Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Great feature on embargoes in the UK football press

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If you're not in sports media but interested, you'll find this article very revealing.

From a US perspective.

British journalists chronicling mega-events like the Champions League are often operating on a timeline out of their control and with little access to players, publishing stories well after they’ve been reported. Could this be the dark future of U.S. sports coverage?

https://www.theringer.com/sports/20...g-embargo-access-champions-league-independent

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm sure [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] will add some insight into this, which I look forward to reading.

Before that though, I understand this is exactly what happens at the Albion too, and why I've never bothered to attend press conferences to report on them on NSC. It just seems ludicrous that I couldn't go along and then pop on here and let people know what has been said immediately and, if I did, I'd likely be banned from attending.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I guess I was naive but I now share your sentiments Bozza and would do the same. What a world it’s become. Everything and everyone is so controlled now: money, power and sheer greed the foundation for just about everything and it’s never been greater or easier to do.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I get the need for embargoes in some situations (as annoying as they are sometimes) – I've even had to impose them on some things I do – but I'm puzzled by the process described in that article. It appears to suggest that the embargo is set by the journalist, as opposed to the club, league or 'business'.

This situation is the polar opposite of what I've experienced. Companies have imposed embargoes on journalists and if the journalist breaks it they get their knuckles wrapped by the company, but less so by fellow hacks. But in the footballing world, there's a gentleman's agreement to hold off publishing anything until a specific time and if you do break it then you're out of the 'clique'? Weird.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] will add some insight into this, which I look forward to reading.

Before that though, I understand this is exactly what happens at the Albion too, and why I've never bothered to attend press conferences to report on them on NSC. It just seems ludicrous that I couldn't go along and then pop on here and let people know what has been said immediately and, if I did, I'd likely be banned from attending.

You'd be ok if you covered up breaking the embargo by cunningly disguising the facts with incredibly poor spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Make the review look like it was written by a toddler and the club will keep inviting adult Bozza back.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You'd be ok if you covered up breaking the embargo by cunningly disguising the facts with incredibly poor spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Make the review look like it was written by a toddler and the club will keep inviting adult Bozza back.
HB&B was unwittingly pursuing this strategy.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Who could you possibly be alluding to...? :whistle::whistle:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Gus told me that once... :wink:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

TBH, most press conferences seem to be anodyne exercises in ticking boxes. You may have heard of " Bullshit Bingo " being played by the underlings at meetings ? Well, I'm quite convinced you can do the same at almost any sporting press conference, you always get the same old tosh trotted out " its going to be a hard game " " We must respect our opponents " " On the day..... " " if we work, as a team, as I know we can play …. " There is genuinely very little in the way of insights these days as all teams and managers are happy to tick their contractual obligations hen get home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here