Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Car Insurance Help

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You need to consider the cost of making changes to your policy, ESure charge £26 for each change to your policy or payment details. Not important if you're not going to make changes but need to be aware.

Good point. My wife was with a fairly cheap motor insurer Debenhams (really just a face for a Lloyds underwriter). When we needed to change anything midyear, for example to add business cover, their admin charges alone 4 or 5 times the figure you mention. Plus astonishingly crap customer service at their SA/Zimbabwean call centre.

Glad to escape the crooks a renewal or two later on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Help being the operative word.

I've just done a quick 'Meerkat' for a 1.2ltr Clio, insurance band 6, and have got back pretty much the same amount I'm currently paying for my 2ltr estate/tank which is in insurance band 18 or 19 (certainly high teens).

What's that all about?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I guess so, although in fairness there's no actual value in either car.

If all circumstances including the main driver and additional drivers are the same, that’s odd then.

Try LV directly for a quote. I found them competitive (I had always used independent search engines) and their customer service/support on a very expensive claim where the at fault driver tried to lie, and on a second claim of a act of vandalism (bloke caught), was exemplary.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Help being the operative word.

I've just done a quick 'Meerkat' for a 1.2ltr Clio, insurance band 6, and have got back pretty much the same amount I'm currently paying for my 2ltr estate/tank which is in insurance band 18 or 19 (certainly high teens).

What's that all about?

It's the cyclists loading given that all Insurers know that cyclists make poor car drivers.

The serious answer is down to the pointy heads at the Insurer and what they consider to be the main risk factors in reaching a final premium
It is no longer as straight forward as a bigger engine or more valuable car equals a higher premium.
It can even come down to which day of the week the quotation is requested on.

The main thing as a policyholder is does the quoted premium and policy cover equate to good value.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for the tips.

Some how I don't think I'll trouble Lurker Rowe with me bibbling on about an old Renault Clio.

I get what you're saying [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] but I still can't come to terms with spending basically a third of the cost of a shitty car, on one years insurance, while basically being insurance bullet proof (age, NCB, squeaky clean license etc).

The whole point in buying something that crappy is so that I can get my car outgoings down in line with actual usage.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have always found Direct Line competitive and easy to speak to. Staff are very pleasant and well trained in my experience as well. Being able to speak to someone without jumping through hoops before being met with obvious disinterest/lack of knowledge has put me off the really cheap chatty companies.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Avoid Hastings Direct at all costs however cheap their quote. Totally ineffective and inefficient if you need to make a claim.

My daughter had a couple of accidents and we ended up getting county court claims direct from the other party as Hastings were so poor at dealing with the claim.

On the plus side, I’d recommend LV. Quotes are reasonable though not the cheapest and they’re very helpful and efficient if you need to make a claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have always found Direct Line competitive and easy to speak to. Staff are very pleasant and well trained in my experience as well. Being able to speak to someone without jumping through hoops before being met with obvious disinterest/lack of knowledge has put me off the really cheap chatty companies.

I've looked at them a number of times over the years and had very expensive quotes, same with Aviva (even though I have an Aviva pension and get a discount), and have 12 years no claims.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill

Moved to Direct Line last year after more than five years with Admiral. Admiral had been very good but this time DL were over £80 cheaper and Admiral wouldn’t match it or even try to get close.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thanks for the tips.

Some how I don't think I'll trouble Lurker Rowe with me bibbling on about an old Renault Clio.

I get what you're saying [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] but I still can't come to terms with spending basically a third of the cost of a shitty car, on one years insurance, while basically being insurance bullet proof (age, NCB, squeaky clean license etc).

The whole point in buying something that crappy is so that I can get my car outgoings down in line with actual usage.

Older car, targeted by thieves ? Or you live in an area with high theft ? Profession? Could be anything

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here