Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] The Bromley Boys - Sky Premiere

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Enjoyed it on Now TV.
One thing though, why does Alan Davies narrate?

Alan was always gonna be the narrator. When we all came in for the first full cast read through he asked if he could play the Dad too.

We discussed at length whether this would be too confusing but it was fine on the test audiences. Probably 1 in 500 people mention it!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Alan was always gonna be the narrator. When we all came in for the first full cast read through he asked if he could play the Dad too.

We discussed at length whether this would be too confusing but it was fine on the test audiences. Probably 1 in 500 people mention it!!

Sorry to be that 1! You’re right, didn’t take away from it, was just genuinely interested in the decision. Anyway, a good watch and was lovely to see some lines here and there that couldn’t have been written by anyone else but you. And obviously seeing some friendly faces in there! Good job.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Sorry to be that 1! You’re right, didn’t take away from it, was just genuinely interested in the decision. Anyway, a good watch and was lovely to see some lines here and there that couldn’t have been written by anyone else but you. And obviously seeing some friendly faces in there! Good job.

Cheers old boy. Mucho appreciado.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I really enjoyed the dynamic of the members of the Supporters Club. Really good little group of characters. They were the heart of the film.

Yeah they were all great. The real Roy is hilarious. He turned up to the black tie premiere with his plastic bag containing some sandwiches and Bromley programmes to read.

I viewed it as Dave at adulthood having a similar voice to his father.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Correct!

I even added a line 'These days my old mum says I've turned in to my Dad - in 1966 I couldn't have imagined anything worse'

... just to make sure!

Hope you know it wasn’t a criticism, was genuinely interested in the choice. You know me, I like the details.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Finally caught up with this [MENTION=2647]gripper stebson[/MENTION]. Rang somewhat true with my own childhood with my Grandad president of Waterlooville Football club with whom I travelled home and away many years, including Hayes Lane! To be honest, you weren't far off being able to film this at The Enclosed Ground. :smile:

I really enjoyed the film, the writing worked really well. My memories though, going back to early 80s I guess, that the Isthmian and Southern Leagues were of a pretty decent standard even going back to the 70s. You were still one of the exceptional footballers in your area to play at this level. This isn't a criticism as the film has to convey the drama and story of the characters, but I did think it was perhaps a bit unkind to the footballers.

Another thumbs up though, less scary than some of your previous projects it has to be said. :wink::D

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Got round to watching the other week with my upgraded Virgin subscription. A very funny and charming film. Great fun and I highly recommend it/

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Finally caught up with this [MENTION=2647]gripper stebson[/MENTION]. Rang somewhat true with my own childhood with my Grandad president of Waterlooville Football club with whom I travelled home and away many years, including Hayes Lane! To be honest, you weren't far off being able to film this at The Enclosed Ground. :smile:

I really enjoyed the film, the writing worked really well. My memories though, going back to early 80s I guess, that the Isthmian and Southern Leagues were of a pretty decent standard even going back to the 70s. You were still one of the exceptional footballers in your area to play at this level. This isn't a criticism as the film has to convey the drama and story of the characters, but I did think it was perhaps a bit unkind to the footballers.

Another thumbs up though, less scary than some of your previous projects it has to be said. :wink::D

The reason for the rubbish footballers was two fold.

1. We needed it to be comedic and drive home how crap Bromley were.
2. We only had about 20 extras. Anyone who turned up was given a football kit!! You will notice if you are keen eyed that the shots of the crowd are largely made up of the footballers on the pitch! The magic of the movies...

Cheers for the kinds words. Back to scary for the next one.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Hello all... and particularly US based NSC'ers.

The Bromley Boys is now available in the US on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, INDEMAND, and YouTube Movies if you fancy it. Forget about defeating Iran and worry about defeating Enfield

Wx

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hello all... and particularly US based NSC'ers.

The Bromley Boys is now available in the US on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, INDEMAND, and YouTube Movies if you fancy it. Forget about defeating Iran and worry about defeating Enfield

Wx

Also on Delta flights to and from the US at the moment I noticed on the flight to Detroit and from Salt Lake back here, do you get paid for that from the airlines ?

Anyway I watched I think in November thoroughly charming film and funny with it, captured the period very well I thought too, well done.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Also on Delta flights to and from the US at the moment I noticed on the flight to Detroit and from Salt Lake back here, do you get paid for that from the airlines ?

Anyway I watched I think in November thoroughly charming film and funny with it, captured the period very well I thought too, well done.

The production does. Long way off me getting any royalties!

...and cheers for the kind words. Always good t hear.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Late bounce but finally got around to watching this (in-flight). Absolutely superb film [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122] Whimsical in a ‘Detectorists’ kind if way. Great cast too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here