Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Death on the High Street,Boots.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Boots are also expensive keep upping prices compared to the supermarkets. Medication I used to purchase there went up 30p for no apparent reason making it £1 more expensive than Sainsbury’s/Tesco.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Boots are also expensive keep upping prices compared to the supermarkets. Medication I used to purchase there went up 30p for no apparent reason making it £1 more expensive than Sainsbury’s/Tesco.

Which is as good a reason as any to not use Boots.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Doesn't look good. The Supermarkets have cleaned-up. Go to Leek Sainsbury's and 7am/10pm medical advive/pharmacy. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48435802

WHSmiths is a big loss maker on the High St,check the figures.

Our WHSmiths still looks like it did 15 years ago, dank and shabby looking.
The high street rent is so extortionate, that outlets dont really stand a chance, all that prosper are charity shops.
The local Boots opticians is thriving, so will probably close :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
though it fits with general theme about high street, on its own cutting less than 10% of stores is more like general business change.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
While upsetting for the overly made up women aggressively Manning the make up counters who might lose their jobs (in all seriousness, I do feel for the staff), but no great loss to the high street in general.

Far too expensive for so much of what it stocks (when compared to everyone, not just the supermarkets), these are among the dinosaur retailers who have failed to invest in tech OR bricks&mortar.

Not a loss to anyone but those losing their jobs.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I used to say the typical UK High Street in its current form won't exist in two generations' time and people used to dismiss it. I'm thinking of revising my opinion to in ONE generation. As a business model, it's a busted flush.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Our WHSmiths still looks like it did 15 years ago, dank and shabby looking.
The high street rent is so extortionate, that outlets dont really stand a chance, all that prosper are charity shops.
The local Boots opticians is thriving, so will probably close :shrug:

Our WH Smiths is the same, and now they're closing the local (very busy) Post Office and putting it into Smiths - which will just mean that will get run down as well....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Boots have always been expensive, Superdrug and Savers plus the supermarkets have slowly eaten in to their sales. There always seems to be a race to the bottom on price in the High Street and as rents increase shutting stores is really no surprise.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I used to say the typical UK High Street in its current form won't exist in two generations' time and people used to dismiss it. I'm thinking of revising my opinion to in ONE generation. As a business model, it's a busted flush.

Coffee chain, charity shop, coffee chain, charity shop, coffee chain, charity shop... Nope, it’s still a thriving model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Our WH Smiths is the same, and now they're closing the local (very busy) Post Office and putting it into Smiths - which will just mean that will get run down as well....

Boots have always been expensive, Superdrug and Savers plus the supermarkets have slowly eaten in to their sales. There always seems to be a race to the bottom on price in the High Street and as rents increase shutting stores is really no surprise.

Our local M&S Simply closed, only to be replaced by a CoOp, even though they were offered a years reduced rent to stay.
Subway has closed.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have checked the figures and they have done pretty good on the figures released for 2018. Decent profit.

That’s my take.

The doom and gloom media (they love it don’t they? eg M&S) spent decades talking about the decline of WHS. Not a peep for a few years now due the brilliant work of WHS’s CEO, including gaining the Post Office contracts. Though barely a mention in the non-finance news, because it’s a success story.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Rents have been static, but business rates have crept remorselessly up. But their combined cost takes a relatively larger chunk of income, with one sixth of retail sales now made online.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Boots keep gobbling up groups that own pharmacies and will mainly be closing those where they have multiple pharmacies in the same area I guess.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Found out that the Clinton’s in George Street closed from yesterday. Sussex Booksmiths are owned by Smiths, so one of them will go before long. It’s our own fault because we decided to go on line. There are fewer and fewer options to buy stuff. Curry’s/PC World will probably just do online before long. Even the betting shops will go before long. Before long we will all be living indoors waiting for a drone to pop by with the shopping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here