Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football365 article on Potter

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Enjoyed reading that.

Cannot wait for transfer season and start of play.

D

Deleted member 2719

Thanks for this, best article I have seen on Potter and the Albion.

I can't wait to see how he transforms us and see some youth players grow into first team starters.

This is a dawning of a new era. :rave::rave:

https://youtu.be/g9ys86GV0Lk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Trust the Bloom.....

bloom.jpeg

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Well that’s a great article, well balanced and couldn’t agree more.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Great article that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well that’s a great article, well balanced and couldn’t agree more.
Well that’s a great article, well balanced and . . . . we'll see .....................

Hopeful. Will be delighted if we see some of our academy players breaking through (and the team doing well). Still a big leap into uncertainty though; fingers firmly crossed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That was a terrific read. Nuanced and balanced, grounded in the understanding of exactly why CH was binned off, and all backed up with some startling stats.

I was dismayed (but not surprised) to read this weekend that BHA came 20th out of 20 in terms of the number of touches inside the oppositions penalty area last season. Its just not good enough, and after the initial shock and surprise at Hughton's dismissal, I'm now glad he's gone. We couldn't carry on like that.

Whether Potter can fix it remains to be seen, but I think TB has made the right move in trying.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Decent article and really wets the appetite for next sesson. Innovative of Brighton, the home of holistic football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That was a terrific read. Nuanced and balanced, grounded in the understanding of exactly why CH was binned off, and all backed up with some startling stats.

I was dismayed (but not surprised) to read this weekend that BHA came 20th out of 20 in terms of the number of touches inside the oppositions penalty area last season. Its just not good enough, and after the initial shock and surprise at Hughton's dismissal, I'm now glad he's gone. We couldn't carry on like that.

Whether Potter can fix it remains to be seen, but I think TB has made the right move in trying.

I'm such a woolly libtard that still doesn't sit well with me.

I go with the same sentiment only I need to shift the blame:-

'It's such a shame CH couldn't shake off his natural tendencies when slowing backing into a corner'.
Or words to that effect.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Interesting that is says; "This is why Potter was targeted by Brighton, with whispers that discussions between the two parties took place as early as February.." Hopefully this means that he has been keeping an eye on the team for a while and has an idea of what our players are actually like already. Lets be honest it was pretty grim from February so I'm not sure he would be too keen on keeping many of them. Anyway, very good positive article and I can't wait to see how he get's on, even if there will be a few blips along the way!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
“but if Hughton was the safe option, he had an odd way of showing it. Brighton took ten points from a possible 51 between January and May.”

For me this sums up why we binned Hughton off perfectly.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Interesting that is says; "This is why Potter was targeted by Brighton, with whispers that discussions between the two parties took place as early as February.." Hopefully this means that he has been keeping an eye on the team for a while and has an idea of what our players are actually like already. Lets be honest it was pretty grim from February so I'm not sure he would be too keen on keeping many of them. Anyway, very good positive article and I can't wait to see how he get's on, even if there will be a few blips along the way!

I am fully supportive of the timing and fact that Hughton was sacked, but this bit, if true, leaves me feeling a little uneasy. Are they suggesting that the club were already in contact with a possible replacement for Chris that far ago?

I'm not sure if that feels 'right' to me.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I am fully supportive of the timing and fact that Hughton was sacked, but this bit, if true, leaves me feeling a little uneasy. Are they suggesting that the club were already in contact with a possible replacement for Chris that far ago?

I'm not sure if that feels 'right' to me.

I have no idea how the football world works with regard to 'tapping up' but I presume it goes on all the time and to define it must be near on impossible. For example if Dan Ashworth goes to watch Swansea play and has a 'chat' with Potter - is that tapping up? If he asks him if he has ambitions to manage in the Premier League is that tapping up? Maybe they just have a conversation about football philosophy etc.. Didn't Alex Ferguson have dinner with Pochettino a while back - is that an example of it?

It seems naive to think football people don't chat to each other just as they do in all other industries, I just don't know what constitutes crossing the line into tapping up?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'This is why Potter was targeted by Brighton, with whispers that discussions between the two parties took place as early as February as owner Tony Bloom looked to take the club into a new era.'

I'm sticking to my theory that Bloom decided a LONG time ago that a change was needed and it's his new 'five-year-plan'. Especially when the Academy will probably play a big role in this era and:

'This season, Hughton gave only 28 league appearances to players aged 23 and under at the end of the season; Yves Bissouma accounts for all 28. Instead, 68% of all league appearances were given to players aged 27 and over. Against Wolves in April, Hughton picked a starting XI with an average age of 29.4.'

I wouldn't go so far as Easy and say I'm glad CH has gone, but I do totally understand why.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
'This is why Potter was targeted by Brighton, with whispers that discussions between the two parties took place as early as February as owner Tony Bloom looked to take the club into a new era.'

I'm sticking to my theory that Bloom decided a LONG time ago that a change was needed and it's his new 'five-year-plan'. Especially when the Academy will probably play a big role in this era and:

'This season, Hughton gave only 28 league appearances to players aged 23 and under at the end of the season; Yves Bissouma accounts for all 28. Instead, 68% of all league appearances were given to players aged 27 and over. Against Wolves in April, Hughton picked a starting XI with an average age of 29.4.'

I wouldn't go so far as Easy and say I'm glad CH has gone, but I do totally understand why.

This. We have invested a massive amount in the Academy and it needs to start paying something back. Playing increasingly safe football with the older squad members wasn’t going to cut it any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here