Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] John Cleese criticised.......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
for saying London is 'no longer an English city'

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has criticised John Cleese after the Fawlty Towers legend said the capital was "not really an English city any more".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48451384

Is this really offensive?

Factually, it's wrong. London is a city, which is in England. Therefore, it's an English city :thumbsup:

Maybe not offensive, but he could've just written what he meant – i.e. 'there are too many foreigners in England'. From his home in a faraway land...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If it stops him from making anymore of that awful sit com ‘Hold the sunset’ it will be worth it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Like if you went to australia, and when you got there it was all McDonalds, Starbucks and Apple shops i'd think you'd be a tad disappointed and think similar thoughts because you went there to experience the native people's culture.

Exactly.

We aren't the original native culture and this Khan fellow isn't of the native cultures of the British Isles.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ah them were the days when London was English.

bowler hats.jpg

I'll get my bowler hat

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Exactly.

We aren't the original native culture and this Khan fellow isn't of the native cultures of the British Isles.

True.
Before the Romans arrived ( what did they ever do for us? ) and introduced a modicum of culture, we were a bunch of thick, xenophobic, racist savages.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Factually, it's wrong. London is a city, which is in England. Therefore, it's an English city :thumbsup:

Maybe not offensive, but he could've just written what he meant – i.e. 'there are too many foreigners in England'. From his home in a faraway land...

When I think of traditional English I see men in bowler hats tbh

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I don't mind foreigners here, I have many foreigners in my family both here and abroad, but London doesn't feel very English to me. Alfriston, York, etc, they feel pretty English. London doesn't.

Outrageous.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Like if you went to australia, and when you got there it was all McDonalds, Starbucks and Apple shops i'd think you'd be a tad disappointed and think similar thoughts because you went there to experience the native people's culture.

Australia....Culture?......they make yoghurt?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here