Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football365 article on Potter

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is all much too exciting so it’s bound to end in tears

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Really good article. I think it will be interesting to see what Bloom's strategic priority really is. Is it Premier League survival or is it the establishment of a footballing philosophy that is entertaining and encourages development of young (and cheap) talent? Obviously, the desire will be to achieve both but when push comes to shove, what will Bloom choose? My hunch is the latter as otherwise he could have kept Chris and bought him players that could play to his demands. However, will that hold when/if we get dragged into another relegation battle?
My hope is that, as an earlier poster wrote, this is part of a long term strategy that will be stuck to even if we have to take a step backwards to achieve it. Football is about more than the PL - both off and on the pitch - and I think that Bloom and the rest of his team recognise that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Meanwhile, I’m sure Andy Naylor will be along any second to refute this article since it mentions Hughton using long balls and older players and methods. Any second. In 3, 2, 1.....

Oh.

Andy? Annnddyy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really good article. I think it will be interesting to see what Bloom's strategic priority really is. Is it Premier League survival or is it the establishment of a footballing philosophy that is entertaining and encourages development of young (and cheap) talent? Obviously, the desire will be to achieve both but when push comes to shove, what will Bloom choose? My hunch is the latter as otherwise he could have kept Chris and bought him players that could play to his demands. However, will that hold when/if we get dragged into another relegation battle?
My hope is that, as an earlier poster wrote, this is part of a long term strategy that will be stuck to even if we have to take a step backwards to achieve it. Football is about more than the PL - both off and on the pitch - and I think that Bloom and the rest of his team recognise that.

Staying up and trousering 100 million + or getting relegated and having to fund the club? I know which TB will be very keen on doing and no playing philosophy will over ride that imo

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Staying up and trousering 100 million + or getting relegated and having to fund the club? I know which TB will be very keen on doing and no playing philosophy will over ride that imo

That would have been my opinion if wasn't for the fact that if that is the case, appointing Potter is a massive gamble. Bloom is a gambler but, as I understand it, he's made his (b)millions through analysis and finding the margins not so much through speculative throws of the dice. I don't know if he'd change his approach now.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I am fully supportive of the timing and fact that Hughton was sacked, but this bit, if true, leaves me feeling a little uneasy. Are they suggesting that the club were already in contact with a possible replacement for Chris that far ago?

I'm not sure if that feels 'right' to me.

They probably have people lined up for most roles though, on and off the pitch; a kind of short list / wish list just in case.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
"This is why Potter was targeted by Brighton, with whispers that discussions between the two parties took place as early as February as owner Tony Bloom looked to take the club into a new era."

It's comes as no surprise that from February to the end of season the Albion only managed one home win against a relegated Huddersfield and a solitary away win against Palace.

Since February the Albion went into free fall, draw your own conclusions.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
"This is why Potter was targeted by Brighton, with whispers that discussions between the two parties took place as early as February as owner Tony Bloom looked to take the club into a new era."

It's comes as no surprise that from February to the end of season the Albion only managed one home win against a relegated Huddersfield and a solitary away win against Palace.

He's a witch! Burn him!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'm sticking to my theory that Bloom decided a LONG time ago that a change was needed and it's his new 'five-year-plan'.

This is something I've come round to in the last week or so. Seems replacing CH is a bit less of a snap decision especially given Dan Ashworth's appointment last year. I think that showed Bloom's long term intent to change the dynamic of the club leadership.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This. We have invested a massive amount in the Academy and it needs to start paying something back. Playing increasingly safe football with the older squad members wasn’t going to cut it any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this on a thread about Dan Ashworth and youth policy back in April:-

Quite a few of the overseas players who have been bought recently are too old to qualify as Home Grown Players (the likes of Viktor Gyokeres, Soufyan Ahannach, Ales Mateju, the departed Mathias Mormann and recent signings Tudor Baluta and Jan Mlakar). And you can spend a fortune on building a wonderful academy and then running it annually - as Tony Bloom has done - but probably the single most important factor in developing young players is having a first-team manager who is willing to play them, and that is one thing that Albion can't lay claim to.

I must admit, at the time I didn't think Bloom would contemplate firing Hughton, but CH's record on utilising academy players was shocking. I don't think it was the MAIN reason Hughton was fired, but I'm sure it was a factor....

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I read it and thought it was an excellent article. The most refreshing thing was the lack of cliche that most writers seem to have fallen into regarding this management change. More pundits and journalists should take note.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Good article and some great stats. But did anyone else see the comments? WTF?

MB: This leaves so much out from the story. The Chairman of the club embezzled money from his building company to finance the move up through the divisions and is now facing prosecution.*

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Surely anyone still hanging on to the wish that we hadn’t sacked CH should be forced to read his and counter the claims/facts/stats and then tell
us in a similar way why he should stay.

I love CH for what he achieved and gave our Club but to anyone with eyes or functioning ears this change NEEDED to happen.

I’m thankful that we have a proactive hands on owner who thinks three, four or even five steps down the line and then sticks to his implementation plans even in the face of some significant challenge from supporters.

I’m also thankful for the lengths of statistical analysis we go to to determine these next steps. It’s made TB his fortune and that’s what’s got us to where we are today so for me I’m all in behind TB wherever that takes us.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I think we are all assuming TB has targeted both.

That was an interesting read and confirms what a lot of us have been pointing out as reasons Hughton was fired. Some shocking statistics amassed by Hughton's Albion last season. 28 league appearances by players under 23? That is shocking considering how much money was spent on that age group. That average age of 29.7 for one game is expected though when Bruno and Murray were in the team. We were however one of the oldest squad's in the PL.

I'm looking forward to watching The Albion again. We could lose a lot of games (like last season) but we might enjoy ourselves again. We may even score a goal or two in the process.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

How do you explain our shit run from Dec 9?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Well that’s a great article, well balanced and . . . . we'll see .....................

Hopeful. Will be delighted if we see some of our academy players breaking through (and the team doing well). Still a big leap into uncertainty though; fingers firmly crossed.

Of course you are right but I would prefer to fail gloriously that atrophy into Stoke. It would be even better if it led to success.

No doubt it was a big gamble but I like Potter and his philosophy and His hope it all goes swimmingly .

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
“but if Hughton was the safe option, he had an odd way of showing it. Brighton took ten points from a possible 51 between January and May.”

For me this sums up why we binned Hughton off perfectly.

Burnley picked up 12 points from 57 in the first half of last season. Would you have sacked Sean Dyche ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here