Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle takeover?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
How long before all the Premier League clubs are bought up by rich foreign nationals ?
Others will start to feel left out soon and a team will turn into a must have item, something to do at the weekend sort of thing.
The Premier League could in fact end up as the new Super League after all, without any European or other nations club teams involved at all.
There's a thought.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
By that do you mean multiple threads on the same team that isn't the Albion? if so, yes.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Another oil-soaked Arabian takeover in the offing then, from the cousin of Sheikh Mansour at City, who is about to buy the geordies for £350m.

If this deal goes through then it goes without saying that the FSW will stay there. Given limitless funds ("within FFP"), with that stadium, manager and fanbase, this could potentially launch Newcastle into being serious top 6 challengers. In a way I'm surprised that this hasn't happened sooner, that club has massively under-achieved for decades.

If they get some serious arab money behind them, they could be huge. Man Utd are in freefall, Arsenal drifting. Wolves are resurgent, could Newcastle gatecrash the party ? We might be seeing a proper shakeup over the next few seasons.

Was all that just so you could get the crap pun into the last paragraph?

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Sure I remember reading that Mansour originally wanted Newcastle and only went for City after meeting Ashley and not liking him or his attitude.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Historically I think clubs in the North East have struggled to attract players due to its geography; it’s not as an attractive place to live for young players (and their wags) as London or the Cheshire region.

Granted this issue can be overcome if infinite funds are thrown at it, however I think it’s a major reason that big clubs like Newcastle and Sunderland have struggled to become consistent, top flight sides in recent years and I think I’ll be a lot harder to turn the Magpies into genuine title contenders than it was Citeh.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Deal is far from certain, potential new owner could just be looking for publicity and was found short last year when bidding for Liverpool at £2bn.

So not turned down by Liverpool then as some reports are suggesting?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Historically I think clubs in the North East have struggled to attract players due to its geography; it’s not as an attractive place to live for young players (and their wags) as London or the Cheshire region.

Granted this issue can be overcome if infinite funds are thrown at it, however I think it’s a major reason that big clubs like Newcastle and Sunderland have struggled to become consistent, top flight sides in recent years and I think I’ll be a lot harder to turn the Magpies into genuine title contenders than it was Citeh.

So Manchester City have become the dominant force in English football because there are nice houses in Cheshire... Clearly you haven't been up North lately and seen some of the massive houses being built in places like Ponteland or sampled the Newcastle night life...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So Manchester City have become the dominant force in English football because there are nice houses in Cheshire... Clearly you haven't been up North lately and seen some of the massive houses being built in places like Ponteland or sampled the Newcastle night life...
[MENTION=494]Kosh[/MENTION] will fill you in [MENTION=17745]Poojah[/MENTION] on the nightlife in Newcastle, he seems to quite like it :smile:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I may be lacking in ambition for the Albion but I would fecking HATE a takeover like that. The soul of the club would be sold imo.

Fully agree but the fans will be happy to get rid off the R soul of the club.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Good for them. Bad for those of us in the ‘Other 14’ which perhaps should be relabelled ‘Other 13’ now.

Genuinely wish the top 6/7 would sod off into a Pan European league and leave the remaining 85 League Clubs to re-jig and get back to an old school football contest where glory of winning trumps the football arms race.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Nice bit of business if Ashley pulls it off. Meanwhile football is slowly eating itself...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
[MENTION=494]Kosh[/MENTION] will fill you in [MENTION=17745]Poojah[/MENTION] on the nightlife in Newcastle, he seems to quite like it :smile:

I feel a square making coming on...

Actually, yes, I love the nightlife in the toon and surrounding areas. Naturally I love the rock bar Trillians, obviously, being a disciple of Ritchie Blackmore... I like the ladies of Gosforth, and I was raised (as it were) on the 'mean' streets of Darras Hall... I have retired to the sacred streets of Alnwick, but be warned the K Dogg is hitting town at the end of June.

There will be beer, and... carnage.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Maybe they will actually get some money out of whatever new sponsorship deal arises. To go from Mike Ashley's apparent sponsor-for-nothing attitude to the prospective new owner's family alleged trait of pretend you have a sponsor but put the money in yourself, it could all come as quite a shock to the NUFC accountants!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here