Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Women's football - on a monumental rise

17 Not allowed!
    A lot of people on this board and in the football community express a disdain toward's women's football, which I always find really disappointing when I see it.

Considering it was literally banned until 1971 in this country, and has never seen the kind of investment in the sport that came with the billions of pounds that was introduced into the men's game since the 90's, it has a hell of a lot of catching up to do.

So I'm really pleased to see Scotland Women see a record breaking crowd of 18,000 (the previous record being around 5,000) tonight against Jamaica. I expect we will see similar record breaking crowds in the WSL next season.

Like it or not, the women's game is on the up. Good for them, and good for all of us football fans!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

3 Not allowed!
      Maybe if they played topless it would attract more viewers
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

14 Not allowed!
      Good for them and anyone interested in it

It’s not obligatory to be enthusiastic about it is it?
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

0 Not allowed!
      Back in the day, personally I'm absolutely not a fan of women's football, or indeed many sports, nothing sexist, just don't get any excitement from it. Tennis is fun to watch in a third set tie breaker on a hot, sweaty day

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Considering it was literally banned until 1971 in this country.
      Well, not exactly. They were banned from playing in FA registered grounds. To be honest, most matches could be played at the local rec, no trouble.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......

0 Not allowed!

So I'm really pleased to see Scotland Women see a record breaking crowd of 18,000
      But only about 5 inside the ground at kick off due to the SFA shambles in getting people through the gates
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      A lot of people on this board and in the football community express a disdain toward's women's football, which I always find really disappointing when I see it.

Considering it was literally banned until 1971 in this country, and has never seen the kind of investment in the sport that came with the billions of pounds that was introduced into the men's game since the 90's, it has a hell of a lot of catching up to do.

So I'm really pleased to see Scotland Women see a record breaking crowd of 18,000 (the previous record being around 5,000) tonight against Jamaica. I expect we will see similar record breaking crowds in the WSL next season.

Like it or not, the women's game is on the up. Good for them, and good for all of us football fans!
      england sold over 20,000 for Saturday's game would be great if we could get over 25,000 will help us get more England games at the Amex.
      THOSE IN GLASS PALACES SHOULD NOT THROW BRICKS
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I expect we will see similar record breaking crowds in the WSL next season.
      There's a clear difference between attendances at one-off international games and regular domestic fixtures.

If there's an increase in domestic match attendance, it would certainly go against falling numbers in Germany, France, Spain and Italy.

"More than 60,000 spectators at a women’s game in Spain is clearly a positive step but that was just a one off," Stephan Schmidt, a spokesperson for Turbine Potsdam, one of the most successful clubs in German women’s football, told DW. "The day to day reality is quite different and we’re actually seeing a dramatic decline in the number of fans coming to watch matches."

Schmidt doesn’t believe the World Cup is likely to have a long term impact on attendance figures, which have fallen 25 percent at Turbine over the past five years, regardless of how well Germany fare.

"Five years ago, we could expect around 2,000 spectators at home games but the figure has dropped to around 1,500 per game this season," he said. "If Germany go far in the Women's World Cup then it’s possible those numbers will increase, but a quick boost doesn’t really help anyone. It needs to be sustained over a longer period to be of benefit to the league."

It’s a similar story right across Germany, where numbers are plummeting regardless of on-field success. Wolfsburg’s women’s team, reigning Bundesliga champions and back-to-back winners of the Women’s Champions League in 2013 and 2014, have also seen crowds leaving in droves.

Five years ago, Wolfsburg were drawing in average crowds of around 2,400 per league game. That figure is now around 1,300; a 42 percent drop in average gate figures.

It’s not just Germany either, other nations have struggled to maintain matchday attendances despite great strides in other areas of the women’s game.

In France, Lyon, widely-regarded as the best women’s team in Europe and winner of three Champions League titles in a row between 2015 and 2018, have seen average gates nosedive since five years ago, from more than 4,500 in 2013-14 to fewer than 1,000 this campaign. Montpellier’s gate has dropped 49 percent, Guingcamp's, 35 percent.

Matchday figures are also falling across the board in Spain and Italy, with the Spanish clash between Atletico and Barcelona appearing even more of an anomaly when taking regular league gates into account.

https://www.dw.com/en/empty-seats-th...ope/a-48006356
      "To be honest, I was holding out just for Brighton really. This is where I wanted to be."
      - Bobby Zamora, Tuesday 4th August 2015
      "It does not matter what league you are in, the goalposts don't move."
      - Glenn Murray, Sunday 4th March 2018

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hart's shirt View Post
      There's a clear difference between attendances at one-off international games and regular domestic fixtures.

If there's an increase in domestic match attendance, it would certainly go against falling numbers in Germany, France, Spain and Italy.

"More than 60,000 spectators at a women’s game in Spain is clearly a positive step but that was just a one off," Stephan Schmidt, a spokesperson for Turbine Potsdam, one of the most successful clubs in German women’s football, told DW. "The day to day reality is quite different and we’re actually seeing a dramatic decline in the number of fans coming to watch matches."

Schmidt doesn’t believe the World Cup is likely to have a long term impact on attendance figures, which have fallen 25 percent at Turbine over the past five years, regardless of how well Germany fare.

"Five years ago, we could expect around 2,000 spectators at home games but the figure has dropped to around 1,500 per game this season," he said. "If Germany go far in the Women's World Cup then it’s possible those numbers will increase, but a quick boost doesn’t really help anyone. It needs to be sustained over a longer period to be of benefit to the league."

It’s a similar story right across Germany, where numbers are plummeting regardless of on-field success. Wolfsburg’s women’s team, reigning Bundesliga champions and back-to-back winners of the Women’s Champions League in 2013 and 2014, have also seen crowds leaving in droves.

Five years ago, Wolfsburg were drawing in average crowds of around 2,400 per league game. That figure is now around 1,300; a 42 percent drop in average gate figures.

It’s not just Germany either, other nations have struggled to maintain matchday attendances despite great strides in other areas of the women’s game.

In France, Lyon, widely-regarded as the best women’s team in Europe and winner of three Champions League titles in a row between 2015 and 2018, have seen average gates nosedive since five years ago, from more than 4,500 in 2013-14 to fewer than 1,000 this campaign. Montpellier’s gate has dropped 49 percent, Guingcamp's, 35 percent.

Matchday figures are also falling across the board in Spain and Italy, with the Spanish clash between Atletico and Barcelona appearing even more of an anomaly when taking regular league gates into account.

https://www.dw.com/en/empty-seats-th...ope/a-48006356
      Tell all that to the BBC.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
      england sold over 20,000 for Saturday's game would be great if we could get over 25,000 will help us get more England games at the Amex.
      I can't imagine many who watched the last game either live or on TV will return for more. As I said on another thread, the standard was abysmal and even Phil Neville described the first half as boring. Women should play football if they want, but the standard should not yet be equated with the men's game.
      I hope you meet someone your height, so you can see eye to eye with someone as small as you!