorial Day Donald. Hope John McCain’s family don’t ruin the day for him.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He won’t turn up if it’s raining like at the 100 1WW commemoration at Aisne-Marne American Cemetery in France last November.

That was fair enough though - don’t you think that orange face and hair coloring would run in the wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Think we have to get used to the fact more and more people won’t have heard of let alone know something about DDay with the passage of time. It’s less relevant, not only are that generation largely gone but so is the one that followed and impressed it upon their kids generation like me who also had a diet of old war movies, airfix models etc to accompany as well as listening to first hand accounts about what Grandpa did during the war. We may feel strongly about for these reasons but millions won’t; furthermore, many people’s heritage here isn’t British so that may also influence. And besides, how do you afford the time to learn about with Love Island, Britain’s run out of Talent etc on the box? There’s hardly time to take a selfie every 15mins never mind read a history book.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
https://www.visitportsmouth.co.uk/d-day-75

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2019/april/23/190422-d-day-veterans

https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/d-day-70

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...-route-map-uk-d-day-planes-flights-d-day-date
Screenshot_20190601-090307_Chrome.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The south coast's 'Home Guard' fighting PTSD in Normandy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...-coast-s-home-guard-fighting-ptsd-in-normandy

A group of friends dressed as the Home Guard are cycling to the D-Day commemorations in Normandy to raise money for a post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) charity.

The 25 members of the Pink Pub riders lost their friend Danny Johnson to PTSD after he took his life a year ago. He was a special services soldier.

His colleagues set up the All Call Signs community that sends out "beacons" to alert people that vulnerable servicemen and women have gone missing and need help.

The riders have raised £100,000 so far for the charity

Absolute class :bowdown:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The Veterans Charity are running from Tarrant Rushden ( where the airborne troops took off for Pegasus Bridge) and are running to Portsmouth then on the ferry and then running to Pegasus Bridge and get there exactly the same time the first Glider landed.
I was going to do it myself but I've got my spitfire flight booked in this momentus day

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
'Rehearsing' over Seaford yesterday for a good 40 mins, very low and very noisy. Pix from a light aircraft accompanying them

A bit tingly thinking about the actual events

DDay.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm just on the ferry about to leave Dunkirk having just done Sword and Omaha beaches.

For anyone coming, over Sword Beach for the UK has very little commemorating D Day but Omaha Beach for the Yanks has a lot more. If you want a UK D Day experience then nearby Pegasus Bridge and Museum is a must.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm just on the ferry about to leave Dunkirk having just done Sword and Omaha beaches.

For anyone coming, over Sword Beach for the UK has very little commemorating D Day but Omaha Beach for the Yanks has a lot more. If you want a UK D Day experience then nearby Pegasus Bridge and Museum is a must.

Could you have stayed for the main celebrations next week at Oustreham.
Will be quite the hairs on the back of the neck moment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Could you have stayed for the main celebrations next week at Oustreham.
Will be quite the hairs on the back of the neck moment.

No, just half term week with the family. It was moving to be standing at the water's edge on Omaha Beach imagining jumping out of the landing craft straight into the German machine gun fire. The sand is littered with roses at Dog Green sector.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
As I just mentioned over on the Guy Martin thread, I will be watching everything I possibly can this week to commemorate these heroes - & its they who should be getting ALL the media attention this week for what they did for the WORLD in 1939 - 45...not Love Island, Trump balloon demos, "celeb" falls etc.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It'll be hard not to notice this in the next week as the quiet, dignified and self effacing well known war hero (or rather draft dodger) Donald pops over the pond to help us commemorate the occasion.

Of course the generation that went through the war is now almost gone. The baby boomers they left behind - whose greatest peril, if I am representative, would have been to fall off their platform heels - had it easy, largely thanks to the sacrifices of those who went before.

But you do wonder what the generation who suffered stoically would make of the lot that came after us. Those who lived through the rationing and privations of the war years, whose loved ones 'didn't come back' from the war and often those who did who simply wouldn't talk about it, might watch askance at the traumas of, say, Love Island where intensive counselling follows being giving the elbow by a perma-tanned body builder from Burnley.

I suppose that's progress.

???Quite why people feel the need to politicise the anniversary of so many brave people being killed to free Europe from German tyranny is frankly beyond me.At least try to keep a dignified silence.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
???Quite why people feel the need to politicise the anniversary of so many brave people being killed to free Europe from German tyranny is frankly beyond me.At least try to keep a dignified silence.

This doesn't make sense because a) Garry Nelson's Teacher wasn't trying to score any political points, and b) I can't think of anything representing the failure of politics more than the second world war where the ideologies of facism, communism and liberal democracy slugged it out.

I will make a political point though: the EU has been largely responsible for 75 years of peace in Europe.

Diablo

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
This doesn't make sense because a) Garry Nelson's Teacher wasn't trying to score any political points, and b) I can't think of anything representing the failure of politics more than the second world war where the ideologies of facism, communism and liberal democracy slugged it out.

I will make a political point though: the EU has been largely responsible for 75 years of peace in Europe.

Really how about the Greek Civil war,1968 Invasion of Czechoslovakia,1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus,Romania,Georgia, Crimea the list goes on. We`ve also been at war with Argentina and Iraq.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Think NATO & the Warsaw Pact had more influence

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A number of institutions have played a role in keeping the peace.

What is true, is that when politics fails it is the ordinary men and women who get sucked into war and are asked to perform extraordinary acts in the hope it will bring a lasting peace.

My thoughts will be with all those who lost their lives on D-Day. I thank my lucky stars I have not had to go what they went through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here