Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Things designed specifically to annoy and frustrate people.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
QWERTY keyboards. Designed to slow you down (so the keys on a typewriter don't jam), according to myth anyway.

No going back now.

It was to stop typewriters jamming, but not by slowing you down, by avoiding having keys that would frequently be used one after the other, next to each other, so there was more clearance between the arm that was dropping back and the one that was flying up.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Blow up dolls

Exhausting, blistering, completely one way, absolutely nothing in return, plus every single one I purchased didn't even last a week.

If you take one back to the shop and tell them it went down on you, they charge you another fiver.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Golf clubs that don't hit the ball where it should go.

The two minute recap on a weekly TV thriller from last week.

There’s an unexpected bonus here. When using Sky+ To see which one of the 400 episodes of Eastenders that my other half clogs up the Sky planner memory with. There’s a handy recap, usually a one line description, reading something like “Phil Mitchell falls off the wagon again. Kat Slater regrets sleeping with Ian Bleale.” Which saves one the trouble of actually watching that shit.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Twitter.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
stupid_packaging_power01.jpg

Stuff that comes in sealed plastic packaging like this. Requiring a moderately dangerous hack round with a bread knife or a pair of scissors.

Especially when the package contains scissors. Is someone having a laugh ?

Ha! Yes! We went camping once and we'd bought a new knife which cam in a sealed pack just like that. It was SO sealed that we had to ask the people in the next tent if they had a knife so we could open our knife!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Rubber Johnies!
They should provide a natty applicator.
Unless you are expert at snapping one on, you get to that moment, trying to get it out with your teeth and then fumbling around trying to roll it down, even worse if you have a todger like a grand national winner.
By the time you are sure it's not going to ping off you are flaccid.

My uncle had a todger like a cat - he called his cat Todger!

Last edited:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Those plastic seal things that are supposed to clip together on top of cheese packets to make it stay fresh.

They never work. I’m sticking with cling film.

Oh and my new Callaway driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember seeing an advert on US TV about 15 years ago advertising a little gadget to cleanly open these packages. I thought it was a great idea but never found them for sale in this country and eventually forgot all about it. I wonder if I can get ownership of the patent?

The problem was the gadget came in heavy plastic packaging that was extremely difficult to remove.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Washing machines. Fine for washing clothes.It's moving them I can't stand. Why do they not put grips or a handle cavities on them? Why?

Same reason that paving stones don't have handles. They aren't designed to be portable.

Of course, you have my sympathy if your job involves installing washing machines. Or laying paving stones.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
On new toilet cisterns and basins. :tantrum:

I shit you not, there was a sticker on my brand new toilet that only said 'do not remove this label'. Of course I tried to remove it as it was the most pointless sticker ever, now left with a feckin yellow square on my toilet. :censored:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Same reason that paving stones don't have handles. They aren't designed to be portable.

Of course, you have my sympathy if your job involves installing washing machines. Or laying paving stones.

I’ve paid the odd patio and moved my fair share of washing machines but don’t have to do it for a living thankfully . I get that they have to be solid and stable, concrete blocks in them etc but surely a couple of grips on them would help come moving days?

Basically if you had to design the most awkward thing to shift, you’d come up with the Washing machine ( or Theresa May). Boxy, heavy and nothing to grip onto and if you’re lucky it’ll drip a lovely dribble of grey water on you as you go up the stairs :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here