Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A difficult season ahead

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Villa are not a sleeping giant. That is laughable thing to say, they’re a galaxy away from ever becoming a top side again. You need Billions not millions and a bit more than ‘promising Jack Grealish’ to even trouble the top third of the PL. Villa are just in with the rest of us now I.e. the also rans! Besides, 2 seasons in the Champ is more of a nap than a proper sleep.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As long as we give it a go, play some decent football and don't fold back to 10-1 formation and then it'll be alright. I think we'll be okay, just - i see so many people bigging up Norwich before any transfer activity. I can't see them doing well based on what they've got, this could change but then we could sign some absolute worldies and be mid-table.

I for one, just want us to be playing regular decent football even if we do shut up shop occasionally, I don't want to see us play negatively against a relegation rival at home...

Exactly, let’s try and play some football without thinking every team is better than us. Of course we’ll need to be defensive quite often but let’s at least have an outlet that’s not a hopeful punt upfield.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Villa are not a sleeping giant. That is laughable thing to say, they’re a galaxy away from ever becoming a top side again. You need Billions not millions and a bit more than ‘promising Jack Grealish’ to even trouble the top third of the PL. Villa are just in with the rest of us now I.e. the also rans! Besides, 2 seasons in the Champ is more of a nap than a proper sleep.

Certainly clearing out their squad, released by Villa so far:
McCormack
Elphick
De Laet
Whelan
Hutton
Adomah
Richards
Jedinak
Knibbs

Not surprising most of the names, whatever happened to Micah Richards!!??

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think we will find ourselves struggling to stay out of the bottom 3, which for me is fine as long as we show that we're willing to try and win the game and lose trying.
It was nothing worse last season (looking at you Burnley and Saints at home) when after the first half hour you knew we were going to lose as the initial momentum we had going into the game evaporated quickly. I was bored with how we were playing although I knew there was a reason for it due to the pressure.

So yes I hope it will be more enjoyable watching us play, even if we end up losing. I think if we can see how the team are evolving most of us would grudgingly accept us being relegated without calling for the Managers head.

On the other hand, you read the excitable threads on Villatalk and S24su about being promoted and how far up the table they think there going to finish and it's quite cringeworthy! They really are in for a shock!

Next seasons premier league looks like one of the strongest yet, definitely the strongest we’ve been in. The teams getting promoted are no push overs, villa are a sleeping giant, and if given financial backing this summer will be very strong with players like grealish and mcginn. Sheffield United and Norwich are possibly on paper the weakest teams, but have a strong togetherness and good managers, whilst also having tidy players. The bottom half of the table teams also are all looking strong. Southamptons new manager has them playing again and is said to be given a lot of money this summer. Newcastle with a possible new takeover and an outstanding manager. Burnley are possibly the weakest remaining team, however, this is said about them every year and every year they surprise people. I believe if hughton had stayed then we would’ve sleep walked into relegation, how many of those teams would we realistically finish above with hughton in charge? Potter is a risk, but a risk which needed to be taken.

Looks like the anti Hughton mob are covering their backsides to me by lowering expectations for a car crash season

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
So long as the football is better, we actually have a go and have a plan B that isn't to throw Duffy up front for the last 5 minutes I will be happy.

Spot on. Our first half of the last season is enough to tell me that we are good enough to compete, as it was the tactics that let us down.

Five new decent signings and keeping D&D will prove we are better than where we finished last year.

Palace will be weaker, a Burnley will struggle and the three coming up will all be poor.

Add to that Watford who will have been found out next year and Bournemouth who’ve peaked and a Leicester with an ever ageing Vardy.

It’s not as tough as the OP suggests PROVIDING we keep and buy the right players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a very big providing. We recruited well in the Championship but our Premiership efforts have been underwhelming. We’ve stayed up because Murray overcome the striker recruitment disasters with an excellent season and a half. But the way Glenn played in the final few months showed that Get Out Of Jail free card is pretty much used up.

We really need some rabbits out of the hat now

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I do not see the 3 promoted teams as particularly stronger than previous and see all 3 in or around the relegation places, so just another tough season in the land of the rich.

Too many People making assumption and predictions before the summer's dealings. The party line about evolution is no different to every previous year so I am still expecting several decent signings but I think the youngsters will actually get an opportunity to stake a claim rather than rotting in excile as previous.

Like all seasons I start with blind optimism tinged with a hint of real expectation but I'm no more worried than previous seasons. Bring it on.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

So long as the football is better, we actually have a go and have a plan B that isn't to throw Duffy up front for the last 5 minutes I will be happy.

If we are in bottom 3 by November both NSC and Amex will resemble Bedlam I’m afraid

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looks like the anti Hughton mob are covering their backsides to me by lowering expectations for a car crash season

I guess you are of the opinion that we should have stuck with CH and blame the recruitment team for supplying duds last season from your recent posts?

Only time will tell, none of us will know if it was the right decision for a few months yet but I do see lots of “told you so” posts coming up regardless, but there is absolutely no way the inners or the outers can claim the high ground just yet.

A car crash season under CH would have been much harder to take imo, but I will hold my hand up to being wrong if we are anywhere near as shit to watch next season.

I remember that we both we sang from the same hymn sheet during all of Mark McGhee’s tenure though :smile:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Certainly clearing out their squad, released by Villa so far:
McCormack
Elphick
De Laet
Whelan
Hutton
Adomah
Richards
Jedinak
Knibbs

Not surprising most of the names, whatever happened to Micah Richards!!??

Blimey, that's a name I've not heard in a very long time as Obi Wan would say. From England to Exit Stage Left, he's demonstrable evidence of so many players languishing in bigger club 'squads' that should just drop their wage demands and actually play some bloody football. It's like that Fabian Delph article about he's just as much deserving of his winners medal as the other City players. Yeah, right. Course you are Fabian, everyone will remember you in years to come...even their own clubs must forget to invite such players to future anniversary celebrations!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We are still going sign players and spend £50m plus lot of panicking going on. Our squad is not as bad as the last half of the season suggests, CH lost his shit for some reason and stopped trying to win games. Arsenal away we played well and could of won let the shackles off and we will be fine.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I guess you are of the opinion that we should have stuck with CH and blame the recruitment team for supplying duds last season from your recent posts?

Only time will tell, none of us will know if it was the right decision for a few months yet but I do see lots of “told you so” posts coming up regardless, but there is absolutely no way the inners or the outers can claim the high ground just yet.

A car crash season under CH would have been much harder to take imo, but I will hold my hand up to being wrong if we are anywhere near as shit to watch next season.

I remember that we both we sang from the same hymn sheet during all of Mark McGhee’s tenure though :smile:

Here goes... Eye told ewe sew.

Just getting in some pre-season training.

It’s a work in progress, needs refining.

I reckon come the end of September it’ll be perfected.

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
There's been quite a bit written about how our chances next season are looking rather dubious, for mainly the following reasons. A new manager who doesn't have PL experience. A squad that is lacking in quality in certain areas, namely central midfield and up front. A style of football that requires an overhaul. A lack of players that are being linked as possible transfers with PL experience.

In Graham Potter we have one of the most intelligent, innovative and hard working of managers. He has shown a deep understanding of tactical team play from his time at Osterunds and Swansea. There is a tangible evidence he can develop, encourage and ultimately improve players, coupled with an ability to assess the type of player needed to create a multi functional squad. This squad will be able to switch between formations during game time as per the managers requirements. Graham Potter has achieved this at both his previous posts and in a timely manner. This bodes well and offers a degree of confidence.

We already have a sound squad. Our central midfield will need strengthening but in Bissouma and Propper we already have real quality. What can Potter get out of Kayal and Stephens? Added to that the probable additions and again we can look forward with a degree of confidence.

What can Andone and Locadia achieve next season with a manager who wants his team to be mobile, to attack quickly once the opposition press is beaten and considers possession of the ball a form of defence. Scoring goals will surely be easier under such conditions. Confidence will improve throughout the team by a more positive brand of football being introduced. I can see the squad thriving under such guidance.

It looks like the club believe in their recruitment team, and as such don't believe the considerable amount of money laid out for players thus far, to have been squandered, rather that they have been mismanaged. I am also of this opinion.

Any new arrivals need not necessarily have PL experience. The likes of Brookes, Maddison and Harvey Barnes didn't. Again, it's down to our recruitment team, which the upcoming season will define how they are to be judged on transfers past and present.

Call me an old romantic but in the appointment of Graham Potter we could again be moving forward as a club. :bhasign:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Shucks, Dutch, you old sausage, what a fabulous post, lyrically constructed believable prose. A wee bit of pottering about and we'll hopefully be 'on our way' again.

I do see the sacking of McGhee and Hughton as comparable. Both deserved longer after what they achieved for the club. But of course loyalty is a no way street these days, it is practised neither by owners nor the people they employ.

I was a frequent critic of Hughton’s deep defence tactics, it was awful to watch but at the end of the day no one particularly cared about this when we were winning most of our games at home, which was for a good season and a half.

I’d certainly prefer to watch Brighton teams that press higher and more aggressively. But I simply don’t know if that would have got us more points.

The idea that football fans are comforted by an attacking style of play when losing matches is a fantasy, is it not?

Hughton has to take some blame for the poor signings but so do the board and recruitment guys. But he was a popular manager who Brighton fans loved for his achievements. Potter starts with goodwill of course but it will be much shallower given his nonexistent record for the club.

I do feel we are now in the same situation post the Poyet sacking. The board have to raise the spending to allow us to go to that next level, otherwise Potter could have a difficult time

I think we will find ourselves struggling to stay out of the bottom 3, which for me is fine as long as we show that we're willing to try and win the game and lose trying.
It was nothing worse last season (looking at you Burnley and Saints at home) when after the first half hour you knew we were going to lose as the initial momentum we had going into the game evaporated quickly. I was bored with how we were playing although I knew there was a reason for it due to the pressure.

So yes I hope it will be more enjoyable watching us play, even if we end up losing. I think if we can see how the team are evolving most of us would grudgingly accept us being relegated without calling for the Managers head.

On the other hand, you read the excitable threads on Villatalk and S24su about being promoted and how far up the table they think there going to finish and it's quite cringeworthy! They really are in for a shock!

Reckon the true Villa fans know it will be tough, they had season after season of being torn to shreds near the bottom of the Prem. The excitable thread starters on messageboards among them, sure not so much

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here