Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you have an American Express credit card?

Do you have an American Express credit card (or other Amex product)?

• Yes, had one for a while (work)

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Yes, had one for a while (personal)

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Yes, got since Albion sponsorship (work)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, got since Albion sponsorship (personal)

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • No, but thinking about it (personal)

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • No, not for me thanks

Votes: 77 51.7%
  • I work there

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Why have a card that doesn't work in a lot of shops?

I have very little trouble using mine in a lot of shops, only a few don’t accept it.

Amex champion small businesses, charging less than MC and Visa, so there really is no financial excuse for any business not accepting it.

Oh, and the air miles are a decent benefit too, saves me a packet on holiday flights.

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
I had one from Lloyds for years and years, as it used to earn decent Airmails. But it got discontinued a few months ago, and replaced by a MasterCard.

As others have said, the fact it often wasn't accepted was a pain though.

This, although I've always had the mastercard too, hence i never used the amex card.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cancelled my most recent one - the Gold Rewards card - yesterday as it happens.

I'd had it for nearly a year, mainly for the new customer early spending rewards, but cancelled it before I was due to pay the £140 annual fee. I already pay about the same annually for my Virgin Atlantic card, and don't need both at the same time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I found the "Amex isn't widely accepted" thing a bit of a myth, although I understand the higher rates retailers are charged which explains some reluctance.

It certainly used to be the case I think, but I really can't think of many occasions that I couldn't use it.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I found the "Amex isn't widely accepted" thing a bit of a myth, although I understand the higher rates retailers are charged which explains some reluctance.

It certainly used to be the case I think, but I really can't think of many occasions that I couldn't use it.

Very true, I got one fairly recently to earn cashback. Can count on one hand the amount of times it's been rejected. Appreciate that in london a lot more places will take any card than in other places though.

One of the places that surprised me was Wembley stadium not accepting it, just seemed weird for such a huge venue not to accept it.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cancelled my most recent one - the Gold Rewards card - yesterday as it happens.

I'd had it for nearly a year, mainly for the new customer early spending rewards, but cancelled it before I was due to pay the £140 annual fee. I already pay about the same annually for my Virgin Atlantic card, and don't need both at the same time.

Acknowledging your wealth of US holiday experience and savvy financial moves, I’ll look into getting a Virgin Atlantic c/c.

I never did get round to your earlier advice of using a Tesco Club card in tandem with a c/c (I think it was?).

We want to see more of the States.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Acknowledging your wealth of US holiday experience and savvy financial moves, I’ll look into getting a Virgin Atlantic c/c.

I never did get round to your earlier advice of using a Tesco Club card in tandem with a c/c (I think it was?).

We want to see more of the States.

Our simple process is...

- Buy all groceries and petrol from Tesco. Retain Clubcard points until there is a boost with an enhanced conversion rate running, and then convert them to Virgin miles.
- Use the Virgin Atlantic cards for ALL purchases everywhere. There is a free card and a c£150/year card. I use the latter for the enhanced miles it rewards.

You can also get the Amex Gold Rewards card - which is free for the first year - hit the early spend threshold that triggers a bonus reward and then convert all points to Virgin miles. Then "introduce" your spouse/partner/whatever to the card, earning you both bonuses and they repeat the spending. Cancel both cards when done. You used to be able to rinse and repeat this every six months, but I understand this loophole has been closed now.

Doing this, which doesn't involve spending anything we wouldn't otherwise do, nor spending anywhere we wouldn't otherwise go, we've flown Premium and Upper using miles a fair few times, even in school Summer holidays.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Disagree as I have negotiated much better rates with other card providers so never offer Amex to customers anymore

Fair enough, I can only speak from experience where they are lower than MC and Visa. It’s fair to say the other two have had to reduce their rates due to market pressure, Amex hasn’t changed its rate, but they are still lower.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our simple process is...

- Buy all groceries and petrol from Tesco. Retain Clubcard points until there is a boost with an enhanced conversion rate running, and then convert them to Virgin miles.
- Use the Virgin Atlantic cards for ALL purchases everywhere. There is a free card and a c£150/year card. I use the latter for the enhanced miles it rewards.

You can also get the Amex Gold Rewards card - which is free for the first year - hit the early spend threshold that triggers a bonus reward and then convert all points to Virgin miles. Then "introduce" your spouse/partner/whatever to the card, earning you both bonuses and they repeat the spending. Cancel both cards when done. You used to be able to rinse and repeat this every six months, but I understand this loophole has been closed now.

Doing this, which doesn't involve spending anything we wouldn't otherwise do, nor spending anywhere we wouldn't otherwise go, we've flown Premium and Upper using miles a fair few times, even in school Summer holidays.

Thanks. I must make that the next bit of admin to organise. We want a longish holiday in California as a family.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The places not taking AMEX thing is an absolute myth. 90% of my monthly spend is done on AMEX, only 10% not.

I've had one long before BHA involvement on a personal basis. Combination of Gold, BA, Platinum.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The places not taking AMEX thing is an absolute myth. 90% of my monthly spend is done on AMEX, only 10% not.

I've had one long before BHA involvement on a personal basis. Combination of Gold, BA, Platinum.

Statistically, it really isn't a myth - In the US, 30% fewer merchants accept Amex vs Visa/MC, in the UK that's closer to 50 - In Europe the disparity is larger.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Statistically, it really isn't a myth - In the US, 30% fewer merchants accept Amex vs Visa/MC, in the UK that's closer to 50 - In Europe the disparity is larger.

OK. In my experience it is a myth as based on a quick review of the last 3 months I've been able to do 90% of my monthly spend on AMEX.

I also suggest the above is skewed with things like Square / iZettle as presumably they are a 'single merchant' but are very popular with smaller traders.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Another ex-cardmember here (although technically I think I still have a credit card), had Platinum for years, somehow convincing myself that it's worthwhile. When doing 30 plus flights a year, I was probably right but when not travelling so much, it's very hard to justify.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I can't vote as there isn't the right option for me.

This is a bit of a guilty secret for me - I had one about 30 years ago but found their admin quite poor and cancelled it after a number of frustrating events (e.g. payments made but not acknowledged.)

I'm sure they're much better now but who needs another card in a world of too many cards?

No option for got one then ditched it!

I think your option may be 'no - not for me'

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
OK. In my experience it is a myth as based on a quick review of the last 3 months I've been able to do 90% of my monthly spend on AMEX.

Understood - But it's probably your locale as much as anything, like you used to use AXP for basically everything but as you get more rural, move away from the South East and don't frequent supermarkets so much....

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Had one for a while. Initially taken out for Avios. Less fussed about that now, as trying to cut down on air travel but handy for the Amex Hospitality area at the Brighton Marathon.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Have no interest in a credit card as debit is fine. Also AEx isn't accepted 99% of the places I used to shop (maybe SLIGHT over-exaggeration but)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have no interest in a credit card as debit is fine. Also AEx isn't accepted 99% of the places I used to shop (maybe SLIGHT over-exaggeration but)

You miss out on a lot of purchase protection with a debit card, don't you?

(I'll admit to never having had need to call upon it, but I recall it mentioned a lot by the likes of Martin Lewis)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here