Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Car Insurance Help

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Can anybody offer any help or guidance in the field of car insurance, specifically any recommendations for companies to use or avoid?

I’ve driven a company car for the past 10+ years and haven’t needed to worry about anything motor related at all but we’re now being moved to a car allowance and I’m having to sort out my own vehicle. Collecting it this weekend and belatedly getting around to sorting out insurance, which is a proving to be a bit of a faff given that comparison sites don’t recognise the exact model/spec and the number plate isn’t yet registered or recognised.

Are the comparison sites recommended or am I better off going direct? Tesco Bank seem to consistently come up the cheapest.. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice...

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Ive always found cheapest on Compare The Markets and its usually Sheilas Wheels!!

Make sure that you get proof of NCD from previous insurers though.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
The comparision sites are generally good if you drive a fairly regular/standard car, jsut shop around each year. Very few companies dont appear on them now, Directlien being one.

andys320

Jan 10, 2014
Cheapest not always best, what happens in worst case scenario. I use LV. Reasonable cost but no quibble pay out when required.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Shielas or esure will usually come out cheapest, but thats their marketing aim (same company)

You need to consider the cost of making changes to your policy, ESure charge £26 for each change to your policy or payment details. Not important if you're not going to make changes but need to be aware.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Clear your cookies and go through Quidco or TopCashback, or you are handing over more money than you need to.

I've not found much luck with cashback on insurance products - the biggest payers are generally those with higher premiums, so the overall cost is lower with another provider.

The cashback comparison search always seems to come back with prices that are, just coincidentally, more expensive than the price going direct, by the value of the cashback...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
CompareTheMarket or Confused.com have always been fair in covering the entire market I think.

Have the full list of claims made with the date/cost of each, and motor convictions if any, to hand, for all drivers, to ease the tedious process.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
You do have to look at a lot of quotes and clear your cookies every time which is tiresome, but you can also do a one-off 'Quidco Compare' as a quicker look.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
CompareTheMarket or Confused.com have always been fair in covering the entire market I think.

Have the full list of claims made with the date/cost of each, and motor convictions if any, to hand, for all drivers, to ease the tedious process.

Direct Line and Aviva are two that don't feature on comparison websites. Also, when using comparison websites there should be a check box somewhere. Normally, the default option is for them to show prices that they can set up for you via a link but if you check the box, they have to show companies that they can't set up for you so you get a broader spread.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Direct Line and Aviva are two that don't feature on comparison websites. Also, when using comparison websites there should be a check box somewhere. Normally, the default option is for them to show prices that they can set up for you via a link but if you check the box, they have to show companies that they can't set up for you so you get a broader spread.

I realise the 2 companies you mention are just one example, but I’ve always found their premiums to be on the high side when I got direct quotes. Beyond just car insurance, too.

I must’ve used Confused.com for 15 years and they’ve always generated rock bottom premiums for me, with insurers who gave great customer service when claiming eg LV.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Not sure if this is valid for the old country, but in OZ I saved a bucket load by doing it all online and not calling them. From memory the saving was about A$150

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
sketch-1559575127144.png

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Been with NFU and have never had an issue,just tell them everything so they have no Get Out Clause,local office,s (well in this area they have) as others have said,cheaper may sound ok but a call centre in Bangkok at 60p a minute that 'discount' that you thought was genuine is soon wiped out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here