Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How do all these non-STH global fans get tickets for CL Final?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Seen loads of Reds fans in Madrid saying they’ve flown in from Jupiter etc and wouldn’t miss for anything etc. But if you live in Sydney, Los Angeles etc how on earth do you get a ticket on the basis that you’d need to be a STH minimum and even then...? Both clubs only got about 6k tickets each too.

NB: not talking about purchases through touts. These seem to be people who live outside the UK and therefore can’t have accumulated any sort of loyalty points going to games. In fact sure for many this is their first game! How does this happen? Gotta feel for those who’ve had ST for 30 years and still can’t get a ticket. I’d be fecking fuming in their shoes

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
This is an extract from the Evening Standard that answers your question:

"A group of eight Liverpool fans from California and Australia admitted they had spent a combined total of about £40,000 on travel.

“My airfare for a 25-hour flight from Melbourne was around £2,000, and then there’s that again on a match ticket, and much more still for somewhere to stay,” said stockbroker Marlon Mindel, 53."

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Still doesn’t explain how they got tickets - long way for 8 people to fly at such cost taking a chance they’d all get one from a tout even at £2k a ticket. Which obviously isn’t the price from the club direct?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
They would likely have got tickets in the UEFA ballot a while ago.

Other than that I should imagine that the club allocates a number of tickets to people abroad who have made the trips to the UK to see games.

Seems fair.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Stubhub/ticketmaster. What do I win?
Is the right answer.

A mate of mine who is originally from Pakistan (well Kashmir but that's another story) was looking at tickets for the sold out India v Pakistan World Cup cricket match here.

He said that the cheapest tickets on the resale sites were £1800. So he decided against it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I have a Sussex based acquaintance who, although born and bred in Liverpool, goes to nothing but the big games since he bought shares many moons back which entitles him to first dibs on tickets.
He's in Madrid.

Invicta

Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Mastercard dishing out tickets to any one that wants them in London Financial world (Not actual fans !)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Still doesn’t explain how they got tickets - long way for 8 people to fly at such cost taking a chance they’d all get one from a tout even at £2k a ticket. Which obviously isn’t the price from the club direct?

Saw on the news earlier, interviews with a few from USA, Aussieland, Israel and none had tickets. Went to watch on the big screens in the city centre.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
A lot will be coming via the sponsors - see earlier post regards Mastercard. It’s the same with the IOC for the Olympics, FIFA for the World Cup. UEFA are rewarding their ‘Family’.
When I was in Beijing for The Olympics sponsors who were there gave up tickets for the men’s 100m (think Bolt) to go shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I have a friend who is the Chairman of one of the Liverpool supporters club here in the USA. Pool regularly give them tickets to big games and a few will get a ticket that way.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
When I've been to the Euros/world cup most of the tickets I bought from touts were originally from sponsors.

This is why I always stick up for tours in the threads, I had a long chat with one in Germany who did he was out there a month before the tournament making contacts in hotels who would then put the feelers out as the corporates turned up. If the touts were doing this work the stadiums with either have an empty seat or a bloke in a suit who just wanted a freebie holiday.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’m not sure, but I believe a large proportion of affordable tickets are always on sale to the local residents of whichever stadium/city is hosting the game, an awful lot of those get sold on.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thanks guys and girls for clearing that up. Appreciate!

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Saw on the news earlier, interviews with a few from USA, Aussieland, Israel and none had tickets. Went to watch on the big screens in the city centre.

Only flaw in that plan being that there aren’t any fan zone/big screens being set up according to the radio yesterday.......

Guy that works for me (Spurs STH) has gone over with a fairly big group (flight to Valencia then train to Madrid). They’ve pre-hired a bar with TVs to watch it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Only flaw in that plan being that there aren’t any fan zone/big screens being set up according to the radio yesterday.......

Guy that works for me (Spurs STH) has gone over with a fairly big group (flight to Valencia then train to Madrid). They’ve pre-hired a bar with TVs to watch it.
They've just said on the radio that "thousands will be watching in the fan areas set up around the city".

Thought it would be a bit daft not to do that and miss out on selling thousands of pints to the English.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here