Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] A Request for Help ....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So, one of my best friends, Lisa, has just been diagnosed with stage four breast cancer. To say it's blown her world apart ( and that of all of us that love her ) is an understatement. She has been given 1-2 years to live ..... and she's only 46 !!!! Unfortunately the cancer has spread to her liver and her bones .... hence no real chance of survival. She has a five year old daughter that she will now not see move to senior school, go to uni, get married, get her own home, travel - all stuff most of us parents take for granted. To add to this, her father recently died and her mother has just been diagnosed with dementia.

So why the post I can hear most of you saying .... well .... I have three requests :

1. If you're male and have a female partner please please encourage them to check their breasts regularly for lumps. If you're female, then obviously please please check your breasts. And for the record, men can get breast cancer too so all males should also check their chests. Equally men, you have to check your balls. And in the same vein, men of a certain age need to consider prostrate cancer. Get tested if you're over 45 - there is a free testing session on the 28th September at Bishop Hannington Church. I'd hate for anyone to be going through what Lisa is.

2. All Lisa's friends are trying to raise funds for her. Some will be used for the normal costs of cancer treatment - taxis etc. It will also be used to send Lisa, her daughter and her partner on a holiday ...... for the very first time. And sadly the funeral costs. So I'm after innovative ideas of how to raise money or organisations that donate in these situations. As an example, her partner is a fairly well known London DJ - he's holding a boat party to raise funds. It's that kind of idea I'm looking for. Any suggestions would of course be very much welcome.

3. And finally, and I don't expect anything here given the only link Lisa has to NSC and the Albion is me, but I have to ask. Money !!!! If anyone would like to donate even the smallest amount then below is her Just Giving page link. Feel free to donate in memory of someone you loved who has died of the big C or indeed attribute it to NSC. BUT even if you don't donate, and I don't expect anyone to do so, please take note of my point number ONE !

https://www.gofundme.com/live-for-loud?sfns=mo

Thank you for listening. And have a good day.

Westdene Seagull

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i am sorry to hear about your friend mate......it is becoming more and more common for younger people to get diagnosed with life threatening/ending diseases , at her age and situation i would be looking at radical treatment , cabinol does work in some cases but not all so i would suggest she asks her doctor if she qualifies for it .......once she starts chemo it's downhill from there , she needs to keep herself as fit as possible for as long as possible to try and fight it .....might turn 2 years into 5 ......sorry again mate.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Really sorry to hear that mate. Mother in law has just recovered after a long old fight.

We can hope that there is a cure around the corner or it can be one of those miracle stories where she recovers despite the prognosis. One thing I would suggest off the bat is to re-share this on Friday. I am probably not the only one that lives one month to the next as such I can't support until the end of the month pay day

Again, really sorry to hear it, you also know that should you personally need the support there are a wealth of people on NSC that will be happy to chat, share experiences and just generally let you rant, cry anything all with the anonymity of the internet.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Awful news, thoughts go out to your friend, her family and to you.

My mum was diagnosed a few years ago and thankfully went into remission. She does loads of fundraising and awareness stuff now. I can always ask her for ideas or could even put Lisa in touch with her if she wanted to speak to someone who's gone through something similar.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm really sorry to read about your friend. My friend Glenys died in 2017 in her late 40s, of the same thing, leaving teenage children.

I agree with point 1. Men can get breast cancer too, and it's not often mentioned.
Women are encouraged to examine for lumps every month, and over 50 can have mammograms every three years. Early detection is the key.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Lost my mum to breast cancer when I was 17 - she was only 41. Chances of survival much better these days but it doesn't sound good for your friend. Best wishes

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I lost my father, one set of grandparents and nearly another grandmother to various forms of Cancer, so I stand with you in wanting to raise awareness about this awful disease.

I have no real immediate suggestions, but I have donated and you have my best wishes, as does Lisa and all who are affected.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A friend of mine, albeit slightly older, received the same devastating news in February. And we lost one of our best friends aged 50 a few years ago to this terrible disease. My heart goes out to you, Lisa and her family. Thank you for sharing, it’s an important message to keep publicising.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
A quick bounce as per [MENTION=3110]Paul Reids Sock[/MENTION] 's excellent point.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Realy sorry to hear this Westdene. Cancer is a shitty disease. My sister in law was also diagnosed with breast cancer in her mid 40s a few years ago. Luckily in remission now but not after a pretty horrible battle with chemo and she's still affected by all that.

A friend of a friend also recently died of cancer in her 40s leaving a husband and young children and this is why I'm writing. They wanted to try and get treatment in the US and needed to raised a lot of money for it. They had quite a few contacts in the club and music scene, here rather than London, and know the guy who runs the Big Beach Cafe at the Lagoon and also Mark Williams. They organised to put on a kids' festival at the Lagoon one Saturnday afternoon and I went along with my kids while several of my mates volunteered. There was a music tent, lots of games, raffle and the bar and cafe was open, Mark came down and drew the raffle. Even though it was a freezing cold day (the day we played Man U away in the cup!) everyone who knew them or friends of them made an effort and they raised a fair bit. The kids' games were particularly a big hit. Get them right and the little so and so's will pester you to play again and again.

I'm not saying do an exact copy but if they've got friends locallly who know venues that might let them have an afternoon free, then a familly based, daytime version of the parties he's organised but with kids games and more toned down music might well make a few quid. Will need to be well publicised among your friends group. The event I'm talking about was all over our Facebooks for a good couple of months.

As I said at the start there was no happy ending for my friend's friend but I'd imagine they were kept busy (and the kids' minds kept firmly off other things) by arranging all these events and fundraisers. Also be aware that not everything will work out - we were also going to go to a black tie event for the same cause but it was cancelled in the end as the costs spiralled.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
After a chat at mod towers and with the OP I am making this a sticky for now to see if it gets more views.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
After a chat at mod towers and with the OP I am making this a sticky for now to see if it gets more views.

Is there any way of making it a stickie and also in the main 'body' of threads? I generally gloss over the stickies, but just happened to notice this one...

To the OP, sorry to hear the devastating news – I'll chuck some money in the pot and please keep us posted as to what we can do for Lisa or anyone in the family. Such a shite disease that, unfortunately, our family has had its fair share of too...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Is there any way of making it a stickie and also in the main 'body' of threads? I generally gloss over the stickies, but just happened to notice this one...

To the OP, sorry to hear the devastating news – I'll chuck some money in the pot and please keep us posted as to what we can do for Lisa or anyone in the family. Such a shite disease that, unfortunately, our family has had its fair share of too...

It's one or the other as the control for it is a radio button rather than multi choice. I've said to WS we'll keep an eye on posting and views and it can always be unstuck and bounced.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I wish her well with her treatment. She will find wonderful care from the nursing staff plus support from people like MacMillan and AITC. Take all the help offered and strength from the many people going through with cancer, there are some really awesome & inspiring people out there.

Things look bleak but try to keep positive, do what you can whilst you can and leave a whole lot of wonderful memories. I consider myself somewhat lucky with my cancer but it has changed my life and I've had so many positives from it.

I wish your friend all the very best & take things as they come rather then looking at the big picture .

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Thought I'd give a little update as I went and stayed with Lisa this weekend. But firstly a big thank you to all on NSC that have posted their good luck messages, PMs, ideas and donated ..... Lisa is so grateful that a bunch of strangers have been so kind. Overwhelmed is probably a better word.

Unfortunately she's gone downhill rapidly and now has to sleep downstairs as she can't climb stairs. She also needs help dressing and washing. It's a horrific illness and I can't really comprehend how quickly it can take hold. She has a nurse come in every day to help her and MacMillan have been a godsend.

Her and her partner are now going to get married in the next month which is thankfully focusing her mind on something else. Mrs W and I spent the weekend sorting the garden ready for a home wedding. Friends are paying for all the costs of the wedding so the Just Giving Fund will continue to be reserved for treatment costs and to support their very young daughter ( the holiday mentioned previously just isn't possible now ).

And so yet again, as always, NSC proves to be a force for good. Thank you from the bottom of my heart ..... and from Lisa.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
A very dignified, moving funding request.
Widespread support on NSC is heartwarming and I hope it will give some comfort to all those touched by this tragedy.

Last edited:

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Very sorry to read this. There’s not many of us whose lives have not been affected by cancer and I’m no exception so I know how hard these times can be. And at such a young age. Life can be harsh.
I wish her all the best and thoughts with you and her family and friends.
It’s good that you’re spending time with her and sharing the positive thoughts from here.
Best
TC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here